offhand advise needed

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

gnm

offhand advise needed

Post by gnm »

I recently started shooting offhand with my 1962 Anschutz SuperMatch 54. It's a very heavy rifle, and I was struggling to hold it with my supporting hand. So I added a palm rest which made it significantly easier to hold even though it is now over 13 lbs. After I adjusted palm rest, my cheek rest became uncomfortable, so I lowered it about 2-3 mm. I used to really press my face into the cheek rest, and now it's comfortable.

As a result, the size of my groups decreased dramatically. However, all groups shifted straight down very visibly and very slightly to the left. I am not sure what to do now.

Should I re-adjust my sights? Should I raise the cheek rest back? Something else?

Thank you!
marky-d

Re: offhand advise needed

Post by marky-d »

I'm no expert, but I would say yes, first fit the rifle to you, then adjust the sights so it hits where you look.

marky-d
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Anschutz made the sights adjustable for a reason. If your group isn't centred, click the sights*. Changing how the rifle fits will very often require sight adjustment. This isn't something to be fearful of though, as the sights are intended to be uset adjustable, and there are dedicated sighting targets (or time) in competitions. And, it's perfectly common to click the sights from session to session, and during a series of competition shots to keep your group centred, even indoors with no wind.

*On an Anschutz rearsight: Anticlockwise top turret for up, and anticlockwise side turret for right; ignore the markings on the turrets, Germans think about where your group is, not where you want to go. I'd expect a 1962 rifle to have a rearsight with 1/6minute clicks - each clicks moves POI by about 2.5mm at 50m.
gnm

Post by gnm »

Thank you! Thank you!