1990 Walther OSP grip question

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Sa-tevo

1990 Walther OSP grip question

Post by Sa-tevo »

I recently acquired a used Walther OSP that I wasn't very interested in (due to being chambered in 22 Short) with the sale of a pistol I was interested in. The OSP came at a low enough price where I figured I could use the frame to cobble up a GSP if I ran across any GSP parts bargains.

It turns out the OSP (and supplied ammunition) is a hoot to shoot.

Now my question is the unmodified factory grips seem to have a very strange shape compared to other great (Morini Free Pistol), good (Rink Air Pistol/Free Pistol/Sport Pistol) and poor (Steyr Air Pistol/FWB Sport Pistol) grips. The front of the grips are large and awkward, and the rear is narrow. The previous owner had a Free Pistol with a Morini grip that fits my hand splendidly, so I guess my hand is close to his hand in dimensions.

Any insight on why the OSP grip seems to have a weird shape compared to my other grips?

An example of the OSP model I have (image from another forum):
BobGee

Re: 1990 Walther OSP grip question

Post by BobGee »

The GSP/OSP family are quite long pistols. Could it be that the grip is the shape it is so that the gun will fit in the box?

Bob
rmca

Post by rmca »

It had to fit the box.
Some OSP had a shorter barrel than the "normal" GSP, and you can see that difference in the grip size.
That is why the GSP's grip looks like it has cut too short, otherwise it wouldn't fit.
By the way, the box is 300*150*50mm. Back in the .22 short era, it had an allowance in one of the dimensions, that I can't remember now what was it...
Anyway, since the .22 short isn't allowed in any ISSF competition, the size does not matter anymore.
Find a grip that fits you, and blast away.

Hope this helps
Sa-tevo

Post by Sa-tevo »

What was strange to me was the part of the grip that the palm and the fingers wrap around had an airfoil profile. No finger ridge, no palm swell, no finger grooves.

I have since carved the grip to fit my hand better.