Where to get a "bloop" tube

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

David

Where to get a "bloop" tube

Post by David »

I am curious about getting an extension tube for my smallbore rifle. First, does anyone know what the effects a tube can have on the grouping? Second, does it need to be torqued a certain amount?
Now, assuming the grouping will work out, where do I get one made for a Lilja .900 inch .22cal barrel? I know that Medesha makes them, but I am having trouble contacting him. Any other suggestions? Will Neal Johnson do it?
Thanks,
David
DEAmiot-at-aol.com.47566.0
TomW

Re: Where to get a "bloop" tube

Post by TomW »

Contact Anschutz or your Anschutz dealer and order one of theirs. They come in two lengths and will fit the Lilja barrel.
Tom

: I am curious about getting an extension tube for my smallbore rifle. First, does anyone know what the effects a tube can have on the grouping? Second, does it need to be torqued a certain amount?
: Now, assuming the grouping will work out, where do I get one made for a Lilja .900 inch .22cal barrel? I know that Medesha makes them, but I am having trouble contacting him. Any other suggestions? Will Neal Johnson do it?
: Thanks,
: David

twoodle1-at-bigpond.net.au.47582.47566
Bob

Re: Where to get a

Post by Bob »

David, I got mine from Medesha and he will mill the collar to fit your barrel, if it's not one of his standard sizes.. This time of year with all the shows he is hard to contact, but keep trying by phone and eMail.
A few of us here have done some expermenting with 'Bloop' tubes and there seems to be some benefit. At 100M we did notice the bullet POI with the tube was about 1Min different from without and the groups measured smaller, not by a lot, but a definite positive difference. The recoil was perceived as being slightly different with less movement, not sure if this was actual due to the weight difference/balance or psychological. Was it the conditions that day... not sure, but we could tell the difference and on that given day it was a positve improvement.
: I am curious about getting an extension tube for my smallbore rifle. First, does anyone know what the effects a tube can have on the grouping? Second, does it need to be torqued a certain amount?
: Now, assuming the grouping will work out, where do I get one made for a Lilja .900 inch .22cal barrel? I know that Medesha makes them, but I am having trouble contacting him. Any other suggestions? Will Neal Johnson do it?

Ed Knutson

Post by Ed Knutson »

Before you buy an Anschutz factory bloop tube, it would be a good idea for you to e-mail me for some details, none of them will fit a .900" diameter barrel.
Please feel free to e-mail you directly and I can fill you in on some of the other details of the application of sight extension tubes.
It would take up quite a bit of space here on this discussion forum to cover it, and I am not sure most folks are interested in the subject.
Kindest regards,
Ed Knutson
the2lts-at-earthlink.net.47601.47566
TomW

Post by TomW »

Hang on a second! I own an Anschutz 2013 with short barrel and tube. The barrel is .90inch diameter and the bloop tube fits it perfectly. I have a Lilja Drop in barrel on order for this rifle action, so it is to all intents and purposes the same as my factory Anschutz factory barrel, same dia etc. So why won't an Anschutz bloop tube fit it?

: Before you buy an Anschutz factory bloop tube, it would be a good idea for you to e-mail me for some details, none of them will fit a .900" diameter barrel.
: Please feel free to e-mail you directly and I can fill you in on some of the other details of the application of sight extension tubes.
: It would take up quite a bit of space here on this discussion forum to cover it, and I am not sure most folks are interested in the subject.
: Kindest regards,
: Ed Knutson

twoodle1-at-bigpond.net.au.47610.47601
Ed Knutson

Post by Ed Knutson »

Tom:
I am very surprised if you have a 50cm Anschutz factory barrel that has a muzzle that measures .900". Some of the barrels might measure that behind the area where the sight extension tube clamps on, but the nominal dimension of the clamping area is .940". The Anschutz factory sight extension tubes for the 50cm barrels nominally measure about .943" I.D. and are not designed to properly fit and clamp on a diameter smaller than .940". I have examples on hand of 50cm barrels that measure .883 behind the clamping area and others that are actually cylindrical and measure .940 throughout their length, but none of them measure less than .940" at the muzzle clamping area. You may be surprised if you remove your sight extension tube and measure the I.D. of the clamping end and compare that dimension with that of the surface of the barrel where it clamps. I would be curious to know what you determine if you have not already done this.
Kindest regards,
Ed K.
the2lts-at-earthlink.net.47633.47610
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

You could try Croytec at john@croytec.co.uk they make tubes to suit most rifles and what ever length you require.

trevor.budgen1-at-btinternet.com.47668.47566
R Harbison

Post by R Harbison »

Dave,
NJ does offer several; probably worth giving him a call too. He also offers one with a tuner. Regarding your question about grouping, I did a test once with my 1813 out of a fixed rest. Shot 10 consecutive 10 shot groups without the tube with various brands and lots. Cleaned the gun and repeated with a tube on, duplicating the ammmo brand and lot in sequence. Accross the board, all of the groups with the tube on were about 1-2 mm tighter. My going in purpose was to prove to my coach (some guy named Krilling) that the tube WOULD NOT make a difference. I had crow for dinner that night. Clamp the screws hand tight, but don't strip the metal. I'm sure there is a sweet spot in torque if you have the patience to test for it.
Regards,
Rob : I am curious about getting an extension tube for my smallbore rifle. First, does anyone know what the effects a tube can have on the grouping? Second, does it need to be torqued a certain amount?

robert.harbison-at-us.army.mil.47719.47566
David

Post by David »

Thanks to all who responded. I have received a huge amount of info via email and on this board.
A side note, I go down to AMU over spring break to train with Krilling, so I'll ask him about that test, see if he has any fond memories of R. Harbison, a fellow lefty I believe...
DEAmiot-at-aol.com.47746.47719