Has MAP secured USA Olympic QUOTA spot?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Has MAP secured USA Olympic QUOTA spot?

Post by atomicgale »

Has Men's Air Pistol secured an Olympic QUOTA position?

Thus far (08Nov): zero, one, or two?
j-team

Re: Has MAP secured USA Olympic QUOTA spot?

Post by j-team »

PirateJohn

Post by PirateJohn »

Nope. Our remaining chances will be at the Championship of the Americas and at the Olympic Qualification Tournament.
atomicgale

Post by atomicgale »

So, a silver at the PanAm games was a quota for WAP, but not for MAP?
PirateJohn

Post by PirateJohn »

atomicgale wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:38 pm So, a silver at the PanAm games was a quota for WAP, but not for MAP?
I think (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) that the reason for that is because wach athlete can only earn one pistol spot, and the gold medalist had already earned a spot in sport pistol, so she was not allowed to earn one for air pistol as well.
atomicgale

Post by atomicgale »

No, no, no . . . USA earned silver in BOTH women's AND men's air pistol. A quota spot was earned in women's, but not men's. What is difference/distinct?
PirateJohn

Post by PirateJohn »

atomicgale wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:47 pm No, no, no . . . USA earned silver in BOTH women's AND men's air pistol. A quota spot was earned in women's, but not men's. What is difference/distinct?
That's what I mean. The gold medalist in Women's Air Pistol had already earned a spot in Sport Pistol and was therefore not able to secure a spot in Air Pistol as well, so the Olympic spot went to the silver medalist.

In Men's Air Pistol, the winner had not yet secured a spot in any other discipline, so the Olympic spot went to him.
atomicgale

Post by atomicgale »

PirateJohn wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:33 pm In Men's Air Pistol, the winner had not yet secured a spot in any other discipline, so the Olympic spot went to him.
USA only: USA does NOT have a quota in Men's air pistol. However, USA earned a quota for women's AP with a silver at PanAm; whereas, men's is still Zilch, despite a silver at the same venue. Both athletes were still eligible for their first (and only) available quota for their country.

Hence, in my xenophobic, Americano-centric, isolationist world: I'm only referring to USA quotas.

Other powerhouses such as the Vatican, Liechtenstein, Bhutan, Kalifornistan, Burundi, upper Atlantis, and lower Turdistan are on their own merits . . .

. . . and no results yet from Marvin the Martian.
elbthesurfer

Post by elbthesurfer »

At the Pan Am games there is only one quota available in MAP and one in WAP.

In MAP, the quota went to the gold medalist

In WAP, the quota would go to the gold medalist but she has already earned a quota for her country so the quota in WAP went to the silver medalist, Lexi Lagan of the US.

An athlete can earn only one quota regardless of discipline. In this case the WAP gold medalist also won the sport pistol competition and her quota a day earlier
PirateJohn

Post by PirateJohn »

atomicgale wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:04 am
PirateJohn wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:33 pm In Men's Air Pistol, the winner had not yet secured a spot in any other discipline, so the Olympic spot went to him.
USA only: USA does NOT have a quota in Men's air pistol. However, USA earned a quota for women's AP with a silver at PanAm; whereas, men's is still Zilch, despite a silver at the same venue.
You asked why there was a difference. I answered. Not sure why this is difficult to understand.