Morini CM84E Compensator Comparisons

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Swoffer

Morini CM84E Compensator Comparisons

Post by Swoffer »

I currently only have the Front Sight Holder which came with the pistol on my CM84E but have been wondering if I should purchase a compensator for less recoil and better follow through. I see there are 2 after-market versions on the Buinger website (Normal & Long compensators) and I wondered if anyone has done a range comparison of the original Front Sight Holder vs Normal compensator vs Long compensator? I like the look of the shorter Normal compensator and as it looks around the same length as the original Front Sight Holder it would still fit in my multi-pistol case for travelling. I have done a search but not found anything definitive. I would appreciate any comments.
Gwhite

Re: Morini CM84E Compensator Comparisons

Post by Gwhite »

The one caution I would have is that compensators tend to collect powder fouling and deposits of lead. They can be difficult to clean without removing the compensator. That means minor sight adjustments are often required when you put them back on. Some people have reported good results by coating the clean compensator with things like spray-on cooking oil so the crud doesn't stick.

I decided they were more trouble than they were worth.
FWB_700_Alu

Post by FWB_700_Alu »

I just made mine flush with the muzzle. Cleaning them is next to impossible.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

That's exactly what I did. Mine arrived with the sight mount forward, and when I discovered how badly it fouled & how hard is was to clean, I decided to scoot it back to flush.
Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

This thread from years ago is worth a read (goodness it feels like it was only yesterday :). I included some images and measurements on the second page.

https://targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=17292

Something else that you need to consider is that both the short (aka "original" or "old") and the long (aka "new") Morini 84 compensators will extend the sight radius by a considerable degree. Though you might think at first that this is a good thing (improved accuracy by allowing a great degree of precision in sight alignment), unless you are an Olympic-grade shooter, the extended length means you could find that your front sight appears to be jumping all over the place which in turn places a psychological barrier in the way of accepting a degree of movement and releasing the shot. With a shorter sight radius, you will perceive less movement of the front sight so you are more likely to bring your sights in line with the target and release the shot within an appropriate time. I have the short compensator and ended up moving it as far back as it would go (so it really doesn't compensate anymore) but it no longer gets gunked up with crud and i find it easier to release the shot.