FWB P40 Impressions

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

DaveS

FWB P40 Impressions

Post by DaveS »

I followed the link from Gummi's posting below to look at the new P40.
I was surprised to some departures from A&W's past designs. I see that the barrel porting that was introduced with the latter C20/25's has been eliminated. The other surprise was the compensator. They have adopted the vertical exhaust rather then the radial. I find that interesting. It was my understanding during the days of C02, that the company took the position that a vertical venting design such as Nygord's would indeed control muzzle jump, but only after the pellet had left the barrel. The gas/air escaping in only one direction could also tip the pellet as it left the compensator. The only way to reduce muzzle jump before the pellet left, was to port the barrel. As I understood, that was also the reasoning for their "Seperator" which vented the gas/air radially resulting in no effect on barrel movement, but did allow the propellent to escape before affecting the pellet's trajectory. I'm happy to see after all of these years that the issue of sight radius had been addressed. The frame itself looks very much the older P34 outside of the couterweight system. I'm left wondering what changes have been done in the trigger with the reference of the "high tensile steel" parts. I would hope that the new pistol has a shoe that you can actually tighten in position and adjustments stay put. Overall, my impression is that the company has taken some regressive steps for a reason. Any thoughts?
Len

Re: FWB P40 Impressions

Post by Len »

I was talking to a fellow at Cibles today and it seems what's old is what's new.
Weights are now "out in front and down" v. the previous coaxial to the barrel which was a departure from out and down prior to that.
I'm betting the springs are redone and don't come up as set or soft as some earlier triggers. I'm not sure that the pistol shooters have had this problem but my p70 and 603 had some mushy trigger springs that would change with the weather.
I have a small feeling that they have found that shrouding and weighting arouns the barrel is a "distraction" to the purpose of having a pure barrel only.
I also think they are relying heavier on the mechanical recoil reducer more than venting gas. At this point I would wonder if the vertical port is more to reduce blowby than actually reduce recoil.