Compact LP400 with standard cylinder??

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
ALFREDPNY

Compact LP400 with standard cylinder??

Post by ALFREDPNY »

Hi All,

I recently purchased a used Walther LP400 Carbon Compact version, and it came with a standard cylinder. So, the cylinder is longer than the muzzle when attached. I understand LP400 is an older version, but the cylinder is valid until 2030.

My question is:
1. Would the longer cylinder affect the accuracy of the gun? Would it cause any unbalance to the muzzle?
2. If I join any competition, would the longer cylinder violate any rules?

This might be some stupid questions, but I am new in the 10m precision shooting, any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks.
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Re: Compact LP400 with standard cylinder??

Post by atomicgale »

1. Affect Accuracy? Probably not. Slight difference in weight/mass, inconsequential. On the converse, I'll attached a compact cylinder to a full-length Steyr EVO & then add a couple of the 5-gram "ballasts" close to the action. Again, inconsequential.

2. Rules? If it fits in "The Box," you're good. However, it would make a nice bayonet lug.
David M

Post by David M »

The LP400 is one model series back, with the LP500 the current model. Air tanks from the LP400 and 500 are the same and are interchangable.
The longer tank will give you more shots and be a bit heavier (CofG further forward).
It is legal to use either tank on your pistol and will not effect accuracy sticking forward.
ALFREDPNY

Post by ALFREDPNY »

atomicgale wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:41 am 1. Affect Accuracy? Probably not. Slight difference in weight/mass, inconsequential. On the converse, I'll attached a compact cylinder to a full-length Steyr EVO & then add a couple of the 5-gram "ballasts" close to the action. Again, inconsequential.

2. Rules? If it fits in "The Box," you're good. However, it would make a nice bayonet lug.
thanks.
ALFREDPNY

Post by ALFREDPNY »

David M wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:44 pm The LP400 is one model series back, with the LP500 the current model. Air tanks from the LP400 and 500 are the same and are interchangable.
The longer tank will give you more shots and be a bit heavier (CofG further forward).
It is legal to use either tank on your pistol and will not effect accuracy sticking forward.
Thanks. Yes, the longer cylinder does give more shots. Compared to the Morini 162EI provided by the range, somehow I found my LP400 compact bit nose heavy. (maybe just my own feeling).