Anschutz 1761 Bolt

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

pthatcher

Anschutz 1761 Bolt

Post by pthatcher »

I have owned a new Anschutz 1761 SB rifle since July and have several hundred rounds through it. In general I really like the rifle; extremely accurate and superb trigger. However, I do have one issue. The bolt is exceedingly difficult to close once a new round is clambered, takes an unusual amount of force to fully close. I predominately shoot CCI standard velocity which has proven to be very difficult to chamber and Eley Target which seems to be a bit better. I have cleaned the rifle on several occasions and adequately lubricated the bolt assembly. Shot yesterday, still an issue. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks.
justadude

Re: Anschutz 1761 Bolt

Post by justadude »

Is there someone in your area with gunsmith skills that might have some head space gauges? Sounds like the head space might be on the tight side.

'dude
Tim S

Re: Anschutz 1761 Bolt

Post by Tim S »

Pthatcher,

It may be the ammunition. There are several threads in the pistol subforum discussing CCI ammunition, and theorising it's dimensioned more for sporting chambers than match chambers. From memory the driving bands are slightly longer to better engage (or reduce jump in) a longer sporting chamber. My club recently acquired some CCI and it's hard to load in club Anschutz rifles - BSA Internationals were easier, but the breech has a lot of camming power. Of two batches one would not load in my Kenyon-barreled 1913 which is more sensitive to cartridge dimensions.