New guy with questions

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

mjgericke

New guy with questions

Post by mjgericke »

Hello,

I'm interested in competing in air rifle competitions and I've recently purchased a Daisy Avanti 753 rifle. I realize that it's not the best rifle in the world, but it was in a reachable price range. I'm wondering if there is a better sight set that isn't overly expensive that would be a decent upgrade to the diopter peep sight that came with the rifle? I was given a Gehmann 510 Diopter peep, but it doesn't fit. Being that I'm new to the competitive air rifle arena, my knowledge is extremely limited. Could anyone point in me in the right direction? Thanks for your help!

~ Matt
peepsight

New to air rifle shooting

Post by peepsight »

Hi Matt

Go with your Daisy Avanti until you have learned all the basics of 10m air rifle shooting. As for decent sights, i suggest you don't spend too much on the Daisy as i can assure you that if the bug bites you will be looking for one of the German/Austrian match rifles which by the way can often be found second hand if price is a problem.

Check out some of the dealers who carry match grade air rifles and accessories. I also suggest that you get advice from already established target air rifle shooters if you have a club nearby

Peepsight
B.T.Carstensen

Post by B.T.Carstensen »

You can get better sights but I don't think you need them right now because you are new to the sport and that sight set on your gun was used to set the Sporter class national record 573 so get used to you gun before you start to up grade it. I can tell you from experience that when I shot sporter the better sights did not put that many points on my score.

--Brian--
Last edited by B.T.Carstensen on Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

I was given a Gehmann 510 Diopter peep, but it doesn't fit.
Might be a good thing .... if you are going to shoot Sporter under 3-PARC rules the gehmann sight on a 753 is not legal.

If you shoot precision, then no problem.
mjgericke

Post by mjgericke »

Sounds like good advice. I have a nasty habit of trying to run before I can walk. Patience isn't one of my better qualities. I'd like to join a club, but I'm not having much luck locating a club for air rifles.

It might not count for much, but I've qualified for the NRA Air Rifle Qualifications up through Marksman 1st Class. Now, with the cold Wisconsin weather, I can't really shoot outside anymore to advance much further than that.

Any suggestions as to what I should do with the Gehmann 510 peep that I was given? Sell it? Get a sight that it will fit on?

I appreciate your help!
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Sounds like good advice. I have a nasty habit of trying to run before I can walk. Patience isn't one of my better qualities. I'd like to join a club, but I'm not having much luck locating a club for air rifles.
Don't know if you've looked/called here:
http://www.wrpa.com/ Clubs in Wisconsin link

This is from the NRA site for the INTL Air Rifle Sectionals (Open)
Wisconsin

Oshkosh -- Saturday, March 03, 2007 - Sunday, March 11, 2007 (bernarde@uwosh.edu)
M. Bernarde, 800 Algoma Blvd, Oshkosh, WI 54901
Maybe they can steer you to a club in your area.
Joe66

My 2-cents

Post by Joe66 »

I recommend getting a used FWB 600 or 601. The 600 is cheaper. Price range should be $650 to $400 depend on the condition. If later you decide that 10-meter air rifle competition is not for you, you can always sell it for almost the same amount that you paid for. With the Daisy Avanti 753, you can get back most of what you pay for. The FWB 600/601 is just as accurate as any Match AR that is currently available today, and the quality is even better than some of today's match AR. The FWB 600 is superior in everyway compare to the Daisy Avanti 753. It fits your body much better, Much better trigger, better sights, much better accuracy, and it is MUCH easier to cock than the 753.

If you don't like to cock, get the FWB C60. It cost a little more and is a little harder to find.
B.T.Carstensen

Re: My 2-cents

Post by B.T.Carstensen »

Joe66 wrote:I recommend getting a used FWB 600 or 601. The 600 is cheaper. Price range should be $650 to $400 depend on the condition. If later you decide that 10-meter air rifle competition is not for you, you can always sell it for almost the same amount that you paid for. With the Daisy Avanti 753, you can get back most of what you pay for. The FWB 600/601 is just as accurate as any Match AR that is currently available today, and the quality is even better than some of today's match AR. The FWB 600 is superior in everyway compare to the Daisy Avanti 753. It fits your body much better, Much better trigger, better sights, much better accuracy, and it is MUCH easier to cock than the 753.

If you don't like to cock, get the FWB C60. It cost a little more and is a little harder to find.
But if he gets a FWB 600 he will have to shoot in precision class . And if he wants to be competitive he will have to spend money on at least coat.
Also he is new to the sport he should get his feet wet before he starts spending alot of money. He could buy all of what he needs in sporter for $650.00

--Brian--
Rutty

Post by Rutty »

I recommend getting a used FWB 600 or 601.
IIRC there were some quality and few design niggles with the FWB600 which were sorted out with the 601. I had a FWB601 for about 15 years and it was an excellent rifle. I have only relatively recently changed to an Anschutz 2002.

