AP and best friends?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

KDZ

AP and best friends?

Post by KDZ »

Our beloved granddog stays with us several times per year when our daughter travels. Bonnie is a chihuahua mix: very loyal, intelligent, funny, and despite her breed rarely barks. She does however have the chihuahua anxiety / nervousness and sometimes has what looks like panic attack, shaking and with a fearful expression.

Bonnie is quite afraid of the report of my FWB P44 air pistol. Whether I shoot in the garage or outside the house she can still hear it, and goes into shaking / hiding mode. Mrs (grandma) gets upset and I have to stop shooting.

To me the AP report is a tiny pop, and we know that hunting or police dogs are fine with actual gunfire. My theory is the AP report has a high-frequency component that we can't hear but may be audible and alarming to nervous doggies.

Have other doggies experienced this?
Last edited by KDZ on Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-TT-

Re: AP and best friends?

Post by -TT- »

Absolutely yes. For ours, it seemed to get worse with age, which we attributed to her reduced hearing. Certain noises, or the anticipation of certain noises (thunder meant the crack of approaching lightning) made it much worse.

A useful way to reduce the noise is to hold the pistol inside a row of dismounted tires, aligned like a huge wraparound silencer. Be sure the breech and muzzle are completely within the front and rear edges. And align the business end somewhat crosswise to the direction you want to minimize. Might be enough!
gn303

Post by gn303 »

Much depends on how the dog was raised. Our Malinois Shepard (a rescue dog) hated gunfire or thunderstorm and ran away when a gun was fired, even an air pistol. We knew a storm was approaching just by the behavior of the dog. Our Bull-Mastiff just didn't care at all. The Rotties however get angry when the thunder is 'rolling'.
Just my (30 years) experience.
Regards.
G.
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

KDZ wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:36 pm She does however have the chihuahua anxiety . . . sometimes has what looks like panic attack, shaking . . .
Quaaludes and Taco Bell might be the fix:
KDZ wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:36 pmHave other doggies experienced this?
Not sure what Rover gives his dog . . . almost afraid to ask . . . .
Rover

Post by Rover »

I think you guys give new meaning to the phrase, "Pumping the poodle."
gn303

Post by gn303 »

To complete my earlier message:
When you're shooting leave the dog with to someone he trusts, your partner or neighbor. Arrange that the dog can hardly hear the noise of the gun even an airgun. That way the dog will slowly get used to the sound and realize there is no danger. But it will take time!
Good luck.
justadude

Post by justadude »

Somewhat similar to the response by gn303, look into 'counter conditioning'.

Part of this depends on the dog being food motivated or there at least being some very high value treat that the dog just loves. This also requires two people.

Have the dog somewhere where it can hear the report of the air pistol but it is not very loud.

Every time the air pistol is fired, the second person give the dog a high value treat. Bang-treat, bang-treat, etc. Do that for a while, next session, same thing but perhaps a little closer. Eventually, the dog will come to associate the bang or pop of the AP with getting a treat and won't get so worked up. When completely counter conditioned, it will still help to have someone treat the dog occasionally when you are training.

Another question in all of this: What kind of pellet trap are you using? If it is a simple steel plate kind of trap, perhaps muffle it by gluing wood to the back with a rubberized adhesive or other means. Sometimes it is not the airgun but the clang of the trap that is upsetting the dog.

'dude
KDZ

Post by KDZ »

1. Pellet trap: Both the 10M and 20M ranges have traps designed to muffle noise. They are wood-framed rectangles with thick sheet metal backing, lined with putty "duct seal" material that is 1-2" thick. These traps are very quiet, and I'm convinced the sound scaring Bonnie is the AP report itself. The duct seal also traps the pellets and prevents them from fragmentation and ricochet

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Ben ... /310616351

2. Distance: Even when Bonnie is with grandma on the other side of the house several rooms away from the shooting area, she hears it. Grandma "Oh you were shooting again! No wonder she was shaking!"

3. Bonnie is bonded to her mom (our daughter) and grandma. My purpose is to supply begged morsels after her defined dinner, and when our daughter is away longer walks. I also am required to BBQ ribeye or lamb periodically, being full-service
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

KDZ wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:13 amI also am required to BBQ ribeye or lamb periodically, being full-service
Rover and I will over for dinner!

Rover, bring your elk steaks; I'll get some genuine Appalachian 'Shine for you and the Chihuahua.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I had the lamb a few days ago and with the holiday season here, I think I'll make the beloved west coast holiday fisherman favorite, cioppino!
(With Bloody Mary's.)
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

When my AmStaff sees my pistols or rifles, he automatically goes into hiding mode. With the new year's celebration and the neighbors setting off fireworks, the dog didn't bark, hide, nor was he scared of the popping and exploding sounds.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Wow, the cioppino turned out to be excellent. There was enough liquid left to convert it to a pasta sauce then frozen.

Next Friday it will be De Cecco orecchiette pasta with refurbed sauce, mussel meat, and piselli. Red wine, of course.

I'll leave you guys to your "poodles."