Front Iris

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

pthatcher

Front Iris

Post by pthatcher »

Need a little guidance. I want to put a Centra front sight iris on my Anschutz M18 sight. Have never used an iris on the front. Not sure what range of aperture sizes to get, they are available in as small as 1.8mm up to 5.9mm. I shoot prone only. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.
bdutton

Re: Front Iris

Post by bdutton »

Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Do you have an extension tube? If yes, I'd think the 3.8-5.8mm would be best (and maybe in 22mm too). For a bare barrel the 2.8-4.8mm seems a good balance.
40xguy

Post by 40xguy »

This can be a complicated question; there are two factors to be considered:
(1) the distance from your REAR sight to the front sight (sight radius) and (2) are you using an eagle eye (diopter or magnifier).
Since you're shooting prone, I'm assuming you're a smallbore shooter. If you would answer 1 and 2 above, I believe you'd get better information for an answer to to your question. Another idea: if you have any friends who do the same type of shooting you're doing, ask to borrow their front sight for five minutes (to put on your rifle) in order to actually see what you come up with. This way you'll not have to buy something and then find out it wasn't the correct size for what you wanted.
Hammer to shape, file to fit, paint to match...
pthatcher

Post by pthatcher »

Thanks for the replies. You provided useful information.