Morini electronic trigger v mechanical trigger?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Ken Mealing

Morini electronic trigger v mechanical trigger?

Post by Ken Mealing »

Most of the posts I see on this and other forums about the Morini 162 air pistol are about the electronic version.

Is the mechanical trigger version not so popular? Do shooters who prefer a mechanical devise prefer to use a Steyr or Feinwerkbau?
cdf

Post by cdf »

In Canada pretty well all the Morinis I have seen are Electronic triggered , The Mechanical trigger is reputed to be nice , but not as good as the electronic . I would go so far as to say , at the risk of incurring Francesco's wrath , that the electronic trigger is the main selection criteria .

If you are going the mechanical route , you would be better served by the greater flexability and range of adjustments of the Styer , or possibly the new FWB P44 .

Chris
Ken Mealing

Post by Ken Mealing »

Thanks, Chris.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Ken:

As probably one of the more "Notorious" electronic trigger proponents- I have to agree totally. The *only* reason to select the Morini is the general (albeit arguable, to some) superiority of the electronic, constant force profile trigger.

The Steyr is a superior pistol in many respects (except for the useless, and hopefully user-dactivatable "absorber" gizmo) and I anxiosuly await their planned launch of a constant force profile (electronic) trigger.

Steve Swartz
cdf

Post by cdf »

Steve Swartz wrote:Ken:

As probably one of the more "Notorious" electronic trigger proponents- I have to agree totally. The *only* reason to select the Morini is the general (albeit arguable, to some) superiority of the electronic, constant force profile trigger.

The Steyr is a superior pistol in many respects (except for the useless, and hopefully user-dactivatable "absorber" gizmo) and I anxiosuly await their planned launch of a constant force profile (electronic) trigger.

Steve Swartz
+1 on that , an LP10E would blow the doors off a lot of the competition . A FWB P44E might not be too bad either .

Chris
David M

Post by David M »

The mechanical trigger was produced because there were some parts of the world that could not get the 15 volt battery for the early electronic trigger pistols.
Now, that the new version uses AAA batteries so power is no longer a problem.
The big advantage of the Morini is the electronic trigger.
JulianY

Post by JulianY »

Steve Swartz wrote: The Steyr is a superior pistol in many respects (except for the useless, and hopefully user-dactivatable "absorber" gizmo) and I anxiosuly await their planned launch of a constant force profile (electronic) trigger.

Steve Swartz
LP10E Planned ? tell me more

J
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

JulianY wrote:
Steve Swartz wrote: The Steyr is a superior pistol in many respects (except for the useless, and hopefully user-dactivatable "absorber" gizmo) and I anxiosuly await their planned launch of a constant force profile (electronic) trigger.

Steve Swartz
LP10E Planned ? tell me more

J
The tale starts with 'once upon a time ....' ;-)

I have no doubt they will come up with one eventually but for now it's pretty much just at the rumour stage.

Rob.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

"Sometime Next Year" from company reps as reported in another thread.

Right now- ditto on the "Rumor Stage."

An LP10E would definitely capture the high end market- totally and completely.

Steve Swartz
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Steve Swartz wrote:An LP10E would definitely capture the high end market- totally and completely.
Unless Morini have got something new planned.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

David Levene wrote:
Steve Swartz wrote:An LP10E would definitely capture the high end market- totally and completely.
Unless Morini have got something new planned.
What could Morini do add some of those so called "useless gizmos"?
Jim E

Rumor Source - I confess

Post by Jim E »

Every April 1st its fun to post early in the AM the "Morini and Steyr have introduced a new and improve AP" story --- which is pure April Fols BS fiction - just to see who bits.

If rumors came true Scott Pilkington would be Olympic Champion.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

NON-useless gizmos like

- adjustable trigger (more than to and fro)
- adjustable grip (more than palmshelf up or down)

Steve
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Steve Swartz wrote:NON-useless gizmos like

- adjustable grip (more than palmshelf up or down)

Steve
Maybe you can explain how something that some say does nothing can bother some one when it doesn't work.

Personally I find a lot of the trigger adjustment on the Steyr far more useless than the absorber (I actually went back to the LP1 trigger shoe.)

I agree a more adjustable grip would be a big improvement.
cdf

Post by cdf »

could be real interesting ,

Chris
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Hey Ricahrd- you're probably confusing me with someone else- frankly, if the recoil absorber FAILED on the Steyr it would be an improvement . . . but only if it "failed safe" i.e. failed in such a way that it was at least as good as not having one at all.

