New to Irises on Front Sights, need help.

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

BrandonM9209

New to Irises on Front Sights, need help.

Post by BrandonM9209 »

Hello to all, I am new to iris apertures for peep sights and I’m curious as to how these work in conjunction. I get the purpose of the adjustable irises on the rear, my questions come in with the use of an iris on the front. I have searched everywhere I could think but not finding what I’m looking. Hopefully you find folks will be able to help me.

I have shot with the Williams Western Precision globe sights with the inserts, just curious as to how an adjustable iris aids the shooter on the front.
JerryJ

Re: New to Irises on Front Sights, need help.

Post by JerryJ »

It allows you to adjust the aperture size for different targets, light conditions, etc.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

The iris also allows you to get exactly the size you want. For example you find a 3.9mm aperture is a little tight in prone, but a 4.0mm looks a little big, with an iris you aren't limited to 0.1mm steps, so say hello to 3.95mm.

A 3P shooter could also adjust the iris between positions.
BrandonM9209

Post by BrandonM9209 »

JerryJ wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:06 pm It allows you to adjust the aperture size for different targets, light conditions, etc.
So the front iris adjusts for lighting conditions? Lower light, bigger aperture; more light, smaller aperture? Just wanting to make sure I’m on the right track. TIA
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

BrandonM9209 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:52 pm
So the front iris adjusts for lighting conditions? Lower light, bigger aperture; more light, smaller aperture? Just wanting to make sure I’m on the right track. TIA
Yes. In brighter light the pale background appears brighter, making the black target appear smaller so the aperture can be slightly smaller. And in lower light the target stands out more, appearing larger needing a larger aperture.

Remember that our brains use the brightness of gap between the foresight and target to aim. We can detect a change in brightness
when the target is off centre the gap is uneven, more easily than we can judge distance.