Detail Procedure: Changing Morini 162EI Batteries

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Bob LeDoux

Detail Procedure: Changing Morini 162EI Batteries

Post by Bob LeDoux »

Changing batteries in the Moroni 162EI can be a bit tricky. Here is a procedure that works for me.
Begin by removing the screw that holds the plate on the bottom of the grip. It may be necessary to use a small screwdriver to gently break the cover plate free of the grip.
To replace the batteries you have to pull out the circuit board from inside the grip. The circuit board is held in place by spring action of an edge connector on the bottom of the pistol frame. Don't use a screwdriver to try to pry the board out. Doing so may damage the board. Rock the board gently to see if it comes clear.
If the board is hard to remove, remove the grip. Remove two screws out of the rear of the grip. Then gently rock the grip a bit forward and back as you separate the grip from the gun. The circuit board will fall free out of the grip bottom, so be prepared for this.
Be careful in removing the batteries. The circuit board is narrow and excess force could crack it. I found it easiest to roll the batteries out of their holders with my fingers. Another technique is to take a quarter inch flat blade screwdriver. Put a bit of light cloth, like a handkerchief, over the blade. Then gently twist the screwdriver between one end of the battery and the board to snap that end out of the clips. Then pull the battery clear. Repeat with the second battery.
Be careful to put the new batteries in facing the right direction. I don't know if the board has internal protection for reversed polarity--and I don't want to find out. The "+" end of the battery is marked with a sticker below each battery. On my unit, the top battery had the "+" facing left, and the bottom had it facing right.
Battery change completed, slip the board back into the grip. Slip the grip back over the gun. While doing so, keep your thumb over the bottom of the board to ensure the board engages the spring clip connector on the receiver. Press the board all the way into the connector, so it sticks in place.
Carefully hold the grip and receiver together and insert the grip-holding screws. The short screw goes in the top hole. Tighten the grip screws.
Press against the board, gently, to ensure it is properly seated. Place the cover plate in place and screw in the cover screw. Viola, you are finished.
The two hex head allen wrenches required for this procedure are included in the pistol tool kit .

Francesco

Re: Detail Procedure: Changing Morini 162EI Batteries

Post by Francesco »

All is OK. When you change the batteries or you reinsert the board into the grip you have to take care not to Short-circuit the board by letting the battery holder touch together.The board has internal protection for reversed polarity.
morini-at-bluewin.ch.47341.47335
Bob LeDoux

Post by Bob LeDoux »

Thanks for your comments.
One correction. The big screw goes in the top of the grip, not the bottom.
I decided to remove the grip because the electrical contacts hold the circuit board securely to the frame. Removing the grip eliminates the possibility of damaging the board while trying to pry it out of its opening.
Francesco, I am curious about the workings of the board.
One chip appears to be a DC to DC convertor that increases the voltage from 3 volts to 15 volts. The 470 microfarad capacitor appears to be part of the selenoid firing circuit.
But here is also a crystal oscillator of some sort in the circuitry. Is this part of the DC step up circuit are do you have a microprocessor on the board?
The jumpers suggest the board can be "programmed" to perform a number of functions.
I am surprized at the complexity of the board. It appears to have much more sophistication than I expected. It does more than just recognize that the trigger has been pulled.

Francesco

Post by Francesco »

You are right. The circuit can make much more.The board works with a DC-DC converter and converts 3V to 20V. Evrytime you switch on it make a test on the whole circuit including the trigger. You can try pulling the trigger and switch the board on, it will flash indicating there is an error that in the case is on the trigger you pull because the normal condition for the board is to find a normal-close condition for the switch. The jumpers are for several function I don't want to explain to much because I don't want shooters playing with the board. The condensator is to give power to the solenoid. You have to know that we started working with electronic triggers on 1982 and till now we produced more than 16000 board (15V + 1.5V) and because we are the only one having one electronic trigger working, every impruvement on the board means to make concurrency to ourselves. We are going to change a lot in the future pistols without having to modificate to much the board.
morini-at-bluewin.ch.47371.47344
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

: I don't want to explain to much because I don't want shooters playing with the board.
I don't think you should have said that Francesco. It is like telling small children not to touch something because it is hot. You know they are going to.
The 162EI is a fantastic product, Congratulations.
dalevene-at-blueyonder.co.uk.47373.47371
Stan Pace

Post by Stan Pace »

: We are going to change a lot in the future pistols without having to modificate to much the board.
Francesco,
Happy New Year to you and yours!
Are you able to elaborate on the statement above?
What kind of changes? Is there any news on a 5-shot AP?
Stan

Bob LeDoux

Post by Bob LeDoux »

I think he means the board design is flexible. This means future changes in gun design won't require changing the board. The design should cover guns that aren't even yet on the drawing board.
I never realized they have produced 16,000 boards. That's a big number considering their reputation for reliability, and dependability under adverse conditions.
Paul T (UK)

Post by Paul T (UK) »

I think the 162EI and Morini free triggers are excellent. I have an additional 162EI long for ISSF centre fire training (as we can not shoot these in the UK!). I swapped the barrel for the short version to provide the correct sight radius, added Morini counter weights and installed the correct springs for the trigger weight. This has enabled me to adequately train the heavier trigger as the 5-shot pistol triggers are grim at best, especially if a 1360g module is installed.
Maybe best to not share all the inner workings of the trigger setup, I am sure some untrained people may be tempted to play with what is working perfectly or to tinker believing they can improve things. Good to know a large stock of electronics exists for now and in the future, I know Walther had supply issues over a decade ago although it would be unfair to compare the two!
A wish list has to be a 5-shot Morini air pistol and electronic triggers for the Morini standard/centre fire pistols?
Many thanks to Francesco for the re-spring advice and an excellent product – have a great 2004!