Mg2e not firing

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
njure

Mg2e not firing

Post by njure »

Hello, I'm new to the forum and pretty new to shooting in general. I just got a matchguns MG2E (2021 model) as my first pistol for precision shooting.

I'm having some issues with it that neither I or the shooting instructor at my club who has an Mg2 (not electronic) can seem to figure out. It just will be very inconsequent when it comes to whether it wants to shoot or not.

Today we got it to work for several series in a row somehow, it was amazing! What made it work was to fibble around with the back screw for dead travel adjustment (2) until it was at a point where it would make the fire. A little too much, no fire. Not enough, then it will click a few times and then fire, very inconsistent and finicky..

Like I said, I found some sweet spot where it would fire, but then when I wanted to adjust the trigger stop screw (6 in the manual, the big one in front of the trigger) - all went wrong and I have tried for 3 hours now to get it to trigger consistently again... I noticed that when I screw the trigger stop screw, sometimes it will make the green light turn brighter, but if I touch it ever so slightly the light goes more dull again. Weird.

Before, it would always click, even if no fire. Now it won't even click. When I pull the trigger, the light just turns off, no click. No matter how I adjust the screws that previously did the trick. Sometimes when I am playing around with the screws, it suddenly starts working again and I can get it to semi consistently fire. Then I excitedly put the handle back on and by the time it's on, no more clicks, no more fire. Sigh.

Sorry I have not much of an idea of what I'm talking about here. Any ideas on what could be wrong, where I should look first? I couldn't find any other threads on this type of issue on this forum, hope it's OK. There was one other with a similar issue but it was about low battery, and I have tried a brand new battery with no difference at all.

I'm not sure what to do.

Cheers
kqrxbn

Re: Mg2e not firing

Post by kqrxbn »

During a period a while ago, mine exhibited related symptoms. I suspect there was some dirt somewhere in the trigger mechanism. It happened after I had shot quite a lot of Norma Tac-22, which while working great over at the target left lots and lots of crud in the pistol. Some of this, I speculate, will have fallen down into the trigger mechanism. One thing I did was to unscrew the trigger stop screw quite a bit to allow for generous travel, and then I yanked the trigger a few times. If that was actually what helped I'm not sure, but the "stickiness" disappeared.

Now, your symptoms are a bit different. Mine would always click as the light went off, but after that it would sometimes "stick" in the off/triggered position.

Disassembling this pistol is a bit of a project so if you do, please record the process and post it somewhere. Haven't found a recording of a full disassembly anywhere.
njure

Post by njure »

kqrxbn wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:35 am During a period a while ago, mine exhibited related symptoms. I suspect there was some dirt somewhere in the trigger mechanism. It happened after I had shot quite a lot of Norma Tac-22, which while working great over at the target left lots and lots of crud in the pistol. Some of this, I speculate, will have fallen down into the trigger mechanism. One thing I did was to unscrew the trigger stop screw quite a bit to allow for generous travel, and then I yanked the trigger a few times. If that was actually what helped I'm not sure, but the "stickiness" disappeared.

Now, your symptoms are a bit different. Mine would always click as the light went off, but after that it would sometimes "stick" in the off/triggered position.

Disassembling this pistol is a bit of a project so if you do, please record the process and post it somewhere. Haven't found a recording of a full disassembly anywhere.
Funny enough that's exactly the ammunition I was using! I wasn't planning on using that but since that's the only one they sell at the club I settled for that. I'm gonna see if I can find some of this crud that you were describing. I think I know what you mean though.

I have been playing around with it and realised that if I unscrew the trigger stop screw completely and only leave it slightly in (so slightly that it wobbles), then suddenly the green light shines significantly brighter and the pistol clicks again! If I wobble it around, it will even click on its own like crazy, just based on how I wobble the stop screw. Isn't that super weird? How is the trigger stop screw affecting the electrical trigger? I'm wondering if there's some kind of cable or something internally that it's connecting to or I have no idea what's going on..!

I wrote an email to matchguns to ask about this, will see if I can get a reply.

