Gehmann polarizer

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

alanms

Gehmann polarizer

Post by alanms »

Hello all,
Does anyone have any experience using a gehmann 551?
I’m specifically curious about whether the polarization makes much of a difference in sight picture glare/ quality.

Thanks
justadude

Re: Gehmann polarizer

Post by justadude »

I have messed with polarizers some, many years ago but not specifically the Gehmann 551. I do not currently shoot with one.

Part, or a lot of this is going to depend on the range you are shooting on: If you are on a range that is pretty open to the sky, so that light will predominantly be from one direction, then you might see a difference and be able to find a 'setting' (polarization angle) that does improve the contrast of the sight picture. If you are on a 'safety range' with the series of baffles where you cannot see sky and light is getting bounced off everything and essentially coming from everywhere, a polarizer will probably not be as effective or the effect as noticeable or helpful. If you are on an indoor range, you might be able to kill glare off the floor, if you have any, but I am not optimistic about a polarizer doing much more than making the sight picture a little dim. (Polarizers do cut a fair bit of light)

So, if you are outdoors with sun directly on the targets then it might we worth a try, just to see.(Florida sun can be rather intense) If you are on a baffled range or indoors, I doubt you would find it helpful.

'Dude
alanms

Re: Gehmann polarizer

Post by alanms »

Thank you for the reply.
I am in Florida and the range is outdoor and not baffled.
Sounds like it might be worth a try.
I appreciate the help and information.