2024 Junior Olympic R&P matches?

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

B.p.M

2024 Junior Olympic R&P matches?

Post by B.p.M »

I have an idea how this works (did it as a junior 35+ years ago) but I've been out of that loop for a while.

Each state has a qualifying match, and top male & female get an invite to where ever the national junior Olympic match is held? I hate to be the one to launch slings and arrows, but the organization of the USA Shooting website is not good. I did manage to find a copy of the 2022 Junior Olympic Pistol program buried on one of the pages. I have not been able to find any Rifle program information.

Am I correct that there is a cut-off score for each of the qualifying shooters in each state? Also isn't there an open qualifying score for an invite, if you are not the top athlete in your state? When I looked at the 2022 Pistol program information, it didn't seem to indicate that. Is that somthing that is established after all the state qualifying matches?

Any help would be appreciated.
elbthesurfer

Re: 2024 Junior Olympic R&P matches?

Post by elbthesurfer »

You can automatically qualify by shooting the automatic invite score or be a state champion (minimum of 3 participants). After that USAS will send first round invites up to range capacity. There may be second round invites if there are more openings.

Here are the 1st round and 2nd round cutoff scores from 2023. U21 is a misnomer. You can be 21 and still participate.

M 3x20
Automatic Invite Score: 575
U21 Cut Score: 542 U18 Cut Score: 536 U15 Cut Score: 525
2nd round invites U21 534 U18 Cut Score: 530 U15 Cut Score: 510

MAR
Automatic Invite Score: 580
U21 Cut Score: 563 U18 Cut Score: 559 U15 Cut Score: 546
2nd round invites U21 Cut Score: 559 U18 Cut Score: 555 U15 Cut Score: 535

W 3x20
Automatic Invite Score: 575
U21 Cut Score: 563 U18 Cut Score: 560 U15 Cut Score: 542
No second round invites

WAR
Automatic Invite Score: 580
U21 Cut Score: 571 U18 Cut Score: 566 U15 Cut Score: 559
2nd round invites U21 Cut Score:563 U18 Cut Score: 559 U15 Cut Score: 550
bdutton

Post by bdutton »

I thought the minimum were 5 participants in each gender/discipline to qualify for gold.
elbthesurfer

Post by elbthesurfer »

They changed the minimum to 3 last year and the 3 participants can be a mix of men and women
B.p.M

Post by B.p.M »

elbthesurfer wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:41 pm You can automatically qualify by shooting the automatic invite score or be a state champion (minimum of 3 participants).

That's what I remember. However I thought USAS implemented somthing that the state champion also had to shoot a minimum score too. Thanks for clarifying that and providing the 2023 info.

You wouldn't know where USAS hid the 2024 match announcement? I can't for the life of me find it on their website. I did find the spreadsheet with all the hosts, just not the match announcement.
elbthesurfer

Post by elbthesurfer »

They emailed hosting information to previous hosting site match directors. Not on their website. They used to have state minimums but I have not seen that in the last two JO cycles. Ask Ashley MacAllister at USAS for clarification. Here is a copy and paste of the sample match program for this year's JOs, nothing mentioned about state champion minimum scores.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INVITATIONS TO NJOSC: Invitations to the National Junior Olympic Shooting Championships will
first be sent to automatic invitees. A competitor can earn an automatic invite by meeting the cut-score for their event (see below) or by winning the State Championship in their category (minimum 3 resident competitors required). First-round invitations will also be sent to additional competitors,
based on nation-wide scores, up to range capacity. First-round invites will be sent no later than February 21st, 2024. First-round invitees should register for the NJOSC by February 26th, 2024, in order to secure their spot. After Feb 26th, second-round invites will be sent to fill any remaining space on the range.

AUTOMATIC INVITE CUT SCORES
Air Pistol – 540
Sport Pistol – 530
Air Rifle – 580
Smallbore Rifle – 575
shuidandan

Post by shuidandan »

anybody received the first round invite?
elbthesurfer wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:34 am They emailed hosting information to previous hosting site match directors. Not on their website. They used to have state minimums but I have not seen that in the last two JO cycles. Ask Ashley MacAllister at USAS for clarification. Here is a copy and paste of the sample match program for this year's JOs, nothing mentioned about state champion minimum scores.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INVITATIONS TO NJOSC: Invitations to the National Junior Olympic Shooting Championships will
first be sent to automatic invitees. A competitor can earn an automatic invite by meeting the cut-score for their event (see below) or by winning the State Championship in their category (minimum 3 resident competitors required). First-round invitations will also be sent to additional competitors,
based on nation-wide scores, up to range capacity. First-round invites will be sent no later than February 21st, 2024. First-round invitees should register for the NJOSC by February 26th, 2024, in order to secure their spot. After Feb 26th, second-round invites will be sent to fill any remaining space on the range.

AUTOMATIC INVITE CUT SCORES
Air Pistol – 540
Sport Pistol – 530
Air Rifle – 580
Smallbore Rifle – 575
elbthesurfer

Post by elbthesurfer »

Women's rifle invites just posted on the USAS website