Edit* I somehow got it to work! I have honestly no idea exactly what I did that ended up working, but suddenly the light is shining bright green again no matter the trigger stop screw position!

Things I played around with since my last check-in:
I screwed the disconnector engagement screw out a bit.
I screwed the dead travel force and release force screws clockwise a few rotations (even though they were right before, for some reason the trigger would go off at the slightest touch no matter how much I tighten these.)

Suddenly, the green light started shining brighter again and suddenly the trigger had a bit of resistance to it again. I'm not sure which of my actions made it all come together or maybe it was just luck. If you have an idea, let me know for future reference. I can now screw and unscrew the dead stop screw without the green light going dull, which is great!

Edit 2* Matchguns' support just responded by saying I should reach out to the local reseller here in Sweden instead of them directly
Last edited by njure on Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
kqrxbn

Post by kqrxbn »

I hope it continues working as it should! I have not disassembled mine fully yet (it's also pretty new). I'd like to find someone with some mechanical confidence and go about it, so I know how to do it. I'd be particularly interested in seeing how the trigger and related components look, and how they can be flushed out.

Hope you'll get a reply from MG and share it here. Will be interesting to hear what they say.

Not sure how cold you've had it, by the way, but that's been a problem for me this winter: the 23A batteries I've bought do not like the cold. Works fine for a bit but then, after the pistol has cooled down and acts like a heatsink, even new batteries lose their oomph. I've had to alternate between pocket and pistol. Will need to try another brand next year.
njure

Post by njure »

kqrxbn wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:47 pm I hope it continues working as it should! I have not disassembled mine fully yet (it's also pretty new). I'd like to find someone with some mechanical confidence and go about it, so I know how to do it. I'd be particularly interested in seeing how the trigger and related components look, and how they can be flushed out.

Hope you'll get a reply from MG and share it here. Will be interesting to hear what they say.

Not sure how cold you've had it, by the way, but that's been a problem for me this winter: the 23A batteries I've bought do not like the cold. Works fine for a bit but then, after the pistol has cooled down and acts like a heatsink, even new batteries lose their oomph. I've had to alternate between pocket and pistol. Will need to try another brand next year.
MG only replied with one sentence - the name of my local supplier :D Fair enough, I have emailed them instead.

Unfortunately, it only worked for a few series until it stopped working again. Well, I can get it to click if I put the trigger stop screw and trigger dead travel screws in the right position (takes some experimenting, but when I adjust these screws the green light goes more or less bright and it's always different - so strange).

But now it is permanently locked into a state of a featherlight trigger - no matter how much I adjust the trigger force screw, the trigger is set off by even the slightest touch. I had the shooting instructor look at it as he's been shooting for 40 years and has an MG2 himself (not electrical though), and we spent a good two hours looking at it to no avail.

I think I'm at the end of the rope on this particular unit and admit defeat - might have just gotten an unlucky unit. I'll send it in to the local supplier and see what they say. Sad though as it's my first and only pistol so I'm not sure what I'll do in the meanwhile. I wish I could just buy another at this point and return this one, but the license application is lengthy and my license was specific to this pistol :(

That said, if it were working fine, I wouldn't want to change it. I haven't tried any other pistols, but from everyone I speak to about the MG2 or MG2E, the pistol still has the best trigger (ironic in my case, I suppose) and it's in my opinion also the best looking. Also.. I have already ordered a custom Rink grip for it like 2 months ago that will soon arrive... so I really hope they'll either fix it properly or get a replacement unit.
kqrxbn

Post by kqrxbn »

Do you have far to your local reseller? It sounds like you're very much in my situation (quite possibly in the same country, but I may infer too much from your username): in this cold and far-away land there is only one and for me it's more or less a 4-hour trip, one way. I had a minor problem with mine and managed to get help from them over FaceTime.