A different poster (to whom you are probably referring) suggested that the Steyr absorber does not necessarily "fail safe" in all of its failure modes. Therefore, having the useless gizmo fail could indeed be worse than having it useless.

Consider the lowly "Dashboard Jesus." Useless, as long as it doesn't do any harm. But lets say when it "fails" it falls to the floor and wedges under the brake pedal, so that the brakes cannot be applied.

Kinda like the Steyr shock absorber. When it fails, it would be nice if it just "got out of the way" but unfortunately (as the other poster claimed, not me) when it fails it apparently causes more trouble than just "going away." [if for no other reason than it could be noted for it's absence, wreaking all sort of psychological havoc]

Anyhow

Owning neither a dashboard jesus nor a Steyr, my position is purely hypothetical.

But in a general sense, my experience with mechaical systems suggests that simpler is generally better; and any complication added to a system incurs a cost and should be able to "pay for itself" in value provided to the design. Shock absorbers in an air pistol do not- to me- seem to provide benefit worthy of the increased complexity and risk.

Steve Swartz
pgfaini

Post by pgfaini »

Hey Steve, I'm not normally overly sensitive, but in this age of anti-christian activity, especially during the Christmas Season, I'd rather not see Jesus's name used that way, especially when not capitalized in your second referance.
A pair of fuzzy dice would have sufficed to make the point.

Paul
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Sorry to offend you- Merry RamaHannaKwanzMas by the way- but the Fuzzy Dice analogy would not have included the "faith component" that many people place in their equipment.

Most people- me included- have a strong reluctance to question their decisions once made. If someone convinced you of the benefits of X, and you purchased X based (in part) on that "benefit," you will go to great lengths to defend X against all logic and reason.

I first noted this phenomenon among owners of Ford Pintos long after they had already been demonstrated to have a (frequently fatal) design flaw. In the face of all evidence tot he contgrary, that dang Pinto was the safest, most reliable car they had ever seen intheir whole lifetime.

So dashboard religious icon includes that factor; fuzzy dice does not.

Apologies again.

Steve Swartz

(and capitalization, as e.e. cummings so pointedly remarked, is sometimes overrated. especially when typing in a hurry and prone to typos. no offense intended, just typing really fast)
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Steve Swartz wrote:Sorry to offend you- Merry RamaHannaKwanzMas by the way- but the Fuzzy Dice analogy would not have included the "faith component" that many people place in their equipment.

Most people- me included- have a strong reluctance to question their decisions once made. If someone convinced you of the benefits of X, and you purchased X based (in part) on that "benefit," you will go to great lengths to defend X against all logic and reason.

I first noted this phenomenon among owners of Ford Pintos long after they had already been demonstrated to have a (frequently fatal) design flaw. In the face of all evidence tot he contgrary, that dang Pinto was the safest, most reliable car they had ever seen intheir whole lifetime.

So dashboard religious icon includes that factor; fuzzy dice does not.

Apologies again.

Steve Swartz

(and capitalization, as e.e. cummings so pointedly remarked, is sometimes overrated. especially when typing in a hurry and prone to typos. no offense intended, just typing really fast)

As for myself the the absorber ner really palyed into my purchasing decision directly. I didn't say " I going to buy this one becasue it has an absorber". I have shot both pistols the Morini is an excellent gun,.

My decision was based on the fact that the Steyr was more adjustable (grip wise) which fit my shooting style far better. I could of bought a Morini and got the gun to fit my shooting style my carving on the grip (if there was enough meat in the areas that needed to be carved, but why bother when the Steyr could easily be made to fit my shooting style. Secondly the Steyr has less felt reaction forces, be that because of the absorber or porting or what ever, this allows me to have a better follow through and keep my sights aligned, which in turn allows me to better analyze what I'm doing during the shot process.

Now comparing the Steyr to a Pinto and design flaws. The Steyr has a feature you don't like, I'd say that is far from a design flaw. The Morini people seem to need to put the competion down to justify their decision. I don't need to do that to justify mine, like I said before the decision came down to Morini and Steyr, Styer won out, but that said I would probably have been equally happy with a Morini. They are both fine pistols.
pgfaini

Post by pgfaini »

Steve, I agree completely with your logic regarding undeserved faith in a mechanical system. I'm just overly sensitized by the assault on the traditions our country was founded on, by "Secular Progressives" who want to turn all of our moral standards over to the government. More power to them, less for us. Have a happy Winter Season.

Paul