Older Tanner and Grunig Bedding Pattern

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

lyoke3

Older Tanner and Grunig Bedding Pattern

Post by lyoke3 »

Do the older Tanner rifles have the same two-lug pattern and dimensions as the older Grunig's like the ST200? I have read they are similar in design but wasn't sure how close they were in measurement.

I wanted to get some 300M actions but was curious about what would fit the stocks that I currently have (Grunig).

Thanks!

Lake
New account - locked out of previous account "lyoke2"
maltesers99

Re: Older Tanner and Grunig Bedding Pattern

Post by maltesers99 »

To my knowledge, unfortunately, none of the Tanner actions have the same footprint as Grunigs, including the round Grunig action. ST200 and FT300s are interchangeable in terms of stocks, assuming they all originally came off of a Grunig metal stock, however, ST200s and FT300s that originally came in wooden stocks haven't always had the same aluminium block at the back. ST200s that came on an Anschutz 2313 stock had a slightly modified recoil lug which tapered inwards and were slightly shorter (not sure if FT300s were ever offered with this stock).

Not all round Grunigs are the same either - the very early ones had a recoil lug integrated directly below the action, similar to the very early Tanner/Hammerli era actions, but again, not interchangeable. Later versions from both companies (RE: round Grunig action) had slightly different recoil lugs in the "tombstone" style like the ST200 and FT300, but weren't consistent through the years, especially Tanner.

I hope it's ok to share links to elsewhere, but this GunBroker advert might help you see what Tanners are like: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1008217768
lyoke3

Re: Older Tanner and Grunig Bedding Pattern

Post by lyoke3 »

Great info, thank you!
New account - locked out of previous account "lyoke2"