S&W 14 rear sight

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Tonym

S&W 14 rear sight

Post by Tonym »

Can anybody recommend a replacement for rear sight for use in ISSF centerfire match on a S&W model 14? I was told the LPA were the best but the Australian distributor doesnt seem to carry one that fits the model 14. Can you still buy Millett rear sights for the S&W and who sell them. thanks for any help.
Rover

Re: S&W 14 rear sight

Post by Rover »

You don't say why you want a change, but I changed the sight on mine.

I took a 3/16 inch chain saw file and opened the notch to a half moon. Much better!
The Russians liked it. too.
Tonym

Post by Tonym »

I would like to get a larger rear sight blade to use for ISSF centerfire pistol match. I think it will give a finer adjustment and a better sight picture when in the duelling / rapid fire half of the match. If there is a better sight for this purpose I am all ears.
Tonym

Post by Tonym »

I have been told that LPA dont make a sight to fit the older S&W 14s like mine and the only option might be a Millett rear sught, anyone know where to get one as they seem pretty hard to find
dino911

Post by dino911 »

Hi Tony,
I have a custom built S & W mod 36 with the Millett rear sight & custom wide blade fitted ( plus a custom made foresight too) and it does make it easier to align and sight the target.
Attachments
s & w 1.jpg
s & w 1.jpg (8.19 KiB) Viewed 5322 times
s & w 2.jpg
s & w 2.jpg (11.29 KiB) Viewed 5322 times
s & w 3.jpg
s & w 3.jpg (18.23 KiB) Viewed 5322 times
s & w 4.jpg
s & w 4.jpg (10.12 KiB) Viewed 5322 times
6string

Post by 6string »

dino911 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:36 pm Hi Tony,
I have a custom built S & W mod 36 with the Millett rear sight & custom wide blade fitted ( plus a custom made foresight too) and it does make it easier to align and sight the target.
Wow, that is really something! Very original and purpose-built.
Can you share more photos?
dino911

Post by dino911 »

sure, will have to take some when I get a chance...
dino911

Post by dino911 »

Attachments
DSC_5604.jpg
DSC_5603.jpg
DSC_5599.jpg
6string

Post by 6string »

Thanks for taking the extra photos. This looks very well thought out. I like the high grip and the way the sight line sits so low. It looks like you’re using a Pardini SP GRIP.
What is going on with the “two triggers”? Is the forward one shaped to account for the change in grip and trigger reach?
Some other things appear self explanitory, such as the trimmed cylinder for full wadcutters.
Clever hammer extension for the left hand!

If you’re on the S&W forum, I bet they’d love to see your nicely modified m36!
dino911

Post by dino911 »

This was custom built by Graham Millett after he and Barry Cameron had thought out the design ( both late of Blacktown Pistol Club, Sydney Australia). The grip was made by Barry Cameron so that the hand position was similar to a semi-auto centre fire ISSF pistol - and the cocking lever added to make fast cocking easy. The trigger needed the " trigger shoe " added for reach and is single action only. It has one of the last Tony Lissner 38spl barrels made. Shortened cylinder for wadcutter target loads. All in all a very accurate ISSF centre fire pistol. :)
6string

Post by 6string »

Thanks fir sharing!
I don't know the gunsmiths you mention. But, everyone involved did some great work!
Tonym

Post by Tonym »

they done a great job on that gun, I remember Barry Cameron and Tony Lissner from Blacktown PC in the early nineties. its a shame that there doesnt seem to be any aftermarket rear sights available for the older S&Ws now
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Millet ceased manufacture a while ago, you can occasionally find them used.
Be careful bending them unless properly fixed, they can snap.

Bowen Classic Arms make/made a replacement but won't export, maybe you can get someone in the US to export if they still make them.
https://www.bowenclassicarms.com/parts_ ... ights.html

LPA is fine, the blade is rock hard and a normal file won't touch it. If you want a wider slot you'll need a dremel disc or a diamond file.
I think the clicks are a bit coarse and clunky, I only used mine for PPC.

Is it an old or new M14? If you're prepared to have two holes tapped in your frame to match the modern S+Ws tapped for scope mounts then a current LPA rearsight can be fitted.
Otherwise if there was a LPA rearsight which fitted original S+Ws I'm sure they're long out of production
Beware some of the tapping kits, they are supplied with the wrong size pilot drill.

This is the LPA sight you'd be looking for

https://www.lpasights.com/en/products/txt0407/

I have one which I'm not currently using, although I may take the parts and make a new setup for my Toz 49 (which currently has a Millett and adaptor)

If you're desperate I can sell it and take the parts from another sight, actually this might trigger me to fit a Pardini rearsight.
I can take some photos to compare LPA with S+W, Millet if it helps.
K38

Post by K38 »

I'm pretty sure I would sell a kidney just to see a TOZ 49! I have never even heard of one being in the US. No good reason, I've just always been interested in them. Kind of stupid really as the idea of an ISSF centerfire match in Texas is pretty much pie in the sky. I did however find this. These guys make beautiful sights and sight ribs. Mostly for Police (PPC) matches here. They are able to sight in for more than one distance. I have a Smith and Wesson Model 10 PPC revolver that nobody wanted that has a beautiful Aristocrat Tri Set rib. It was just too cheap and too wonderful to pass up.
https://aristocratproducts.com/specialty-sights.html

The sight rib needed a part and I called up Aristocrat, they sent me the part and refused to take any money for it. Very nice folks.

D.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Well I had two Toz 49s for a while.

Typically an S+W with an Aristocrat rib will have a hard time fitting in the ISSF box.
K38

Post by K38 »

I was thinking of just their rear sight.

D.
K38

Post by K38 »

A model 14 with a Bo-Mar rib will fit in the box depending on grips. Unfortunately Bo-Mar is sadly out of business now. The Aristocrat is a lot bigger.

D.