What to Buy ? Feinwerkbau P8X vs Walther LP 500

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
brent375hh

Re: What to Buy ? Feinwerkbau P8X vs Walther LP 500

Post by brent375hh »

There are some strange people that just like to try new things.

Every bought a new car when the old one still ran OK? I know I have bought new cars when the prior one didn't have 100K miles on them.

I still had some 27" tube TVs that worked just fine, but I recycled them anyway.

I know people that renovated their kitchen, when the old one was still perfectly capable of supplying food on the table.

Hell, I know people that got a new spouse, and their prior one wasn't even dead yet, and still appeared functional!

Are the people that buy stuff that they want, but don't need, all trying to buy "points" in life, or maybe they just don't want to hoard their money, and just go purchase what they might enjoy.

Nobody Needs more than basic necessities, but some of us like to dabble in newer/different anyway.
nmondal

Post by nmondal »

brent375hh wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:03 am There are some strange people that just like to try new things.

Every bought a new car when the old one still ran OK? I know I have bought new cars when the prior one didn't have 100K miles on them.

I still had some 27" tube TVs that worked just fine, but I recycled them anyway.

I know people that renovated their kitchen, when the old one was still perfectly capable of supplying food on the table.

Hell, I know people that got a new spouse, and their prior one wasn't even dead yet, and still appeared functional!

Are the people that buy stuff that they want, but don't need, all trying to buy "points" in life, or maybe they just don't want to hoard their money, and just go purchase what they might enjoy.

Nobody Needs more than basic necessities, but some of us like to dabble in newer/different anyway.
Well, yes, but in my case .. my trigger is creating problem and grip IS a problem!

Image Image Image Image

This is exactly what I was shooting - because, literally my trigger "broke". It became so so so so hard - that I had to tinker it.
Also before I tried fixing the grip because it was paining.
That was still me - with an AP 20 Pro Hammerli. The gun broke.

I understand the sentiment of all of you guys..but I just did one of the great failures of my life, because 7 days before the state competition my gun broke. And I was shooting these prior to that. Even with the broken gun I was shooting this:

But in the competition - I shot 328. Take that. It is everlasting shame for me.
And I do not like to be that way.
Hope you all understand. There should be 0 excuse from me, whatever comes next.
10 M Air pistol : Walther LP 500 Basic | Earlier Hammerli AP 20 Pro.
Newbie shooting questions : http://targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=63530
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Stop worrying about the hardware so much. Do a search on "mental management"
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

nmondal wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:11 am
brent375hh wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:03 am There are some strange people that just like to try new things.

Well, yes, but in my case .. my trigger is creating problem and grip IS a problem!

Image Image Image Image

This is exactly what I was shooting - because, literally my trigger "broke". It became so so so so hard - that I had to tinker it.
Also before I tried fixing the grip because it was paining.
That was still me - with an AP 20 Pro Hammerli. The gun broke.

I understand the sentiment of all of you guys..but I just did one of the great failures of my life, because 7 days before the state competition my gun broke. And I was shooting these prior to that. Even with the broken gun I was shooting this:

But in the competition - I shot 328. Take that. It is everlasting shame for me.
And I do not like to be that way.
Hope you all understand. There should be 0 excuse from me, whatever comes next.
Just to be clear, I was not saying you don't need a new gun. If YOU THINK you need a new gun, well you probably should get one.

BTW Hammeri/Walther is pretty much same thing.
nmondal

Post by nmondal »

brent375hh wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:13 pm Just to be clear, I was not saying you don't need a new gun. If YOU THINK you need a new gun, well you probably should get one.
Yes! Thank you - and yeah I know I can now reuse the 2 Cylinders. But in my case no one gave me a Small grip and the trigger broke.
In fact Hammerli AP 20 has a history of the trigger becoming tight.
http://targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=60896
:-)
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

nmondal wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:44 pm
brent375hh wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:13 pm Just to be clear, I was not saying you don't need a new gun. If YOU THINK you need a new gun, well you probably should get one.
Yes! Thank you - and yeah I know I can now reuse the 2 Cylinders. But in my case no one gave me a Small grip and the trigger broke.
In fact Hammerli AP 20 has a history of the trigger becoming tight.
http://targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=60896
:-)
My comment about Hammerli/Walther was not about cylinder use. If you are not happy with Hammerli design and quality, I doubt you would be in love with the Walther trigger either.

Is it possible that your trigger didn't break, but just broke in, and needs a slight adjustment to get it back to like new? Do you have enough play in your over travel after sear release?
McMadCow

Post by McMadCow »

When I upgraded to my LP 500 from the P44, I shot a new PR within a month. Broke the old record by 4 points.
So it's definitely possible to buy points. It's just that points apparently cost $625 each.
nmondal

Post by nmondal »

brent375hh wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:22 pm
My comment about Hammerli/Walther was not about cylinder use. If you are not happy with Hammerli design and quality, I doubt you would be in love with the Walther trigger either.

