Mike Anti Wins SILVER in 3P

Post by Guest »

Lets hope the shotgun boys do something today
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Bill

Excessive shots???

Post by Bill »

One article I read stated that Mike fired too many shots in Kneeling, and was charged a 2-point penalty. Can anyone confirm? If this did happen, can anyone explain how, when the electronic systems are supposed to keep track of the (40) shots, in blocks? At least the Ascor systems used to do this.

At any rate, Congrats to Mike, a former jr. member of the ACORNS.

Bill
USAMU

Anti wins Olympic silver in three-position rifle shooting

Post by USAMU »

Anti wins Olympic silver in three-position rifle shooting

By Tim Hipps
USACFSC Public Affairs

ATHENS, Greece – Maj. Michael Anti, a marksman in the U.S. Army World Class Athlete Program, won a silver medal Aug. 22 in men’s 50-meter three-position rifle shooting in the 2004 Summer Olympic Games.
“I wish I had the gold but I’m just excited to have a medal,” said Anti, 40, of Winterville, N.C., assigned to the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit at Fort Benning, Ga. “We have such a great unit and such a great Army for them to allow me to do this. There are people overseas risking their life to allow me to compete here, so it’s a big deal.”
China’s Zhanbo Jia won the gold medal with 1,264.5 points. Anti took the silver medal with 1,263.1 points. Austria’s Christian Planer claimed the bronze medal with a 1,262.8 total.
Anti entered the final round in seventh place. After shooting marks of 10.4, 8.8, 9.3 and 10.6, he moved into fourth place with a 10.8 on his fifth of 10 shots in the finale. An 8.5 on his ensuing shot, however, cost him dearly. He quickly rebounded with marks of 10.4 and 10.8 to move into third place. Then an 8.1 dropped him back to fourth. He capped the performance with a 10.4 as drama intensified at the other end of the shooting line.
Matthew Emmons, 23, of Browns Mills, N.J., had the gold medal firmly in his grasp until he shot the wrong target on his last of 10 shots. The mark of zero dropped him to eighth place with 1,257.4 points, stunning the crowd at Markopoulo Olympic Shooting Centre.
Had Emmons closed with a respectable mark, Team USA would have won the gold and bronze medals.
“For me, it was kind of up and down,” Anti said of his final round. “I’d shoot a good 10 and then I’d shoot an 8. Then shoot a good 10 and shoot an 8. None of the shots were really bad shots, I just was late on the trigger,” he said. “If I caught it a millisecond before, it could’ve been a 10. I’m just thrilled to death that I won the silver with my final.”

Post by Guest »

If I were in Emmons shoes, I'd stay in Greece and become a goat-herd on an Aegean island.
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

"If I were in Emmons shoes, I'd stay in Greece and become a goat-herd on an Aegean island."

Yeah, I think I know the feeling!!!!

Although.... to the rest of us who have shot cross-fires..... and itsa safe bet almost all of us have....

The guy is STILL an Awesome 3P shooter.... the best in the world except for one mental hickup!

he'll receive a hero's welcome by all us shooters when he comes back!

I hope I can shoot that good when I grow up! (and I already shot a cross fire in a LEG match so hopefully i got that out of my system)

Poole
1450 training days till the Beijing Olympics
Jay V

Post by Jay V »

Anonymous wrote:If I were in Emmons shoes, I'd stay in Greece and become a goat-herd on an Aegean island.
I'm sure you would...

I don't think you could come close to filling his shoes.

He proved that he is the top 3P shooter in the world, even though he didn't take the gold.

How did you do in your last Olympic final?

Jay V
IL
USA

Post by Guest »

Ask Wigger or Writer or Foster or even Margaret if they've ever cross-fired when the chips were down. Like Mo' Green, you're not the best til you prove it consistantly.
Jay V

Post by Jay V »

Anonymous wrote:Ask Wigger or Writer or Foster or even Margaret if they've ever cross-fired when the chips were down. Like Mo' Green, you're not the best til you prove it consistantly.
I guess I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Since you didn't sign your name, I'm not sure if you are the same Anonymous that posted the first message.

Everyone has made some type of mistake during their career that cost them greatly I'm sure.

Matt won the Olympic gold in 50M prone, and is the current World Champion also, that's pretty consistent. I think he knows how to "prove it" "when the chip are down".

Jay V
IL
USA
Fabio

Emmons cross-fire

Post by Fabio »

I am writing here from Rio de Janeiro, Brasil.

Okay, Emmons must be very upset about his mistake. So what can we say about. Only who competes in such a high pressure matches, can tell us about this cross fired shot.

Emmons is very young and for sure he will shake de dust and goes for a brilliant shooting career. But this moment only becomes true when he will be capable to laugh at it. A lesson to be learned that surely will make him stronger.

A story to tell to his grand childrens in the future, as an example of fate, as an example that even a very hard work could result in a total failure and this is how things happen.

