Problem with SCATT being Off-Call

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Barry

Problem with SCATT being Off-Call

Post by Barry »

Had 2 SCATTs out for Jr shooters to practice on and I couldn't get them to stay on-call. Both of them absolutely worthless. I'd shoot, adjust the impact closer to call, shoot again, and it would be off target. One was a USB and the other a wireless. Both sensors were mounted straight and tight. None of my talented competitive shooters could keep them on target either.

These things are usually rock-solid once I get them set up, but this time they seemed possessed. Any idea what could have been wrong?
pfiori

Re: Problem with SCATT being Off-Call

Post by pfiori »

A better description of the environment than you are operating in would be helpful to know.
Assuming that both units are IR based, not camera type, any reflective surfaces such as polished floor between the sensor and target?
What type of heating system, forced hot air/ typical range ventilation?
Mirage occurs indoors and randomly displaces the image that the sensor sees.
These are the most common causes of what you describe with the IR based units.
If camera based, such as MX02, insufficient lighting on the target and a less that optimal level of contrast in the target or multiple aiming bulls (or anything that the camera sees as multiple aiming bulls) are the most common causes of problems.
Martin H

Post by Martin H »

Hi Barry,
If they are IR 10m Scatt's, it could be interference between the two units picking up the IR beams from the other unit's target.

But after 4 years of no problems, I had some strange behaviour from my MX-02, I noticed the zero shifting when live firing with 22 smallbore. The zero would move vertically from 7 ring high to the 7 ring low. Strangely there was no zero shift when dry firing.
I emailed Scatt and had an immediate reply. We arranged for Peter from Scatt to use TeamViewer to help diagnose the problem (after I sent him the TeamViewer PIN by WhatsApp). It turns out the Scatt software and firmware needed updating, probably due to successive Windows updates on my laptop.
He took approx. 10min to fix my Scatt, its worked perfectly ever since.
Cheers Martin
PirateJohn

Post by PirateJohn »

I was having problems with my SCATT once and I discovered that the problem was that my air tank wasn't quite tight so the fraction of a millimeter of wiggle caused the SCATT to point in an unpredictable direction. Making sure my air tank was tight fixed the issue.
Mike Carter

Post by Mike Carter »

USB IR Scatt at 10M. I had set up 3 systems side by side. Only one of them would work reliably. It was separated from the two that would not by a 3' square concrete column.
Conclusion, there was cross talk between the two that next to each other. 48" firing points. Once I put them 3 firing points from each other the problem was solved.

Mike