Try and hold out for a 601 or even a 602 if you decide to go down that route. Another alternative, even older, is the Walther LGR. This was one of the first single stroke pneumatics and a good specimen would be worth considering.

Rutty
WaltherWill

Post by WaltherWill »

I would say stick to Sporter until scores are at least 500/600 consisitently in 3P. Also, be careful of sporter rules. They are very restricitive when it comes to clothing and accesories.
Joe66

To Rutty

Post by Joe66 »

There is always design flaws. Everytime a new model comes out, it is better than the older model. Think about it, it has to be, else how can you get shooter to buy the new ones? I think most shooters agree that fromt he FWB 600 to the new P700, they can all shoot 400/400, the question is can you? If I think like you, why even get a 601, why not a P700?

I recommend the FWB 600 because it is the most easy to cock of all pneumatics, plus the mechanism is simple.
mjgericke

Post by mjgericke »

Okay, so this brings me to another question. What are the various air rifle formats and what kind of equiptment do each require?

Sporter?

10 Meter?

Precision?

3P = 3-Position?

What is the most common/easy to find form of air rifle competition?

Thanks

~ Matt
B.T.Carstensen

Post by B.T.Carstensen »

mjgericke wrote:Okay, so this brings me to another question. What are the various air rifle formats and what kind of equiptment do each require?

Sporter?

10 Meter?

Precision?

3P = 3-Position?

What is the most common/easy to find form of air rifle competition?

Thanks

~ Matt
Sporter-- Is the least expensive way to get into air rifle no special coat,pants, or boots and the gun is alot cheaper the a precision rifle.

10 meter--33 and 1/3 feet

Precision-- Can be vary expensive but scores are alot higher do to using
special coat, pants, and boots and you get to use a sweet rifle.

3P-- Prone, Standing, and kneeling in that order.

I think the easiest way to find some competition is to go the cmp websitehttp://www.odcmp.com/ or the USAS website (it is no tworking right now) http://www.usashooting.com/ or ask some people on this forum.
hope this helps

--Brian--
mjgericke

Post by mjgericke »

What exactly is a "precision" air rifle. Are we talking rifles like the Anschutz and Feinwerkbau? I'm embarrassed to admit that I thought the Avanti 753 was a precision air rifle. Seems to be quite a learning curve in this sport. :)

~ Matt
jrmcdaniel

Post by jrmcdaniel »

Another air rifle sport is Field Target. Http://www.aafta.org has information but the basic game is to shoot at targets from 10 to 55 yards with holes of 3/8" to 2" (smaller for closer distances, typically). The rifles used are often modified 10M guns but there are many others. Scopes are normal equipment (both for the distances, accuracy, and range finding).

If you like precision shooting and airguns, this is a very active sport.

Best,

Joe McDaniel
Damascus Izaak (Walton) Field Target Association (DIFTA) Match Director
Damascus, MD
B.T.Carstensen

Post by B.T.Carstensen »

Yes a precision air rifle is a Anschutz and Feinwerkbau but there are also Steyr,Hammerli, and Walther and a few more. If you what to look at some rifles
http://jga.anschuetz-sport.com/english. ... topicID=93
and
http://www.feinwerkbau.de/ceasy/modules ... nguageId=2 I do not know any other wedsite do a search on google and you will find some stuff.

--Brian--
B.T.Carstensen

Post by B.T.Carstensen »

Yes a precision air rifle is a Anschutz and Feinwerkbau but there are also Steyr,Hammerli, and Walther and a few more. If you what to look at some rifles
http://jga.anschuetz-sport.com/english. ... topicID=93
and
http://www.feinwerkbau.de/ceasy/modules ... nguageId=2 I do not know any other wedsite do a search on google and you will find some stuff.
FYI your 753 has a WALTHER barrel.

--Brian--
Joe66

Field Target

Post by Joe66 »

The most active airgun sports is the Field TArget and Silhouette. I found this interesting webpage on How to shoot Field Target

http://www.geocities.com/general123lee/ ... de-FT.html
peepsight

Airgun shooting

Post by peepsight »

Hi Matt

Just a thought, get some like minded friends together and form your own club. I'm not sure of the procedures for doing this in the US or under state law but the NRA will send you all the details on how to do this. Even your local Police office or county may be able to advise you.

It will i guess be much easier to form an indoor 10m club than an out door fire arms club purely on safety issues.

Good luck

Peepsight
mjgericke

Post by mjgericke »

I wish I had like-minded friends. It seems as though I always develop the desire to participate in hobbies that are unpopular or of no interested to my friends. I guess I need new friends! :D

~ Matt