ISSF rule change from 1st January 2013

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

narayanan

ISSF rule change from 1st January 2013

Post by narayanan »

The ISSF will change the rules of all its shooting disciplines from 1st january 2013. I am attaching the new rules. Check it out. I think it sukzzz. Especially for pistol shooters.
Attachments
New ISSF RULES.pdf
(164.06 KiB) Downloaded 1100 times
conradin

Post by conradin »

Horrible.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Would a barrel tuner count as a vibration reducer?
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Excellent question!

What about the absorber systems on most air rifles for the past decade?

Marcus
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Tim S wrote:Would a barrel tuner count as a vibration reducer?
My guess that is specifically what they are aiming at.

I'd take it further then ... what about the vibration reduction systems on the 9003s and the FWB 700s ... they specifically market their stabilization systems on those rifles to reduce recoil ... i.e vibration. Are these rifles no longer allowed?

Edit: Marcus you beat me to it!
taz

Post by taz »

Cr@p.
Now both my air pistols (Steyr LP10E and FWB 65) are illegal...
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

They had also better come up with a good definition of a seam for the "Jacket Left Side Panel".
Just purchased a new KT jacket that has stitching, but no full seam (Not all the way through ... just to hold inner panel in place).

This could junk just about every jacket out there.
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Taz,

Do not get too excited. I only posed the question about absorber systems because this rule is so vague. There is no definition of what is and is not a "Vibration Reduction System."

Marcus
Brian James

Post by Brian James »

FYI there is a similar thread in the Olympic Pistol Section.

Brian

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=36366
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

yeah, might be a good thing to merge these two threads...
#1texan

Post by #1texan »

We as shooters are just going to have to stand up and say NO. Most of us can't afford new equipment just because the ISSF wants to change the rules because they can. We have to say NO

Nathan
Disgusted

Post by Disgusted »

#1texan wrote:We as shooters are just going to have to stand up and say NO. Most of us can't afford new equipment just because the ISSF wants to change the rules because they can. We have to say NO
Nathan ... ISSF does not represent the shooters. They represent the IOC which is more concerned with TV revenue these days
trinity

Post by trinity »

The Vibration Reduction System rule change is especially peculiar.

I think just about every pistol on the line at an international competition these days have a recoil reduction system of some sort. Most of them are so integral to the gun that they cannot be removed or disabled.

I don't think the ISSF is saying we ALL have to go and buy new (old) guns that do not have these systems.

-trinity
#1texan

Post by #1texan »

I am well aware that the ISSF is not about supporting the shooters but it should be. And if they are only concerned with TV revenue then why all the changes to equipment?
Last edited by #1texan on Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taz

Post by taz »

Marcus wrote:Taz,

Do not get too excited. I only posed the question about absorber systems because this rule is so vague. There is no definition of what is and is not a "Vibration Reduction System."

Marcus
Marcus, it was a joke.
I doubt that they will deem illegal the stabilizer considering most of the current air pistol manufacturers have or are going that route.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Disgusted wrote: Nathan ... ISSF does not represent the shooters. They represent the IOC which is more concerned with TV revenue these days
Perhaps they ought to consider focusing their attention more exclusively on elements of TV coverage such as the debacle un-witnessed in the USA during this Paralympic Games. NBC bought the exclusive USA broadcast rights... then broadcast precisely ZERO SECONDS of live events, scheduled just FOUR HOURS of highly edited events well after their dates, and plans a 90 minute summary for sometime soon. With that sort of lame coverage I should think the IOC has a lot of serious introspection to do in the near future.

While viewing sports during the Olympic Games was somewhat tolerable here in Canada, BCTV's streaming quality was very hit-and-miss with some video being so pixelated as to be virtually unwatchable. They also re-played the same Kraft '4 Cheezes Italiano' commercial at the start of almost every video, and frequently during sporting events, to the point where I think I must have seen that same (un-fast-forwardable) commercial well over 100 times... ensuring that I will NEVER purchase a Kraft product again. And from what I've read, USA viewers had it even rougher. Basic broadcasting quality and availability are serious issues if the IOC wants income from commercial views. Radically changing the structure of our sport isn't going to matter if no one can see the sport in the first place.
Grzegorz

Post by Grzegorz »

I like most of the changes, but I am really shocked by this banning "vibration reduction systems"!

Shooting sport should deal with discovery of new devices, based on the scientific research. I completely do not see ANY reasonable cause to set it as forbidden. As more as in TV such systems look quite fine ;-)
Martin H

Post by Martin H »

I have been advised that this doc has not yet been released by the ISSF so someone has jumped the gun and posted on it here.

Clearly some rules need amendment. For instance banning vibration systems on rimfire rifles. Do they really mean tuners? Or in the stocks? Or in the barrel and action area? G&E Evolution stocks have had vibration dampers in the front end their stocks for the last 6-10 years. G&E Racers have damping systems between the barrel and action. The rule needs clarification. For instance, I do not believe that ISSF intend G&E stocks or barrels to banned.

Again the rule on air rifles needs clarification so it is clear what ISSF actually intend. Most production air rifles have had vibration dampener systems for about the last 10 years. Again I believe ISSF don't intend these to be banned.
Match times- Not convinced they needed to change it by so much.

Finals formats - At the top it says the finals format is going to be finalised at the Nov meeting of ISSF. Hopefully they finalise a system that can run on paper target systems too, not just electronic targets. I can't imagine trying judge a 10.4 from a 10.5 over the scope at 50m with mirage running and then eliminate a shooter based on my very hazy view of the target.
Cheers
Martin H
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

Martin H wrote:I have been advised that this doc has not yet been released by the ISSF so someone has jumped the gun and posted on it here.

Clearly some rules need amendment. For instance banning vibration systems on rimfire rifles. Do they really mean tuners? Or in the stocks? Or in the barrel and action area? G&E Evolution stocks have had vibration dampers in the front end their stocks for the last 6-10 years. G&E Racers have damping systems between the barrel and action. The rule needs clarification. For instance, I do not believe that ISSF intend G&E stocks or barrels to banned.

Again the rule on air rifles needs clarification so it is clear what ISSF actually intend. Most production air rifles have had vibration dampener systems for about the last 10 years. Again I believe ISSF don't intend these to be banned.
Match times- Not convinced they needed to change it by so much.

Finals formats - At the top it says the finals format is going to be finalised at the Nov meeting of ISSF. Hopefully they finalise a system that can run on paper target systems too, not just electronic targets. I can't imagine trying judge a 10.4 from a 10.5 over the scope at 50m with mirage running and then eliminate a shooter based on my very hazy view of the target.
Cheers
Martin H
I dont see how that changes between electronic and paper. we have done finalls on paper for 50m pistol where you simply shoot a shot, then your pistol is cleared, people walk out onto the range and measure the shots, call them out and then leave the range.
Grzegorz

Post by Grzegorz »

Martin H wrote:I have been advised that this doc has not yet been released by the ISSF so someone has jumped the gun and posted on it here.

Cheers
Martin H
You are right, the document has been sent up to now to the Members of the: ISSF Executive Committee, ISSF Administrative Council, ISSF Section Committees only. However, as an official document it has no "top sectret" stamp :-) I am sure that the authors realized well that this immediately could be spread around. HOWEVER, one should remember that these changes are not obligatory, yet. Some minor changes are still possible. I suppose, that time until November is going to be used as consulting period with national federations. From my experience - ISSF committees really read opinions sent to them and often take them into account, so some organized "papers" could have the impact. I will surely ask my national federation to present negative opinion concerning banning "anti-vibration systems".