What is the best free pistol spotting scope out there?

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Greg

What is the best free pistol spotting scope out there?

Post by Greg »

Looking for advice on a free pistol spotting scopes. What is your feeling on 20x long eye relief for the rear. How big does the front objective need to be? Where can I get the best price?
gregsueknutzen-at- msn.com.48152.0
Questor

Re: What is the best free pistol spotting scope out there?

Post by Questor »

Any decent spotting scope will spot .22 caliber holes at 50 yards. The high dollar scopes are for long-range applications. The Bushnell long eye relief 20-45x scope has been OK for me. It works well when you spot while wearing your shooting glasses. It will cost between $200 and $300.
Craig E.

take a look at the NG20x33 from Pilkington

Post by Craig E. »

: Any decent spotting scope will spot .22 caliber holes at 50 yards. The high dollar scopes are for long-range applications. The Bushnell long eye relief 20-45x scope has been OK for me. It works well when you spot while wearing your shooting glasses. It will cost between $200 and $300.
I have one of these little beauties....compact, clear, excellent for 10m AP and focus will go out beyond that for FP quite nicely. Won't break the bank either. FWIW
alance2002-at-yahoo.com.48168.48163
pdeal

Re: take a look at the NG20x33 from Pilkington

Post by pdeal »

I am no pistol shooter but isn't free pistol shot at 50m? If so I find it hard to believe that a scope with a 33mm objective would be suitable. We shoot a lot of outdoor and I have about 5 spotting scopes. My younger daughter is using a Kowa 50mm objective scope and it is just marginally suitable at that range. I would recommend a 60mm objective scope for that distance. Older B&L Balscope Sr's and Bushnell spacemasters in 20x are very high quality, common, and reasonably priced on ebay.
pdeal-at-mylanlabs.com.48183.48168
PETE

Shot FP & Use a NG20x33 from Pilkington

Post by PETE »

I shoot FP and use the NG20x33 and it works well. The NG20x33 is a good combination of price, size and optics.
From my knowledge of optics, the objective size relates to light gathering ability, not resolution, contrast, etc. The larger the objective is best suited to early morning or late evening concerns when light is marginal.
Also, a larger objective will tend to give a wider field of view, not important when all one wants to see is just the bullseye. For hunting and bird watching,I would want a wider field of view.

: I am no pistol shooter but isn't free pistol shot at 50m? If so I find it hard to believe that a scope with a 33mm objective would be suitable. We shoot a lot of outdoor and I have about 5 spotting scopes. My younger daughter is using a Kowa 50mm objective scope and it is just marginally suitable at that range. I would recommend a 60mm objective scope for that distance. Older B&L Balscope Sr's and Bushnell spacemasters in 20x are very high quality, common, and reasonably priced on ebay.

Len

Resolution

Post by Len »

Is really a factor of three things;
The Glass
The Magnification
The Objective Lens
A larger objective does typically gather more light which is certainly a function of being able to see detail.
You know how it works, you dial up the magnification, everything gets darker and you can't see anything or it looks a bit grainy.
20x shouldn't be too bad for 33mm objective, in fact it should be pretty good.

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

I'm no expert here, but will add a couple of comments.
I shoot FP, and currently use a Bushnell Sentry 15-45 x 50mm scope. It is not really adequate for the task. A friend uses an older Bushnell Sentry II 20x 40mm which is completely adequate. The objective on mine is larger, which "should" be better, but the glass quality is poor, resulting in fuzzy images. The older Bushnell glass is very good, so you can get away with a 40mm objective.
As for magnification, 20x is fine for FP, although some seem to prefer something around 25X for a bit better image resolution. Every time you increase magnification, you also increase the apparant "jitter" of the scope from movements of the shooting bench, tripod, etc. so using the lowest magnification which allows you to clearly see the bullet holes is what you should strive for.
I've also recently purchased a BSA Big Cat 20-60x 60mm scope - and it's entirely inadequate for the task. Even at 20x it's not clear enough to let you determine if there are one or two bullets in the same hole.
My personal recommendation in terms of value for performance is the Nikon Sky and Earth 60mm scope. You can get it either straight-through or 45degree eyepiece, and either fixed 20x or 15-45x. Optical quality is fantastic.
Yes, I tried to cheap-out by buying the BSA. It's going back to the vendor, and will be replaced by the Nikon. My test results of this glass are documented in an earlier discussion on this topic. Take my word for it, it's great glass. And you can get the straight scope with 20x eyepiece for $140US on e-bay (brand new from an authorized Nikon USA dealer).

Mark.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Consider the Bushnell Spacemaster Model #78-7350. Log into www.bushnell.com and select spotting scopes. You can't beat the price!
Good luck!

d_s_s_i-at-hotmail.com.48203.48152
Michael

Post by Michael »

Matt,
I have seen this scope in the store in which I work. I was not impressed with the quality and even had to send a new one back because it broke (apparently the mirror became dislodged). I wouldn't recommend this particular model. I've personally had good luck with the compact Kowas. My favorite (clearest) spotting scope is a Unertl, but it is heavy and they don't make them anymore.
: Consider the Bushnell Spacemaster Model #78-7350. Log into www.bushnell.com and select spotting scopes. You can't beat the price!
: Good luck!

ab

The best by far- Takahasshi FC60

Post by ab »

Kowa 60mm ed, Swarovski 65mmed, or Zeiss or Leica if money is not a problem. The nikon is the best buy at a fraction of the cost & the same quality of the Zeiss or Leica. Check out the price of the eyepeices of the different brand scope's if you decide on more then 20x or want a variable eyepeice