front sight inserts for 10m rifle what size

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

kimie

front sight inserts for 10m rifle what size

Post by kimie »

Can anyone tell me the best front size insert to use for 10 meter rifle and what size is the target happy holidays
kimiej-at-iland.net.47168.0
Gary

it depends

Post by Gary »

I shoot regulation 10m AR targets with a 30.5mm black bull.
I was told to "select the insert size based on your hold." The target should spend most if not all the time INSIDE the aperture. IOW with a wobbly hold you need to use a larger aperture than if you had a steady hold.
So, the aperture size depends on how steady your hold is.
I also read that lighting conditions at the range could affect the aperture size used.
Gary
TJ

Re: it depends

Post by TJ »

Get an adjustable front sight aperture and you will have all conditions covered. I got one off ebay for about $68. Adjusts from 2.5 to 5.0. I also have an adjustable rear aperture and I honestly dont know how anyone can be a serious shooter without adjustable apertures. You dont need them to shoot well, but they are impossible to get rid of after using them.
: I shoot regulation 10m AR targets with a 30.5mm black bull.
: I was told to "select the insert size based on your hold." The target should spend most if not all the time INSIDE the aperture. IOW with a wobbly hold you need to use a larger aperture than if you had a steady hold.
: So, the aperture size depends on how steady your hold is.
: I also read that lighting conditions at the range could affect the aperture size used.
: Gary

shootingsport-at-ev1.net.47178.47173
Mac

Re: it depends

Post by Mac »

The problem with adjustable front sight apertures is that the ring is very thick - which suits some people but not others. There are excellent alternatives available which allow for thicker rings.
: Get an adjustable front sight aperture and you will have all conditions covered. I got one off ebay for about $68. Adjusts from 2.5 to 5.0. I also have an adjustable rear aperture and I honestly dont know how anyone can be a serious shooter without adjustable apertures. You dont need them to shoot well, but they are impossible to get rid of after using them.
: : I shoot regulation 10m AR targets with a 30.5mm black bull.
: : I was told to "select the insert size based on your hold." The target should spend most if not all the time INSIDE the aperture. IOW with a wobbly hold you need to use a larger aperture than if you had a steady hold.
: : So, the aperture size depends on how steady your hold is.
: : I also read that lighting conditions at the range could affect the aperture size used.
: : Gary

JP O'Connor

Re: front sight inserts for 10m rifle what size

Post by JP O'Connor »

: Can anyone tell me the best front size insert to use for 10 meter rifle and what size is the target happy holidays
---
Hi Kimie,
There is no one best front aperture size. More on this in a moment.
Also, different athletes prefer wide or narrow rings as mentioned in earlier responses to your post. Soviet research showed that thin aperture rings (not wide as in a variable) were best for optimal performance. Still, the wide rings do appeal to some, and the variable apertures are useful in research and in some training exercises.
Many shooters use apertures that are too small... thinking that visual precision is of utmost importance. The psychological factors are far more important... and far more damaging to performance if the aperture is too small as it is in far too many cases.
The advice about having the aperture large enough to allow the bull to stay inside the aperture is on the right track for those with a large hold. For advanced shooters with tight holds, additional factors come into play.
Also, slight adjustments are sometimes called for due to varying light conditions.
Dan Durben and I are in the process of doing some research in the area of front aperture size and its effect on the shot delivery process and are finding very interesting and powerful effects.
If you will email me with the distance from your eyeball to the location of the front aperture within your front sight tube, and tell me what target and distance (I'm assuming ISSF air rifle at 10 meters.), I'll be able to give you a starting size along with information about adjusting from there. If you will also tell me how long you've been shooting and approximate score range in air rifle, that will help me give you useful information. Be sure to have someone measure from the side... don't actually touch your eyeball!
"Feel Center!"
-JP

jpoc-at-acm.org.47194.47168
Perry W. McFarland

Re: front sight inserts for 10m rifle what size

Post by Perry W. McFarland »

kimie:
I assume that you have no eye problems and that you are using an air rifle that conforms to ISSF rules pertaining to the length of the "system", and that you are shooting offhand at 10 Meters on the official ISSF target.
For background, I am not a "world-class" shooter by any stretch of the imagination. I shoot in the low to middle 90's offhand on the ISSF target at 10 Meters and use a 3.8mm front aperture. I am told by various talking heads that it is too small and that I should move up to a 4.0mm or larger.
Depending on your level of experience; quality of your hold, etc., I would recommend that you try 4.0; 4.2 and 4.4mm.
Give yourself time (at least 100 record shots in competition with each aperture size) to evaluate before making a decision. If you decide that the 4.4 is too small, you can continue to experiment with larger front apertures.
Regards.
Perry
PerryMcF-at-aol.com.47242.47168