Air Pistol Sighting Problem

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Swoffer

Air Pistol Sighting Problem

Post by Swoffer »

I have been having difficulty getting a clear sight picture on the air pistol range. When I hold on the blank wall just above the target, my sites are perfectly clear. However, when I lower the pistol onto the illuminated target, I get slight blurring of both rear and forward sites making my hold a little uncertain. I do not have the same issue on outside ranges so it is obviously the illumination of the target that is the issue. I am wondering whether a filter on my shooting glasses may help and if so, what colour would be best. TIA.
David M

Re: Air Pistol Sighting Problem

Post by David M »

Sounds like the lens in your glasses are wrong.
Read Dr Wong article and take it to your Optometrist.

https://www.ssusa.org/content/winning-vision-revisited/
Swoffer

Post by Swoffer »

I’ve had an eye test and a new lens fitted just recently but no better. The fact that non-illuminated targets are crystal clear makes me think it isn’t a lens issue?
thirdwheel

Post by thirdwheel »

Yes it is a light problem, and your lens is incorrect for the indoor range it is all to do with your eye being pulled to the target with the bright illumination and the size of your pupil giving you a different depth of vision. The light on the range may not be bright enough although the target is brightly lit up it is a constant conundrum for those that shoot inside and outside. If it is too bright you can try grey filters but everyone is different which is a pain so no fast answers. Replicating the range at the opticians is really hit or miss at times, sometimes opening the rear sights up to allow you to relax your eyes and allow the lens to do it's work as you have the front sight as more of a stand alone helps. Good luck in your quest.
Grippy

Post by Grippy »

I found an iris on the shooting glasses helps greatly with that. Your eye adjusts to the environment and not the the comparatively small self illuminated target. As a result the iris of your eye opens "too wide" and the target turns into a visual mess. Having an iris on the glasses allows you to "override" that and enforce some depth of field and brightness reduction.
PirateJohn

Post by PirateJohn »

You could try an iris to cut down on the glare
Dmaryakh

Post by Dmaryakh »

You have several tools in your toolbox to deal with this - iris, filters, sight width adjustment

start with iris or filters.