Budget precision rifles

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Vibin

Budget precision rifles

Post by Vibin »

Hi all,
I'm trying to get into 10m issf precision rifle shooting.

A little background on me, I've been shooting rifle since I was about 10 or 11 (I am 18 now) I started out in air rifle through a 4-h club near me and soon after I moved over to small bore shooting which is what I stuck with for most of my time shooting. During that time I frequently competed out at Camp Perry up here in Ohio at the air rifle range and started to enjoy air rifle more and more. I shot at a national level for small bore last year. Right now i'm shooting sporter using the crossman challenger ch2021 and getting ready to go to nationals for that. But after that I would like to get into the precision side of things, My parents and I have been hesitant on getting me into precision class shooting because I was still growing and we didn't want to spend a bunch of money on a shooting jacket and pants that I would grow out of quickly.

I've done some research already and am probably going to go with an an anschutz match leather shooting jacket and pants (From what ive seen they are issf compliant but if i'm wrong please correct me)

It's harder to find information on the rifles though, so finally to get to the question, what are some good recommendations on rifles for the precision class. I'd say my price range is anywhere from 750$ to around 1,500$ though I can spend more. Any help would be appreciated!
justadude

Re: Budget precision rifles

Post by justadude »

Good Morning Vibin,

So you are ready to transition to precision air rifle? Cool!

You ask a number of questions about equipment so I will start with the rifle first. While you may find some older 'single stroke pneumatic' rifles out there for under $1000 you really want to focus on the more modern 'pre compressed pneumatic' PCP airguns. In the used market you need to watch for a while but can find older Walther LG300 series air rifles or Feinwerkbau Model 700 rifles in that price range. You may end up having to purchase a new air cylinder if the cylinder is 10 years or more old. Be sure to factor the age of the cylinder into the purchase price if it is expired or almost expired. While not as refined as either the Walther or Feinwerkbau a brand new Hammerli AR20 can be had for a little over $1000. There are older Anschutz air rifles out there as well but they are getting fewer and fewer. Likewise with Tesro and Steyr. You can contact places like Oberlie Enterprises 720-670-6818, Champions Choice 615-793-4066 or International Shooter Service 817-595-2090 and ask if they have any used air rifles for sale. They will likely have other suggestions as well. The other 'by the way' when negotiating, make sure the gun comes with sights or if not work that into your price negotiations as well.

You are correct, basic off the rack coat and trousers are the way to go when starting out. Champions Choice (mentioned above) has their own house brand of clothing that will get you started. Oberlie and ISS will have other European offerings while CC may have other European offerings. Call and talk to them about what they have and trying to get the best fit. While it may cost a little more, my own opinion is the European coat and trousers are better made. While there are dedicated shooting boots, a decent pair of athletic shoes is all you need when starting out. Even if the shoes are not absolutely ISSF legal most match directors will allow newer shooters to fire in shoes that are not 100% compliant.

Are you expecting to shoot just 60 Shot Offhand events or will you be shooting 3 Position as well? If you will be shooting 3P you will want a sling and a glove. Just offhand you will probably want a glove but it is not a requirement. A basic sling such as a Gehmann #430 or #433 (for smaller shooters) or one of the similar copies is all that you need. You can spend crazy money on a sling but that is not necessary. Any of the above mentioned supply houses should have a less expensive selection of both slings and gloves geared toward a newer shooter.

You mention shooting at Camp Perry. The CMP 'Gary Anderson' Competition Center is an excellent range AND they will also supply shooting mats and kneeling rolls. If that is only place you will be shooting, you can go a long way on a borrowed mat and roll. If you will be shooting other places that does not have loaner equipment then you will need to get those. As your position(s) develop, the kneeling roll does get kind of personal so you would want that first. When and if you get around to getting your own mat, make sure it is meant for shooting prone off a concrete pad. There are some mats that are more intended as ground covers and shooting off the grass. They do not have as much padding in the elbow area and may start to hurt quickly when used on concrete.

Yeah, so there you go, a quick rundown on making the transition:

Cheers,
'dude
alpineboard

Post by alpineboard »

2 or 3 years ago, there was a rule change for fabric thickness, the new change is for a greater thickness, look it up and see.
I got a new pair of Gehmann pants that are being called "double thick". I like them very much.
I also have the Anschutz leather coat, I will pm you with some info about it. I like the coat very much as well.
Rifle choice advise is a big topic. Buy once , cry once, use and enjoy it forever.
Vibin

Post by Vibin »

justadude wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:20 am Good Morning Vibin,

So you are ready to transition to precision air rifle? Cool!

