Anyone still using CO2 match pistols

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Morini162

Anyone still using CO2 match pistols

Post by Morini162 »

I still have an old Walther CP2 Match CO2 pistol. The grip and balance suit me well and the sights are great. Does anyone still use CO2 pistols in competition?
I need to change all the seals and a valve and maybe Earls Repair shop is the place to go to.

Any advice appreciated
mus

Re: Anyone still using CO2 match pistols

Post by mus »

Yes, Feinwerkbau Modell 2 user here. It's heavy and the grip angle and balance don't suit me as well as those of the Steyr LP10 club pistols but it's mine, all mine... And CO2 is such a great propellant, easily 200 shots per fill.
Also, fantastic trigger, nice loading gate, flawless and smooth operation and performance still after all these years.

For official competitions I'd need to use approved cilinders (which needless to say have 'expired' long ago) but at my local club I'm allowed to take part in postal leagues with it, which is fine for the moment as my level is really modest, to say the least.

Cannot advise regarding your Walther's revision, sorry.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Morini162 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:22 am I still have an old Walther CP2 Match CO2 pistol. The grip and balance suit me well and the sights are great. Does anyone still use CO2 pistols in competition?
I need to change all the seals and a valve and maybe Earls Repair shop is the place to go to.

Any advice appreciated
Those CP2 were (are) great guns. They were really solid; I'm happily using a Walther SSP, when I have two CA guns. I would buy one if I found it cheap.

I would try Pilkington for repairs. I seem to recall them rebuilding and selling a bunch of the Walthers some time back.
David M

Post by David M »

mus wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:47 am For official competitions I'd need to use approved cilinders (which needless to say have 'expired' long ago) but at my local club I'm allowed to take part in postal leagues with it, which is fine for the moment as my level is really modest, to say the least.
My understanding is that the 10yr life is on High Pressure Air Cylinders (200-300 bar), CO2 cylinders are very different as they are low pressure tanks.
The ban should not be applied to CO2 tanks as the pressure is only 72-73 bar (room temperature).
madmax

Post by madmax »

ISSF GTR 6.7.6.2(g) states that both Air and CO2 cylinders must be within the 10 year compliance date.
mus

Post by mus »

madmax wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:48 pm ISSF GTR 6.7.6.2(g) states that both Air and CO2 cylinders must be within the 10 year compliance date.
Yes, an answer to that effect was also given by our (Dutch) national shooting sports federation when I asked.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Many CO2 cylinders don't have ANY date on them.

I had one company re-date my CA cylinders

Hint hint.
nicolas G

Post by nicolas G »

I use an old Feinwerkbau C25 which is perfect for me. I don't want to change it until I find some gaskets. It still works perfectly, even though it's from 1993. I can use it in competition in France.
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

Morini162 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:22 amDoes anyone still use CO2 pistols in competition?
. . . and you can still ride your horse to the match. Results you can communicate via telegraph . . . .
Rover

Post by Rover »

atomicgale wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:17 am
Morini162 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:22 amDoes anyone still use CO2 pistols in competition?
. . . and you can still ride your horse to the match. Results you can communicate via telegraph . . . .
...yeah, and they have INDOOR shitters!
porkchop

Post by porkchop »

I'm still shooting a Steyr LP-1 with CO2, in fact I have new o-ring seals and lube coming this week. My next purchase will be a CA conversion kit for it. I read somewhere about using nitrogen as a gas. If anyone is doing that I'd like to hear from you and how it's working out, it would be very new to me. I called our fire department and the lady said they wouldn't fill my scuba tank if I had one because of liability. There isn't a diving shop in my town and the nearest one is about 100 miles distant, so another expense to pay. If the pumps were cheaper I would buy one, but they're $200 or more. How long does it take to hand pump a cylinder or two ? Thanks
Stan
kqrxbn

Post by kqrxbn »

I have an LP 50 and pump 1–2 cylinders per day. Takes about a minute per cylinder and I'm not a marathon runner. Sure, increases your heart rate a bit but is not terribly intense.
rmca

Post by rmca »

Porkchop,

From 100 to the max 200 bar, should be about two minutes. And that's slow pumping.
To about 150 bar it's pretty easy, not munch force required. The 150 to 200 are a bit stiffer, but I find it's more about technique than brute force.
Lean over the pump and with your arms stretched, let your upper body weight do the pumping.
Given the situation you described, a pump is your best option in my view.
And you can always have your cylinders at the full 200 bar.