I do hope that they can rectify the problem, whatever it is. My take on the MG2E is that it is a fantastic pistol when it's in a good mood but there are many times when you scratch your head. It's not impossible to learn how it works, but because it's so different from all other pistols out there, it's a bit harder to find some oldie who've seen it all.
njure

Post by njure »

kqrxbn wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:35 am Do you have far to your local reseller? It sounds like you're very much in my situation (quite possibly in the same country, but I may infer too much from your username): in this cold and far-away land there is only one and for me it's more or less a 4-hour trip, one way. I had a minor problem with mine and managed to get help from them over FaceTime.

I do hope that they can rectify the problem, whatever it is. My take on the MG2E is that it is a fantastic pistol when it's in a good mood but there are many times when you scratch your head. It's not impossible to learn how it works, but because it's so different from all other pistols out there, it's a bit harder to find some oldie who've seen it all.
Then we're more than likely even in the same city based on the information you just gave.

The local supplier is indeed not close enough to casually visit. They said they will send postal labels so I can send it in to them to have a look at first.

I struggle to see what they could guide me through at a distance at this stage.

I believe the mistake I made when ordering was that they had a new one and one someone had just shot once and then returned for an issue that their smith had fixed. They told me it might be better to get that one since they had confirmed that it works. Silly enough I believed that and said OK, sure.

In hindsight that was a bad call..
kqrxbn

Post by kqrxbn »

It sounds like you ordered it online at least, which makes postage their issue. I was so impatient that I drove and picked up mine in the store so if I ever need to send it back I'd have to pay for that myself.

Either way, let's hope that the turnaround is quick. Better have it sent in now than when the season kicks off in April! If you feel like it, I'd ask if they would be willing to take a couple of photos when they open it up. The process to disassemble it far enough to reach the trigger area is not well-documented ans it could be useful to know how that is done. I sure would like a YouTube tutorial on that!
thor348

Post by thor348 »

njure wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:58 pm Hello, I'm new to the forum and pretty new to shooting in general. I just got a matchguns MG2E (2021 model) as my first pistol for precision shooting.

I'm having some issues with it that neither I or the shooting instructor at my club who has an Mg2 (not electronic) can seem to figure out. It just will be very inconsequent when it comes to whether it wants to shoot or not.

Today we got it to work for several series in a row somehow, it was amazing! What made it work was to fibble around with the back screw for dead travel adjustment (2) until it was at a point where it would make the fire. A little too much, no fire. Not enough, then it will click a few times and then fire, very inconsistent and finicky..

Like I said, I found some sweet spot where it would fire, but then when I wanted to adjust the trigger stop screw (6 in the manual, the big one in front of the trigger) - all went wrong and I have tried for 3 hours now to get it to trigger consistently again... I noticed that when I screw the trigger stop screw, sometimes it will make the green light turn brighter, but if I touch it ever so slightly the light goes more dull again. Weird.

Before, it would always click, even if no fire. Now it won't even click. When I pull the trigger, the light just turns off, no click. No matter how I adjust the screws that previously did the trick. Sometimes when I am playing around with the screws, it suddenly starts working again and I can get it to semi consistently fire. Then I excitedly put the handle back on and by the time it's on, no more clicks, no more fire. Sigh.

Sorry I have not much of an idea of what I'm talking about here. Any ideas on what could be wrong, where I should look first? I couldn't find any other threads on this type of issue on this forum, hope it's OK. There was one other with a similar issue but it was about low battery, and I have tried a brand new battery with no difference at all.

I'm not sure what to do.

Cheers

From your description, it seems that the problem is related to the trigger mechanism, specifically the dead travel adjustment screw and the trigger stop screw. It's possible that these screws are very sensitive and require precise adjustments to function properly.

Here are some steps you can try:

i. Start by resetting both screws to their original positions, if possible.
ii. Then, focus on adjusting the dead travel screw (2) to find that "sweet spot" where the gun fires consistently.
iii. Once you've found that spot, make very small adjustments to the trigger stop screw (6) until you get the desired trigger pull.
iv. If you're still having trouble, it might be worth contacting matchguns directly for advice or to see if they can diagnose the problem.

Remember, precision firearms like the MG2E can be finicky and require careful adjustments. It's important to make small changes and test after each adjustment.
kqrxbn

Post by kqrxbn »

Did you manage to get the problem resolved?