You ask a number of questions about equipment so I will start with the rifle first. While you may find some older 'single stroke pneumatic' rifles out there for under $1000 you really want to focus on the more modern 'pre compressed pneumatic' PCP airguns. In the used market you need to watch for a while but can find older Walther LG300 series air rifles or Feinwerkbau Model 700 rifles in that price range. You may end up having to purchase a new air cylinder if the cylinder is 10 years or more old. Be sure to factor the age of the cylinder into the purchase price if it is expired or almost expired. While not as refined as either the Walther or Feinwerkbau a brand new Hammerli AR20 can be had for a little over $1000. There are older Anschutz air rifles out there as well but they are getting fewer and fewer. Likewise with Tesro and Steyr. You can contact places like Oberlie Enterprises 720-670-6818, Champions Choice 615-793-4066 or International Shooter Service 817-595-2090 and ask if they have any used air rifles for sale. They will likely have other suggestions as well. The other 'by the way' when negotiating, make sure the gun comes with sights or if not work that into your price negotiations as well.

You are correct, basic off the rack coat and trousers are the way to go when starting out. Champions Choice (mentioned above) has their own house brand of clothing that will get you started. Oberlie and ISS will have other European offerings while CC may have other European offerings. Call and talk to them about what they have and trying to get the best fit. While it may cost a little more, my own opinion is the European coat and trousers are better made. While there are dedicated shooting boots, a decent pair of athletic shoes is all you need when starting out. Even if the shoes are not absolutely ISSF legal most match directors will allow newer shooters to fire in shoes that are not 100% compliant.

Are you expecting to shoot just 60 Shot Offhand events or will you be shooting 3 Position as well? If you will be shooting 3P you will want a sling and a glove. Just offhand you will probably want a glove but it is not a requirement. A basic sling such as a Gehmann #430 or #433 (for smaller shooters) or one of the similar copies is all that you need. You can spend crazy money on a sling but that is not necessary. Any of the above mentioned supply houses should have a less expensive selection of both slings and gloves geared toward a newer shooter.

You mention shooting at Camp Perry. The CMP 'Gary Anderson' Competition Center is an excellent range AND they will also supply shooting mats and kneeling rolls. If that is only place you will be shooting, you can go a long way on a borrowed mat and roll. If you will be shooting other places that does not have loaner equipment then you will need to get those. As your position(s) develop, the kneeling roll does get kind of personal so you would want that first. When and if you get around to getting your own mat, make sure it is meant for shooting prone off a concrete pad. There are some mats that are more intended as ground covers and shooting off the grass. They do not have as much padding in the elbow area and may start to hurt quickly when used on concrete.

Yeah, so there you go, a quick rundown on making the transition:

Cheers,
'dude
Thank you so much! I'll definitely will look at the rifles you recommend and will give some of the companys a call, 3p is my bread and butter so to speak so I will definitely have to get a sling and glove (can use the glove at nationals when I shoot both 3p and 60 offhand). And right now I am currently borrowing a knee roll and the ch2021 from my 4h club. Once I get more into precision I want to try to get onto a college team and apply for some scholarships, my advisors in 4-h are really pushing me to go for some because I have more open to me since I have a couple national competitions under my belt.
Vibin

Post by Vibin »

alpineboard wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:27 am 2 or 3 years ago, there was a rule change for fabric thickness, the new change is for a greater thickness, look it up and see.
I got a new pair of Gehmann pants that are being called "double thick". I like them very much.
I also have the Anschutz leather coat, I will pm you with some info about it. I like the coat very much as well.
Rifle choice advise is a big topic. Buy once , cry once, use and enjoy it forever.
Would be much appreciated!
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

In terms of the sling and glove:

Any European branded sling will be ISSF compliant. Really the only rule is a maximum width of 40mm. Some US slings are wider, either everywhere or at the arm cuff so check it's ISSF width. Other than that until you get to expensive micro-adjustable slings (MEC-Centra, Truttmann Swiss Top etc), most slings are much of a muchness. The big choice is between leather and plastic. A good quality leather sling can work very well, but some become saggy over time. Plastic never stretches, but can be stiffer on the wrist: if you have a wrist injury or your shooting jacket doesn't cover your wrist some plastic slings can bite.

Slings are normally a one-size-fits all.

As for gloves, most are very similar in construction, if not almost identical: short fingers, and a stiff rubber coating. Several European brands sell versions, as do some US retailers under their own brand. In my experience big brands tend to last a little longer, but the cheaper versions will do the job at first. Gloves are a consumable item to some degree, all brands eventually wear thin and stop cushioning your hand properly.

Sizing can cary a bit between brands. Remember a new glove should be snug as the padding is fresh, not so tight it's ready to burst, or loose. Loose gloves will become slippy as the padding wears.
Steven Capes

Post by Steven Capes »

I have a really nice Feinwerkbau 500 that my son used for 2 years. It’s a $1300 rifle new, but I would sell it for $850. It’s a really great rifle for beginners as the adjustments are pretty simple and basic and it’s not a very heavy rifle. I can send you some pictures and more info if you would like to email me at capess@yahoo.com. Thanks and have a great day!