I've converted a couple of LP1 from CO2 to air. It's pretty easy to do so.

Hope this helps
porkchop

Post by porkchop »

I will get the kit and convert next week, any suggestions on a hand pump?
m1963

Post by m1963 »

Hand-pumps have humidity (think corrosion) issues- even with the desiccant beads.

Dive tanks are the way to go. Even if you do not have "dive" facilities close to you there are folks with 'dive quality' compressors, willing to help out. I would suggest seeking them out, in your area. Even filling two dive tanks at a time is better (costs less) than buying a compressor.

Buying a compressor is a big step. Only do it if you need regular air- beyond what a tank will deliver- or you have deep pockets. We use a Coltri MCH-6 dive compressor for all of our air, for multiple shooters. We are on the bubble...maybe the dive shops could have helped us with regular air....BUT, the dive shop 'bros,' (they know everything, don't ya' know) pushed us into buying a compressor.

https://www.umarexusa.com/airgun-filling-locations
fc60

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

I recently sold my PCP Air Pistol and went to the CO2 powered Walther CPM-1.

It came with a 20# Fire Extinguisher and you get a lot of refills per tank.

When it is empty, just return it to the shop for a new one. No Hydro nor Annual inspections...

The pellet velocity is the same with CO2 or PCP, 150 m/s.

Cheers,

Dave
porkchop

Post by porkchop »

Dave, was there a reason you went to CO2 or just because you bought the CPM-1 ?
Stan
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

porkchop wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:09 am I read somewhere about using nitrogen as a gas. If anyone is doing that I'd like to hear from you and how it's working out . . .
Nitrogen Hypoxia is the latest fad in euthanizing criminals - less messy than 'Ol Sparky, but not quite as traditional Americana like the firing squad.
Have considered applying Nitrogen hypoxia as a deterrent for finishing Eighth in the Finals in local matches, but didn't receive much enthusiasm.
For now, I'll stick with my tried & true Nitrous-Oxide boosters after shooting a Seven . . . .
fc60

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

@porkchop I do not shoot as much and my SCUBA tank needed a Hydro test and I did not want to spend the money. With CO2, the pressure is constant as long as there is liquid in the cylinder. Yes, temperature will cause the pressure in the pistol to vary; but, I shoot indoors and the temperature is rather stable.

@m1963 For a new shooter either SCUBA or CO2 will work fine. The test targets from the factory with both my SCUBA and CO2 guns were one hole.
I "think" CO2 was stopped in Europe due to "Global Warming".

I shoot less and less each year and I doubt I will be seriously competitive again.

Fortunately, the local club does not check the dates on the air cylinders. We just assemble for a good match and a better lunch afterwards.

Both style of pistol will need O-Ring maintenance. Hopefully, none of the inner parts go bad.

Before buying a new/used pistol, be sure parts are still available.

Cheers,

Dave
renzo

Post by renzo »

porkchop wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:09 am I read somewhere about using nitrogen as a gas. If anyone is doing that I'd like to hear from you and how it's working out, it would be very new to me.
Yes, since about ten years we use nitrogen in our club to fill PCP pistols and rifles.

We started trying to lease compressed air 10 m3 tubes, but the people filling them never got the pressure right, and the gas was full of impurities.

So we located one shop that purveys different gases to hospitals, and the 10 m3 tubes came sealed at exactly 200 BAR. We use them until they are at about 150, and then call for a replacement. As they nevertheless sell it in smaller tubes at only 40 BAR, we pay only what we have used.

Moreover, the thread in the tube is exactly the size of the adaptors of every brand of airguns, which wasn't the case with compressed air.

Word of caution: it was useful because we are a club, I doubt this is a feasible option for a single or small group of shooters.