Custom titanium firing pins?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
lognom

Custom titanium firing pins?

Post by lognom »

Hi,

I just broke a firing pin on my FAS 6007 from lots of dry firing. I have several back-ups but I was wondering if there is an individual who manufactures custom titanium pins. I want a more rugged pin.

Regards,

Lloyd
merlin32

Re: Custom titanium firing pins?

Post by merlin32 »

well the FAS 6007 manual has multiple warnings saying to never dry fire the gun, and you may also be damaging the chamber as well as the firing pin, so you might want to stop dry firing it, and look into a dry fire plug or dummy rounds. also, using a harder metal on your firing pin is surely just going to accelerate any damage you're doing to the chamber face.
Gort

Post by Gort »

There is a misconception about titanium alloys. They are much softer than steel alloy, they have a much lower tensile strength. Steel alloy coated with titanium nitride has a hard wear resistant surface but its strength comes from the steel body, it is not titanium. Titanium is used where a light weight, acid resistant and temperature resistant alloy is required over high strength or hardness.
Gort
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

Gort wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:52 am There is a misconception about titanium alloys. They are much softer than steel alloy, they have a much lower tensile strength.
Confirmed!
Young's modulus typical steel = 190-215 GPa
Young's modulus pure titanium = 120 GPa

This value represents the material's stiffness or ability to resist deformation when subjected to tensile or compressive forces.
It is a measure of the material's elasticity, indicating how much it will stretch or compress under stress.

G Pa = gigapascals, for those science nerds
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I have titanium firing pins in my competition AR-15s, because they are light enough that you won't get slam fires shooting ammo with sensitive match primers. Another downside of titanium is that if you get a pierced primer, the hot gases will eat the end of your expensive firing pin VERY quickly. That leaves a sharp ragged tip, which will then cause more pierced primers, more erosion and so on...

They now have harder match primers specifically for AR-15's. Once I use up my current primer supply, I will switch to those and get rid of the titanium firing pins.
lognom

Post by lognom »

Thanks for all your responses. I was using protection for the pin/chamber with a small piece of a thick blank credit card. However I now realize I should've replaced the card sooner because right before the pin broke the card had become flattened out from so many shots that it probably had lost its cushioning ability.

Based on what you all said I I'll forget about the titanium pin.

Regards,

Lloyd