FWB 800 rear sight cover problem

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

James Storm

FWB 800 rear sight cover problem

Post by James Storm »

FWB 800 rear sight problem: On 2 of my FWB 800 rifles the rear sight has a plastic cap over the front portion of the sight. This cap came in 2 sizes and configurations: One has 2 horizontal tabs to hold it on. The other configuration, which I have , has 3 little arms, 2 of which clip into holes in the sight body and the 3rd one just sits inside the sight , as near as I can tell. The caps on my rifles are extremely unstable and pop off with little provocation. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so could you solve it and if you could solve it, how did you do so?
Thanks for your help. James Storm
B.p.M

Re: FWB 800 rear sight cover problem

Post by B.p.M »

Yeah they are kind of junky. I ordered two from Germany a couple of weeks ago. The one on my 800X broke after a year. I think Shooting Sports Depot has them in stock. When mine broke, there were not any in stock here in the states.
justadude

Post by justadude »

I agree, the plastic cover is not great, the word flimsy comes to mind.

I have two of these sights, one that came with a 700 and the other an 800. They appear identical.

The question I have: Both of mine have a single philip's head screw on the right side, just in front of the windage knob. The tabs discussed above, keep the cover located while the screw keeps the cover from departing the sight. If yours 'pop off with little provocation' I wonder if the attachment screw in front of the windage knob is also missing.

'dude
B.p.M

Post by B.p.M »

I think it's a new design. Mine has miniscule plastic tabs (top, left & right) without any screw. I know there are two designs though, as SS Depot has two options.

I actually thought about using super glue or epoxy to permanently attach the plastic housing directly to the sight housing when the two replacements ultimately break like the first one. I'm certainly not going to order any more of these things.
alpineboard

Post by alpineboard »

20240207_193810 - Copy.jpg
2022 fwb 800x
James Storm

Post by James Storm »

It seems so strange to me to have the third flimsy arm go into the sight body with nothing to hold it in place. I too have contemplated gluing it or drilling and filing a hole in the sight body for the tiny bump on the third arm to snap into. The sights on my 300 and 600 series air rifles have solid sights. These on the 800 are a disgrace on an otherwise fine rifle.