Lightest Pistol Box

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Misny

Lightest Pistol Box

Post by Misny »

Does anyone know who currently makes the lightest weight gun box for bullseye pistol shooting? The smallest Strong case which Champion Choice sells is 12 lbs. Does anyone know what the case Larry Carter sells, weighs? Maybe there is something else out there that is lighter.
Isabel1130

light pistol box

Post by Isabel1130 »

Quite a few people seem to by buying the Pelican fiberglass cases and converting them into pistol boxes. I have one right now that I am working on for international. They come with pick and pluck foam on the inside that can be configured to your requirements. The box I have is a 1510 and it weighs about 13 pounds with the foam but without the guns. the only issue with this is I am going to have to drill it in two places. the first is to install a spring that will hold it open easily at a 90 degree angle. I was able to buy the same spring that came installed in my Kalispel box. Also I am going to have to screw in a small block of wood to hold the Hebard scope mount. Good news is, it has wheels and a pull out handle so I don't have to carry it often.
My main bullseye box is a Kalispel aluminum bullseye box and I believe it weighs about the same empty. It is a great box and only causes a problem when I am at a shooting place that has very small tables as the base of the box takes up most of the table.
http://www.creedmoorsports.com/store/pr ... t=0&page=1

http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1510

Good luck. Isabel
mikeschroeder

Re: Lightest Pistol Box

Post by mikeschroeder »

Misny wrote:Does anyone know who currently makes the lightest weight gun box for bullseye pistol shooting? The smallest Strong case which Champion Choice sells is 12 lbs. Does anyone know what the case Larry Carter sells, weighs? Maybe there is something else out there that is lighter.
Hi

The small Strong box is probably the best bet on the market today. It's well made (Strong...), sturdy, and light enough to carry around. It only holds three pistols, but you only use 3 in a 2700, or two a day at Camp Perry (primary and backup). It holds enough ammo and cleaning supplies to get through the day, and it holds a scope in the box also.

Gun ho boxes are lighter and more versatile, but they are also out of production, and they're not as sturdy. Unless you have a cart or several bearers, don't buy the 4 gun Strong box weighing 18 pounds. I have a used one and only use it for local 2700's where I KNOW I only have to carry it about 15 feet.

Later

Mike
Wichita KS
JLK

Post by JLK »

For maximum convenience I highly recommend a traditional pistol box.
You may want to check this website out:
http://www.bullseyegear.com/bullseyepis ... .php?cat=6
He's really good to deal with and very responsive. You may want to contact him to see if there is any hope of the GunHo boxes becoming available any time soon.
For me a gun box is kinda like a garage...the bigger it is the more stuff I seem to accumulate. The bigger the gun box the more you'll pile in it.
One other suggestion is to get the shoulder strap kit you can buy from the website above or Gil Hebard. Makes carrying any size box much easier.
Good luck!
JLK

Box

Post by Guest »

Try a Jensen tool box of appropriate size. They are made of ABS plastic and are very impact resistant. Very light weight. Do not slide them on a concrete floor, because they are not abraision resistant. They have a built in 3 wheel combination lock. They come in olive drab or black and they have 8 protective corners. They are airline approved if they allow guns on your flight. Address unknown. I bouight mine 20 years ago. Just Google "Jensen Tools".
Misny

Post by Misny »

Thanks for the responses. It looks like the small Strong box is the lightest weight one out there. There sure are a lot of plastic Jensen tool boxes. Never could find the one that was mentioned.
little_doodie

Post by little_doodie »

I have an old box that holds up to 3 guns.
the weight of the box is not the most signifigant.
If you put 3 guns in it, ammo for the guns, a spotting scope, and all the other tools the contents of the box weighs alot.
I limit what i put in the box to what I need so I don't need a caddie to carry my box.
Personally I would rather carry my 3 gun box with one gun in it and a different box with my 45 and my backup gun and ammo.
then I can at least walk ballanced.
Orion

Post by Orion »

What ever you do, stay clear of Sportlock.

They have the lightest box on the market under 6 lbs.

I bought the Sportlock $80 case and dont recommend it. There's a
reason why it is $80 and not $200 like the other boxes. Every
component on and in the box is very cheap. I had one for 2 months,
averaging 20 range days a month. It started falling apart and have got rid of it since.

Pros
- It is cheap.
- It is black.
- Theres a back compartment.

Cons
- The padding on the inside is scratched up bad. Absolutely anything
that touches it will leave permenant marks on it.
- The plastic locks arent sturdy and have become looser.
- The main door can be tricky to close sometimes with 2 panels.
- The gun drawer wont glide. Its covered in some cheap velvet material
- The tighting mechanism on the drawer will periodically come loose,
as it is a bolt, nut, and screw tighting system. Your guns will move
around.
- The rail that holds the pistols upright will scratch the blueing
off your pistol. I wrapped rags around them for protection.
- You sometimes have to "fumble" with the panels on the main door to
open and close the case. Kinda lame.
- It isnt built like an $80 case, but rather a $35 case. So its still
not worth it.
- No shoulder strap.

Take this warning sign and dont buy one.

I just purchased a Strong Case from Champions Choice soon after.

Best way Ive protected my investment.