Suspiciously many shots per fill (Steyr LP 50 RF Compact)

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
kqrxbn

Suspiciously many shots per fill (Steyr LP 50 RF Compact)

Post by kqrxbn »

A while ago I begun to notice that I seemed to get more shots per fill than I was accustomed to and last week I counted the number of shots. I began with a tube filled to very close to 200 bars (the hand of the manometer covered the 200-bar line). After 110 shots, I got the "you're out of air" ploinking sound in it (but the shots still landed right) and on the 114th it did not reload properly. Now, this is an LP 50 RF Compact. If I understand matters correctly, the difference between RF, HP and the base model is basically just the velocity setting. I noticed when it was new that I got more shots out of it than what Steyr claimed, but since I have never ever been close to shooting so fast that I have wanted it "faster" I never really though about it. It shoots better than I do, and still does, but I'm wondering if the velocity adjustment may have slowly shifted over time.

Approximately 35000 pellets have traveled through the barrel, and I've also done a couple of tens of thousands of dry fires with the dry-firing magazine. May something have unwound itself somewhat? At this point I'm pretty satisfied with the air lasting longer. A while ago I shot 25 metres with this pistol and got groups that were perfectly acceptable for me, so I does not seems to lack oomph. However, if it keeps adjusting itself I presume it will reach a point (perhaps suddenly) where shots start landing a bit randomly.

What would a diligent shooter do in this situation?
brent375hh

Re: Suspiciously many shots per fill (Steyr LP 50 RF Compact)

Post by brent375hh »

Your striker spring may well have weakened over those cycles, which would decrease your velocity. The spring washers in your regulator could have also weakened over time which would close the inlet valve at less plenum pressure, especially if you always leave a charged cylinder attached. As long as it is still shooting to your satisfaction, its probably a moot point for now.

Maybe a chronograph purchase could be in your future?
SuperIIFT

Post by SuperIIFT »

If You are still shooting 10's leave it alone
OR send it to our host Scott at Pilkington

Dennis
rmca

Post by rmca »

kqrxbn wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:05 pm What would a diligent shooter do in this situation?
Without knowing the muzzle velocity, you are in the dark.
Could simply be that the striker spring adjusting screw has come a bit loose, the spring has weakened, or your regulator is acting up, cylinder gauge may be reading off... there is a number of things that can be wrong.

Send it in for a service.
Replace o-rings, striker spring, and check the pressure regulator.

Hope this helps
kqrxbn

Post by kqrxbn »

Thanks! I have ordered a chronograph to see what it clocks in at. May be useful for other things in future too, I hope.

The cylinder usually does remain attached. I almost always forget to uncock it too, so that may be another future spring to replace. Is it to be expected that springs wear out relatively quickly? I like machines that just keep going 😃

As for the cylinder pressure, the pressure on the cylinder and the pump agree with each other so that is the only thing I can say is probably not the problem. I'll check with the dealer I bought it from, once I've confirmed the speed with the chronograph. As I mentioned, I've not noticed any accuracy problems yet. Unfortunately not all my hits are tens, but I have a feeling I can't blame the pistol…
kqrxbn

Post by kqrxbn »

I got the chronograph and shot three shots over it, clocking in at 544±1 ft/s approximately half a metre from the muzzle. No scientific setup (I just kneeled in front of the table where the chronograph sat and fired three shots), but it seems to me that is a reasonable speed for an LP 50 and relatively consistent, although the sample size is of course quite small. Should I measure differently and/or does the current speed sound good?

Both cylinders agree with the manometer on the pump, so I do not think I'm overfilling them.

ETA: sorry for mixing the units up 😃 The chronograph is made in the United States and happily reports numbers only in feet/s, while my brain thinks in terms of the international standard baguette.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

544 is certainly acceptable to me, but I don't shoot at 25 meters.
I set up my Evo at 515 and get 150 shots per cylinder, but my gun does not use air to cock itself.
kqrxbn

Post by kqrxbn »

These are quite light pellets too, by the way, so with heavier ones I presume it would shoot slower. Well, does not seem that it is suspiciously slow. Maybe the shot count that Steyr advertises is with an even higher speed and heavier pellets. It's fun to own a chronograph but not sure if I learned anything 🤔