Air Pistol and the 11 ring

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Rover

Air Pistol and the 11 ring

Post by Rover »

Back in the day, I recall the installation of the air pistol "11 ring". It was supposed to be an aid to decimal electronic scoring.

I admit to not having felt the need to keep up with rule modifications, but I have been told that the "inner ten" ring is now an X-ring, used for tie-breaking. I call bullshit!

Got anything?
renzo

Re: Air Pistol and the 11 ring

Post by renzo »

There is no "11" score.

Qualifications in air pistol are scored in integer points, only in Olympic finals decimal scoring is used, and then "10.9" is the maximum attainable score.

When there is a tie in qualifications, the FIRST method of breaking it is by quantity of inner tens, which in paper targets are easy to see because they are on the target, and on EST represent a shot whose value is over 10.4.-

And inner tens were a scoring zone since air pistol started as a competitive event, you can call it as such or as an "X" as you want, buy the meaning and value are the same.

Edit: just for the record, I've been here many years, and I can hardly remember when was the last time you approved of anything!!!
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

The standard air pistol configuration of the SIUS electronic target system we use produces results that include "10" and "10x" for shot values. This is actually a pain in the neck, because we have to report the match results to SASP in a spreadsheet as 10's and X's separately. I had to write a routine to convert all of the "10x"s (which the spreadsheet views at text) into numerical 10's and also add up the number of X's.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Renzo sez: "There is no "11" score."
https://fluentslang.com/up-to-eleven-meaning/

And he sez:
"And inner tens were a scoring zone since air pistol started as a competitive event."

Not so; I clearly remember when targets had NO "11" ring.

So, NO I don't approve.

To Gwhite: you certainly have my sympathy.

But I still don't have an answer to my question.
David M

Post by David M »

The "X" ring (Inner Ten ring) or 11 ring as you call it was introduced as a target change in 1989.
Currently on paper and EST target it used as a tie break if you do not have a final.

"quote rule 6.15.1 Individual Ties in 10m, 25m, 50m and 300m Events
All tied scores will be broken for 10m, 25m, 50m, and 300m events by applying
the following Rules:
a) The highest number of inner tens;
b) The highest score of the last ten (10) shot series working backward by 10-shot
series in full ring scoring (not inner tens or decimals) until the tie is broken;
c) If any ties remain, scores will be compared on a shot-by-shot basis using inner
tens (i. e. an inner ten outranks a 10 that is not an inner ten) beginning with
the last shot, then the next to the last shot, etc.;
d) If any ties remain, and EST are used, scores will be compared on a shot-byshot
basis using decimal ring scores beginning with the last shot, then the next
to the last shot, etc.;
e) If any ties remain, the athletes must have the same ranking and must be listed
in Latin alphabetical order using the athlete’s family name;"

At club level shoots use it to win beers from the competition.....
Rover

Post by Rover »

What I wanted to know. Thanks, Dave. You get an 11, especially for the beer idea.
j-team

Post by j-team »

The annoying thing is that the Xring, does not coincide with 10.5 (Correct me if I'm wrong).

I also approve of the beer idea!
PirateJohn

Post by PirateJohn »

Yeah, the X ring for air pistol is somewhere around 10.41 or 10.42. It doesn't exactly correlate with any decimal score.
Attachments
Screenshot_20231210_150836_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20231210_150757_Gallery.jpg
Rover

Post by Rover »

j-team and Pirate John are right. I think this is where the confusion comes in. The 11 ring was never intended to be used for "eyeball" scoring, but rather to assist the electronic apparatus (however THAT works).