Is it possible that your trigger didn't break, but just broke in, and needs a slight adjustment to get it back to like new? Do you have enough play in your over travel after sear release?
OMG - I scored 377/400 using that Hammerli. Personal best 97/100. So no question about quality.
And yes, we all tried playing with the travel after sear release - and I think I have to send it for servicing.
I believe, the manual suggested to use oil free grease, and I did use some - which locked it up. Once we oil the pellet loading tray,
the trigger becomes smooth for 1~2 months or so.
I have no doubt in the quality of the Hammerli - or Walther LP 500. It is just that ( probably due my own stupidity ) my gun went bonkers.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

nmondal wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:19 am
brent375hh wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:22 pm

OMG - I scored 377/400 using that Hammerli. Personal best 97/100. So no question about quality.
And yes, we all tried playing with the travel after sear release - and I think I have to send it for servicing.
I believe, the manual suggested to use oil free grease, and I did use some - which locked it up. Once we oil the pellet loading tray,
the trigger becomes smooth for 1~2 months or so.
I have no doubt in the quality of the Hammerli - or Walther LP 500. It is just that ( probably due my own stupidity ) my gun went bonkers.
Was your trigger OK, until you put the olive oil in it?
nmondal

Post by nmondal »

brent375hh wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:16 am Was your trigger OK, until you put the olive oil in it?
No. It was stuck. And then Olive Oil fixed it.
Shooterer

Post by Shooterer »

to skip the last 30 posts.

I bought the P8X (thought you would like to know)
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

Shooterer wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:45 pm to skip the last 30 posts.

I bought the P8X (thought you would like to know)
Its on my short list. My hand is 93mm across the knuckles and I use a large in a Story stock grip, and Rink. I am trying to figure our Feinwerkbau sizing.
top end

Post by top end »

Medium will be a perfect fit. I have the same size hand and my P8X medium grip is perfect.
django

Post by django »

I was bought :
1. Steyr LP10
2. Stery evo10
3. Morini 162El
4. Walther LP400 (only a few months and I sold it)
5. WFB P8X

conclusion :
"I will not put my money on any Walther air pistol". I bought it and I sold it. I experience a Build Quality problem with LP 400 and never buy any Walther since then.

Value for money: I will choose FWB p8x. You get 2 air pressure tanks, a good carrying case with a secure lock (Best of all of them). Best mechanical trigger and easy to tuning (all explained in the manual book). Good grip, but not good as Morini grip (my personal opinion) and build quality.
william

Post by william »

30+ posts, and here's what we've learned:
I like X better than Y.
But I like Z better than A.
But my hand likes B's grip.
But I can't figure out how to adjust T's trigger.
Hold on. I definitely like Y better than X.
But it comes with only 1 cylinder.
But there's no local service for Q in Dripping Nostril, Montana.
But I don't live in Montana.
But I have this money I HAVE to spend.
Nyaaa, nyaaa!

It's not yet 11 AM, and I already need a drink.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

I guess until either we all can buy and try every gun made, or a forum guru just blatantly tells us what to purchase and use the rest of our lives, we will just have on rely on this forum, and it's voices of many opinions, to steer us in what to try next.

I do remember a few people that thought the LP10 was better that the P44, that now think the P8X is the best thing going. Just looking at the exploded drawings of both, they seem very similar.

The FWB absorber that gets bound up somehow without the rubber/plastic wedge in place is the only thing keeping me from placing my order. If it can get out of sequence just transporting it, I wonder if can happen in the middle of a match. Taking the grips off and coaxing it back in place would not be a confidence booster at an important match.
william

Post by william »

"[1] I guess until either we all can buy and try every gun made, or a forum guru just blatantly tells us what to purchase and use the rest of our lives, we will just have on rely on this forum, [2] and it's voices of many opinions, to steer us in what to try next."

1. I'd have more confidence in a decision based on two shooters I know personally who let me try their pistols than in any number of distant strangers.
2. At some point doesn't it become simply random noise?

Seriously (think before answering) will your performance / happiness be significantly different if, after all these questions & answers, you simply opt for the Steyr, or the FWB, or the Morini, or the Pardini, or...?
Green_Canoe

Post by Green_Canoe »

brent375hh wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:53 pm The FWB absorber that gets bound up somehow without the rubber/plastic wedge in place is the only thing keeping me from placing my order. If it can get out of sequence just transporting it, I wonder if can happen in the middle of a match. Taking the grips off and coaxing it back in place would not be a confidence booster at an important match.
This part has bothered me as well. Every other manufacturer has an absorber that doesn't need a travel lock. I would have thought German engineering could have produced a travel worthy design after all the other examples proved it could be done.
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

I've had my P8X for over three years and never had a problem with this part. I have never used the transport lock because I didn't know it was one!
And didn't know there could be a problem with rotation of the absorber until someone mentioned it here.
After three years of doing one or two sixty shot matches per month I found the absorber wasn't quite suppressing the recoil as well it was earlier. A simple adjustment in accordance with the manual and all was good again.
spektr

Post by spektr »

the transport lock is to prevent baggage handling gorillas from jarring it throwing the box around like a 3 pointer NBA shot.
In typical German OhDearGodICanOvengenieerThecrapoutofit fashion. It will protect the gun from everything short
of a Tactical Nuke. You have to be impressed with preemptive overkill. I mentioned it because I believe in full disclosure.
Im going to get a P8X when I get tired of my P44, and that might take a while since I just picked up a Skannaker to play with