Toz 35M vs. Hammerli 162?

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Mark

Toz 35M vs. Hammerli 162?

Post by Mark »

Well, I've narrowed it down to these two. I've tried both out and like them both. Does anyone know of anything that should sway me one way or the other?
On one hand, I like the Toz because it's cheaper and feels slightly better balanced to me, but on the other hand, I like the longer sight radius of the Hammerli, but I'm not sure if I like it $350 better.
Does anyone know what parts availability/price is like for both of these?
Jim

Re: Toz 35M vs. Hammerli 162?

Post by Jim »

They're both fine pistols, and there really is no bad choice. The parts situation is definitely in favor of the Hammerli. Larry Carter in Maine keeps them in stock, as well as parts for older Hammerlis. You will likely be well off for years to come. The electronics on the 162 (and 152) are very reliable. Don't get solvent in the circuitry,
though. Below freezing temperatures may require warming up the battery in your pocket for a few minutes. (I haven't tested the newer titanium batteries.) The Hammerli is also easier to disassemble. The tight tolerances make part replacement a breeze. The TOZ on the other hand, can be much more of a pain. Parts supply can be erratic, although Don Nygord keeps a good stock. Parts often require fitting. Even replacement grips (ie Morini)usually need inletting and modification to the grip screw holes. I've always suspected that the international popularity of the TOZ has a lot to do with the low price (equivalent to $500). In the US, the TOZ price has always been about twice the world average because of the old 100% tariff on goods from the USSR. I don't know why the price hasn't dropped accordingly since the old hammer and sicle days. If you go with the TOZ, invest some of the money you save and buy some parts, like mainsprings, firing pin, odd leaf springs, etc. I hope this helps in some way.
Happy New Year,
Jim

james.buckland-at-converse.edu.47195.47193
Mako

Post by Mako »

I've never had a problem getting Toz parts from Don Nygord ... and my Toz has been very reliable.
Why buck the fact that you rarely see Hammerli's at big matches anymore ... while Toz's have only recently started to be replaced by the Morini 84E.
An article in the ISSF magazine earlier this year "proved" that the Toz is the most forgiving Free Pistol to shoot ... because of it's trigger release "drivetrain" of small parts that impart the least amount of movement to the pistol.
Any free pistol grip requires careful personal fitting. Many shooters find the stock Toz grip to be rather clunky ... but it does feature a unique thumb "holder." If you get the Morini grip ... get the split wrap around grip that allows one to adjust it's size ... when one's hand swells up in warm conditions. I believe Nygord sells a variety of grips for the Toz ... including a interesting new RINK grip ...
makofoto-at-earthlink.net.47196.47195
Igor Rulyov

Post by Igor Rulyov »

Just see photos from World Cups, World Championship and Olympic Games or visit such competitions - and You'll see something like this:
- TOZ-35 = approx 48%
- Morini CM84E = approx 48%
- OTHER = approx 4%
... and know think yourself :)
webmaster-at-de-kar.ru.47201.47193