Should I Attend Winter Air Gun Championships - Camp Perry?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
TimMichigan

Should I Attend Winter Air Gun Championships - Camp Perry?

Post by TimMichigan »

I am brand new to the sport, I received my air pistol this past Monday. I do have competition experience form target archery. I saw that Camp Perry, Ohio is hosting the Air Gun Championships this next weekend and I do not intend to compete. Too short of notice to take off Friday and stay through Sunday.

It is a little more than 2.5 hours of travel to get there and I was thinking about heading down for either Saturday or Sunday to meet people and see how things go. I know in archery that is encouraged because you can learn a bit, even from observing. In your opinion, would it be worth it to show up for a few hours to check things out?

If not, I plan to head down for the monthly match on January 20th and compete.

-Tim
Walther LP500
PirateJohn

Re: Should I Attend Winter Air Gun Championships - Camp Perry?

Post by PirateJohn »

Absolutely do it. In fact, I'd say go ahead and compete - you don't have to shoot on Friday because that day is just practice. The actual competition is Saturday and Sunday, so you can drive there Friday night, stay in Port Clinton (I recommend the Best Western), and compete both days.

Getting big match experience is good to do early. It can help you feel what it is like to be in a big match with very good shooters, with electronic targets, and having to recover for the second day.

Unfortunately, for this particular Winter Airgun, the best shooters will mostly be going to Colorado for the Olympic Trials, but you'll still see some excellent shooters in Ohio.

And if you do go on January 20, I'm planning to be there then, too. Be sure to say hi.
TimMichigan

Post by TimMichigan »

PirateJohn wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:09 pm Absolutely do it. In fact, I'd say go ahead and compete - you don't have to shoot on Friday because that day is just practice. The actual competition is Saturday and Sunday, so you can drive there Friday night, stay in Port Clinton (I recommend the Best Western), and compete both days.

Getting big match experience is good to do early. It can help you feel what it is like to be in a big match with very good shooters, with electronic targets, and having to recover for the second day.

Unfortunately, for this particular Winter Airgun, the best shooters will mostly be going to Colorado for the Olympic Trials, but you'll still see some excellent shooters in Ohio.

And if you do go on January 20, I'm planning to be there then, too. Be sure to say hi.
Will you be be at Camp Perry or the Colorado one?
Walther LP500
Dcforman

Post by Dcforman »

Tim, I'll be at Camp Perry. I'd highly recommend going. At the very least, you see how things work so you'll be more comfortable at your first match in January. But honestly, you should just compete. Nobody really cares what anyone else shoots, unless you're at the pointy end of the stick. The experience is invaluable, and a hell of a lot of fun.

Dave
TimMichigan

Post by TimMichigan »

Dcforman wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:04 pm Tim, I'll be at Camp Perry. I'd highly recommend going. At the very least, you see how things work so you'll be more comfortable at your first match in January. But honestly, you should just compete. Nobody really cares what anyone else shoots, unless you're at the pointy end of the stick. The experience is invaluable, and a hell of a lot of fun.

Dave
Thank you! That Saturday is my birthday and it kind of depends on what the wife has planned for me. It’s possible. I think I would have a blast. (Pun intended)
Walther LP500
PirateJohn

Post by PirateJohn »

TimMichigan wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:35 pm
PirateJohn wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:09 pm Absolutely do it. In fact, I'd say go ahead and compete - you don't have to shoot on Friday because that day is just practice. The actual competition is Saturday and Sunday, so you can drive there Friday night, stay in Port Clinton (I recommend the Best Western), and compete both days.

Will you be be at Camp Perry or the Colorado one?
I will be in Colorado for this one. I have competed at Camp Perry three times, most recently in September for the monthly match.