Karl KENYON trigger.

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

nicolas G

Karl KENYON trigger.

Post by nicolas G »

Hello everyone,
Nicolas G, I am a former shooter and I live in France.
I have been visiting your site for many years but today I decided to register and I therefore ask you to accept me into your community.
I shoot 60 bullets in small caliber and I have an old Walther KKM.
Today I have a question to ask you:
I have a K KENYON trigger that was used by one of your great shooters. Here are some photos. I don't know what rifle it fits on, maybe an Anschutz?
Can you tell me more ?
Thank you for your help.
Sportingly.
Nicholas.
Attachments
IMG_2959 (1).jpg
IMG_2957 (1).jpg
IMG_2956 (1) (1).jpg
Tim S

Re: Karl KENYON trigger.

Post by Tim S »

Nicholas

Your trigger looks very much like Kenyon triggers I had that were made for Anschutz 54s. It's not a very early trigger, as those had an external adjustment cam, but I can't say if it would fit a 14/16xx or an 18/29/20xx bolt.

The trigger blade, or shoe, does not look original.
nicolas G

Post by nicolas G »

Thank you Tim for all these details. A former international shooter gave it to me. It's a gift from a great American champion. It is difficult to mention his name. I know it.
At the end of his career, my friend used 1913s.
This might fit with your reasoning.
It's relaxation is direct.
What did you think of your K Kenyon triggers compared to the Anschutz?
Thank you.
Nicholas
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Nicholas,

I'm afraid I never shot with one, and only briefly used the other. I'd wanted one to fit an Anschutz 1813, but was sold two that were actually for 14/1613 bolts.

Eventually I found a Kelly, which I like very much.
nicolas G

Post by nicolas G »

Tim,
Thank you for this information.
I will try to find a 1913 in my shooting club, to see if it could go on it.
rbsev

Post by rbsev »

the trigger shoe appears to be built to act as a 2 stage, my guess, and it sure doesn't look like anything Kenyon would have put together. Kenyon triggers were, and continue to be in a class all by themselves, finest ever made. It is an earlier trigger due to the case being blue. If you would like a copy of Kenyon's instructions for that trigger, I could email you a copy
nicolas G

Post by nicolas G »

That's right, there's a bump before the hard point.
As I mentioned, this mechanism belonged to a great US champion. It may have been a special order from Karl KENYON ? I don't think my friend modified it.
I'll be in touch with rbsev
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Nicholas,

Karl Kenyon did make a spring loaded trigger shoe to give the feel of a two-stage release. I have a 1913 barrel/action built by Karl in 1993/94, which I'm told came with this pseudo-two stage. Sadly the original owner wanted a true two stage, and replaced it with a 5018.
nicolas G

Post by nicolas G »

Hello Tim,
we're talking about the same trigger. It's direct, but there's a device that gives the sensation of a bump. I think it's a beautiful object.
MarkTrew

Post by MarkTrew »

I had several of the “two stage” trigger shoes on Kenyon triggers a few years ago and they looked very close to the one pictured. I know mine were original Kenyon triggers as I purchased then direct from Karl. The two were slightly different from each other as he made each one from hand, every time.

Dimensions of the placement of the sear would allow a determination/confirmation which Anschutz model it will fit.
MarkTrew
nicolas G

Post by nicolas G »

I'll give you the dimensions tomorrow.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Bienvenue sur ce forum Nicolas !

I have two Kenyon triggers: the one above is for the 1800-1900 series and the other one below is for the 1400 series:

As you can see, yours is obviously intended to be used on a 1900 serie.
Bob Foth

Post by Bob Foth »

When I moved to the OTC in 1985 and started training full time, it quickly became obvious to me that I needed a different trigger to fit my needs. I got a trigger from Karl, but also wished for a two-stage, which I don't think he made back then. Paul Ha was a club member and had access to a very nice machine shop at work. We worked together and came up with a very fancy version of the one in the OP's post. It actually had 2 SMALL ball bearings for the trigger shoe to pivot smoothly. The upper screw behind it worked on a spring to adjust first stage weight. The lower screw adjusted the length of the first stage and provided a hard stop to shift to second stage (the Kenyon trigger). The "external" first stage was almost completely independent of second stage and gave me the best of both.
I used that trigger to win an Olympic medal in 1992, set several world records, and win numerous other ISSF medals, quota places, etc.
THANK YOU KARL AND PAUL!

Once we had the first stage done, I shared the design with Karl. The ball bearings were over the top, but he incorporated most of the rest of the design into his first stage as an option on later triggers.

FYI, he made triggers for other brands too. The mounting holes and sear location will determine which gun it works for.
nicolas G

Post by nicolas G »

Paul, thank you for the information, so I know that this trigger fits an Anschutz 19 series...

Bob, thanks for the details of the adjustment.
This trigger belonged to Lones WIGGER.
Bob Foth

Post by Bob Foth »

That trigger has some serious mojo!!!
Having Karl work on your gun is like having Yoda work on your light saber!
Having the greatest Olympic shooter of the 20th century use your trigger on top of that???
WOW!
That rifle may not fire unless pointed at the ten ring!
nicolas G

Post by nicolas G »

Good evening Bob,
I'm amazed but also particularly pleased by what you've just told me.
I knew it was a goldsmith's piece.
Have you found the Holy Grail?
I'm currently using an old 1970 KK Walther that I imported from Germany (as far as I know, its best barrels were made between 1969 and 1972). It's as good as new and I'm in the process of modernising it a bit to make it fit my body as well as possible. The barrel is fabulous and is not difficult with the cartridges. It always shoots straight, to my great satisfaction. My friend had told me that Karl's trigger would go on it, but it will not. I know of a very good Anschutz 1913 from the 1990s for sale. I think I'll buy it and I'll be able to fit Karl's trigger on it.
For information, Karl's name was BEAU CHENE KENYON (BEAU CHENE is a French name for one of the most precious trees used to make very, very beautiful furniture).
With many thanks.
Nicolas.
rbsev

Post by rbsev »

trying to attach pictures of Kenyon trigger with two top levers, designed to be used with either series of Anschutz, also will attach instructions for his triggers
Attachments
IMG_3237.jpeg
IMG_3237.jpeg (40.06 KiB) Viewed 14628 times
IMG_3238.jpeg
IMG_3238.jpeg (42.13 KiB) Viewed 14628 times
IMG_3157.jpeg
IMG_3157.jpeg (22.55 KiB) Viewed 14628 times
nicolas G

Post by nicolas G »

Hello rbsev,
Thank you very much for these documents.