Old Hammerli free pistols

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Alex Ligeti in Melbourne,

Old Hammerli free pistols

Post by Alex Ligeti in Melbourne, »

I have an old Hammerli Free pistol - a model 106. I have had it for 20 - 25 years. I am a 530 score shooter. During this time, only 2 firing pins, and about 3 main springs have broken. I do my own repairs, and am very happy with the pistol.
I never dry-fire the gun when the main spring is under tension. Quite a large number of shooters, here, have these pistols. We find it a good gun, however the trigger setting is very critical. I am a touch shooter, and only use standard velocity ammo.
I look forward to reading other opinions.
lizlace-at-bigpond.com.48120.0
Jim

Re: Old Hammerli free pistols

Post by Jim »

Hi Alex,
As a "touch shooter", are you refering to the use of a light trigger pull, like 15-30 grams (1/2 to 1 oz.)? Also, can you elaborate on the "very critical" in regard to the trigger adjustments? Thanks for your insight and for sharing your experience.
Jim

james.buckland-at-converse.edu.48124.48120
Alex

Post by Alex »

To Jim,
Yes, touch shooting is a very light trigger, - maybe only 3 - 4 gramms. I set the trigger, so that it activates, when the gun is in vertical position, and the gun is "jagged". Sometimes called a "hair trigger". I have a soft finger, so I can feel when I am touching the trigger. It must not be So light that it activates while being set.
I never oil the trigger mechanism, but, when I service it, I blow off any lubricant with an air hose, so it does not collect dust. Oil can make the trigger stick.

lizlace-at-bigpond.com.48209.48124
Jim

Post by Jim »

Alex,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. While there is lots of info on newer guns, I think some of the older models are still quite competitive. A forum such as this one can hopefully promote their continued use.
Jim

james.buckland-at-converse.edu.48275.48209
Mark

Post by Mark »

I believe UT-Austin's Pistol Team coach shoots one. IIRC, the Toz-35 is based on them, so I'd think they could still be competitive. Don't know much about spare parts or anything though.
:
: I have an old Hammerli Free pistol - a model 106. I have had it for 20 - 25 years. I am a 530 score shooter. During this time, only 2 firing pins, and about 3 main springs have broken. I do my own repairs, and am very happy with the pistol.
: I never dry-fire the gun when the main spring is under tension. Quite a large number of shooters, here, have these pistols. We find it a good gun, however the trigger setting is very critical. I am a touch shooter, and only use standard velocity ammo.
: I look forward to reading other opinions.