Olympics are made for glories and tears and we must remember that emmons had his gold in prone.

Fabio Coelho
Bronze medal in PAG2003 Sto Domingo, air rifle.
Sawyer

Matt Emmons

Post by Sawyer »

Let's accentuate the positive and give Matt his due-- by any and every measure, he should be called the best prone shooter in the world.
And knowing what a fierce competitor he is, we might as well start calling him The Avenger. I predict that if there was ever an athlete on a mission with something to prove, he's it. He's already said he's looking forward to Beijing.
Grzegorz

Post by Grzegorz »

For Matt Emmons that what happend is still surelly very difficult "to swallow". For us this is a story we can use coaching young shooters - like other stories, sometimes positive as that about 19-years old Olena Kostevych who catched final in AP at 8 position and got the gold! From both - one conclussion: Never, never give up!!!

What is strange to me in fact, is that in standing a difference in "zero aiming point" about 50 cm is usually easy to catch. How he must been stressed that did not recognize it before a shot!

He is great anyway!
Grzegorz
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

We've all done it at one time or another. The difference is that Matt Emmons is good enough to get to an Olympic Finals and the vast majority of us are not.
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

I've shot with Matt many times, and have had enough conversations with him to know that what sets him apart is his belief that he can control the outcome of his match, standings and place. I know that sounds anachronistic-- because we as shooters and coaches know that we can't control what others shoot. But he isn't concerned with that-- my impression is that he just feels that he can win if he tries hard enough.
He is absolutely confident in that. And the weird thing is, he makes it happen. Very few, if any other shooters seem to be able to do that.
Matt Emmons

Post by Matt Emmons »

Hi folks,

To the many of you who have come to my defense, thank you from the bottom of my heart. That really means a lot and shows me the great sportsmanship we have in our game of shooting. To those who posted some not-so-nice replies, heck if I care what you think.

You are all probably wondering what I'm thinking about the whole situation - well, some of the quotes you saw in interviews are pretty much it. It's the game we play. Stuff happens. I can only remember cross-firing maybe once in my entire career and that was a very long time ago when I was a young shooter.

The show of sportsmanship from all the other shooters at the Games and from myself after the 3p match was one of the finest things I have ever experienced. Simply amazing. Almost everyone came up to me and said how sorry they were and they know that even though I don't have the medal around my neck, I'm the best in the world. That's enough for me. It's not always about all the stuff you win - it's how you play the game. To be a champion in anything, you have to act like one. Win with grace, lose with grace.

I'm totally fine with the whole thing. I still have a gold medal from prone. I will live to shoot another day. It's not over and I'm not done. I don't really have anything to avenge, I'm just looking forward to getting the chance to compete again. If nothing else, it's a great story people will be talking about for years to come.

One more thing that was wonderful - I was so incredibly happy for Mike. He's worked so hard, is such a talented shooter, and truly one of the fiercest competitors there is. I was elated for him to win the silver.

Again, thanks to all of you who understand. Best regards,

Matt Emmons
HQMoody

Post by HQMoody »

Matt,

I am astounded! I can't believe what I have read on this board. Normally, I don't respond, but this time I must.

Matt I am veryproud of you and proud of your performance in Greece. I been following you since you left the Advanced Junior Shooting Camp, Front Royal, VA. You've worked very hard to get to get to the level of performance that you've attained. You deserve to be an Olympian.

During the Olympics you represented the United States, and all of the people who ever worked with you, with dignity and grace. Your are the best in the world! Not many of us can say that we are an Olympic Champion.

We are proud of all the US Team members. Medalists Mike Anti and Kim Rhode performed exceptionally well winning hardware for themselves and the country. We are proud of all who competed and gave their best.

HQ Moody
NRA National Coach Trainer
Sawyer

To Matt

Post by Sawyer »

Matt, if you're still using your Hotmail address, check it- I sent you an email.

Larry S.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Matt, it's not just US shooters who are proud of you. I, and several others, are damn proud to see any target shooter handle such disappointment in such a dignified and stoic manner, unlike the examples which have been set by other sports in the Games to date.
SteveT

Post by SteveT »

Dear Mr. Emmons

Before this week I respected your shooting ability, but knew nothing of you personally. When I saw the piece on TV, my heart went out to you. Now, I respect you as a man. You have indeed lost with grace. I hope that if (when) I reach the highest levels of competition that I will show as much poise.

Thank you for teaching us two lessons.

Sincerely,
Steve Turner
Raj

Congratulations and well done

Post by Raj »

Dear Matt,

My sincere congratulations to you on winning the gold medal for the 50m prone and for being the best there is on the 3-position. If I were to experience half the amount of stress you were facing at the Olympics, I would be very happy to get a 8.1 shooting on any target! Best wishes and good luck for the upcoming championships and for the 2008 Olympics.

Raj