paper to electronic score improvement (25yd prone)

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

jedin

paper to electronic score improvement (25yd prone)

Post by jedin »

I suppose that when moving from paper to electronic targets, one should expect a score improvement (thereby giving an advantage in competition to clubs with rich members...), as one is no longer moving between diagrams. Anybody have an idea of what one ought to expect? (So I don't suddenly think I'm improving, when I'm not :)
colinlp

Re: paper to electronic score improvement (25yd prone)

Post by colinlp »

That's a bit of a double edged sword as when those rich members shoot a competition at a range that use paper targets they could be at a disadvantage. The way I see it though is you should be able to move between diagrams without dropping points, it's an exercise in sorting out your NPA quickly and accurately
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Julian,

Interestingly my county association has currently banned electronic targets pending an investigation into compliance*. There was a general feeling at the AGM that ESTs increase scores, though no-one had hard data to back this up. My suspicion is that a single aiming mark is an advantage, but is this tempered by non-human scoring. No-one could.plains about MTM jackets, or batch-tested ammo, or a new rifle being an advantage.

As for loosing skills over NPA adjustment, it's possible, although enough USAMU and other Internatiobal shooters have done well enough at Camp Perry/Bisley to suggest it's not insurmountable.

*County rules require a sticker be affixed before shooting, and various luddites don't understand how this works electronically.
j-team

Post by j-team »

Just out of interest, what brand of electronic targets are suitable for 25 yard prone?
Martin H

Post by Martin H »

j-team wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:39 pm Just out of interest, what brand of electronic targets are suitable for 25 yard prone?
We have Meyton targets for 25 yard indoor.
Cheers Martin
m1963

Post by m1963 »

Our experience is, once the shooter becomes accustomed to digital targets there is almost no- a negligible- difference in score...between the two.