Caring for an MG2E

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Gwhite

Re: Caring for an MG2E

Post by Gwhite »

To really clean things, you need to remove the carrier. I would like to make a video on that process, but haven't had the time. If you aren't comfortable dealing with fiddly little mechanical parts, I wouldn't recommend trying it without some guidance.
kqrxbn

Post by kqrxbn »

It I could, I would send you a wrapped chunk of time! Unfortunately it seems to be the most slippery of resources, and it is really hard to pin down. Today I did not have a single of those category-3 sticks (when I need to yank the trigger a bit to reset it) in 800+ dry-fires, so it does not seem to get worse. I think that somewhat supports the dirt theory: it's not something that's worn out and it doesn't get worse by just triggering.

Maybe I'll see if I can sit down with some local person who is comfortable with fiddly mechanical things.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I will try to put together a quick rundown on removing the carrier. I should have some time over the holidays to piece something together, and I already have photos of some of the details. As long as you don't run into anything odd, it's not too tricky.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I've attached a write-up on how to remove the carrier. Hopefully that will help the process go smoothly.

Someday, when the bench with my camera is clean at the same time my carrier is dirty, I will try to make a video.
MG2 Carrier Removal Notes.pdf
(291.34 KiB) Downloaded 103 times
kqrxbn

Post by kqrxbn »

Gwhite wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:33 pm I've attached a write-up on how to remove the carrier. Hopefully that will help the process go smoothly.

Someday, when the bench with my camera is clean at the same time my carrier is dirty, I will try to make a video.

MG2 Carrier Removal Notes.pdf
Wow, that's … comprehensive. It also matches my expectations on Italian engineering 😛 I will see if I dare to do it myself or if I need to ask a friendly gun engineer to have a look at it. Seems like the kind of thing that can easily be done once I've done it the first time.