Feinwerkbau AW93 Slide

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Bill Freyfogle

Feinwerkbau AW93 Slide

Post by Bill Freyfogle »

I purchased my AW93 in early 2000, it is a very low 4-digit serial number gun, all silver with no safety and the slide does not stay open after the final shot. I have enjoyed this gun very much and have shot over 100K rounds through it but I do have a problem to report.

The gun has broken not one but TWO slides. The first one broke in 2004 and Don Nygord was able to get the gun fixed for free by the factory.

Then, in September 2011, I noticed the slide was cracked again and was about to break. I sent it to Pilkguns and they contacted the factory for a replacement. There was another major assembly that also required replacement. I just got the gun back after 8 months and the total cost was $775.

This is a wonderful gun but I am tired of replacing the slides. I do not shoot high velocity ammo, just CCI Standard Velocity (this groups in 1 inch at 50 yards and I have only 1 alibi per year!). I had an excellent gunsmith cut dovetails directly into the barrel back in 2000 and I use the Millet rings/bases to mount an Ultra Dot that I use in Bullseye for my very poor, aging eyes. I have shot 100-10x in an NRA Registered match with this fine gun.

Do the new blue slides crack too or on the nickle plated slides?

Thanks.....Bill
j-team

Post by j-team »

The nickel plating can be a problem because of hydrogen embrittlement. I thought they didn't plate the slides anymore because if that.

I know someone who broke 2 slides (both nickel plated). They were both replaced by FWB free of charge

See this for an explanation of hydrogen embrittlement:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_embrittlement
Leon

Post by Leon »

I was curious as to why they changed the finish of the slide. Now I know why.

What would happen if the slide was titanium-nitrided - like the Unique DES-96U had?
j-team

Post by j-team »

Leon wrote:What would happen if the slide was titanium-nitrided - like the Unique DES-96U had?
TiN coating is used extensively on cutting tools so I imagine it must be OK in that regard.

I've never heard of a cracked Unique slide (I have seen a few cracked DES32-U frames though).
J

Help please: which AW93 will be defective

Post by J »

Some of the other TT people had mentioned this thread line. Since I was going to sell some older "retired" but seemingly excellent AW93, help in defining which ones should be repaired first would help.

If anyone is willing to provide SNs (or SN minus the last digit if preferred) of the guns with defective slides, AND

precisely where in the slide the failure occurred, AND

other points of failure,

that would help me identify which need repair before sending them on to someone else. It's easy for me to have the parts replacements and repairs done first, rather than take them back, do the repairs, and then reship.
Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

I suppose another question (which I have always been interested in myself) is at what serial number did they change from the nickel plated to the blued slides?
If it helps, mine is 494X, has a blued slide and dates from early 2003.
Leon

Post by Leon »

I emailed the FWB factory last year and they were happy to supply a gun with a nickel plated slide as a special order.

To my mind, this indicates that nickel plating was not the cause of cracked slides as, if there was going to be the possibility of a warranty problem, surely they would not offer this option?
J

Pointers and problems

Post by J »

As to what the problem actually was: perhaps that remains an open question. At this point, more data that pinpoints how the problem manifested itself seems useful.

However, as to the slide and plating or not, if Feinwerkbau were an American company, continuing to offer a plated slide would say nothing about it being the source of the problem. In the USA, often the legal advice to companies is not to change anything unless forced to do so, because the change is an admission of error or wrongdoing.

For a German company, Leon may well be correct in his hypothesis.

I was curious about the change also. Although my memory is not the best, I thought I had at least one with a nickel plated slide with SN over 5000 awaiting US shipment, but I was not sure.

Out of curiosity as well as concern over what I may sell from our older stock, I'll ask Feinwerkbau what their thoughts might be on the slide failure problem.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

IIRC As long as a part is properly heat relieved after plating hydrogen embrittlement is not a problem.

The slide of the AW93 is very complex and full of nasty stress raisers, it may just be marginal on fatigue life and imperfect heat treatment (or no heat treatment) may tip it over the edge.

There's no real need for complex or exotic finishes on guns, unless you plan on storming a lot of beachheads, phosphate works very well.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Well put James...however I am sure that FWB nickel plating would be by the electroless nickel system that does not cause hydrogen embrittlement.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

I don't know about electroless nickel, various acids and other chemicals are used which aren't going to help any stress points.
IPshooter

Another broken slide

Post by IPshooter »

A NRA BE shooter friend of mine now has a broken slide on his FWB AW93 pistol. And, I understand that the slide has a serial number and, if it's imported, is treated just like a firearm. Lots of hassle there.

What alternatives does he have for getting this slide replaced? Is there someone in the USA who stocks replacement slides for this pistol?

TIA

Stan
J

Post by J »

The slide import situation is a bit different than stated. Under current laws, any gun part must be imported using USA import and outgoing foreign source export permits, and must go through a licensed exporter and importer. Presence or absence of the SN is not material to this. Replacement slides may not have a SN.

There are perhaps 4 retail dealers of this gun new in the USA, and a few who have used ones. Unfortunately, I don't have any spare slides to offer, and due to the timing of the request, can not include this in my latest shipment (my next shipment already is out the door in Germany and no more items can be added).