The new Margolin thread

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

marky123

The new Margolin thread

Post by marky123 »

Evening
My new Margolin is in the safe.
Alas,the front and rear sight is not a marriage made in heaven as the front fills the notch in the rear,there's hardly any light.
I bought it with the intention of shooting ISSF rapid fire,would the wider audience
a- narrow the front or
B- widen the rear?
Regards
MARK
JamesH

Re: The new Margolin thread

Post by JamesH »

Widen the rear
stephen_maly

Post by stephen_maly »

Place an advert seeking a narrower front sight, and wider rear sight. These guns left the factory with alternate parts, so they are out there. Otherwise, as was suggested in an earlier thread: widen the rear sight (but don't do it by hand).
Last edited by stephen_maly on Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dulcmr-man

Post by dulcmr-man »

I had the same problem with a Giles 1911 that I wanted to use for service pistol competition. I was reluctant to modify the original "wagon wheel" rear sight blade so I advertised for a want to buy and found one at a very reasonable price. I removed the original sight blade, installed the replacement, and went to work with a safe-sided fine file, a few strokes at a time on each side until I achieved the sight picture I wanted.

I know nothing about Margolins, but I'd suggest a similar solution. Find a replacement rear sight blade and go to work. IMHO, it's far easier to enlarge the rear sight blade than it is to decrease the front sight blade width. FWIW.

Dennis, aka Dulcmrman
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

Unless you've already done it, make sure you file the edges with an outward (towards the front) bevel, i.e. wider on the target side than the shooter side. Also, it is worth noting that not all the Margolin parts are interchangeable. I found that the rear sight screw thread seems to have been changed at some point. Don't know when but I found I couldn’t use a rear sight blade I'd got in a bunch of parts, on one of my pistols.

Bob