Sad state of affairs

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

rgibson

Sad state of affairs

Post by rgibson »

I just read the post in the Youth Shooting section of TT in which a "highschooler" was asking about places to compete or practice. My first thought was of the banners on websites (i.e. Civilian Marksmanship Program etc.) that warn of California's law prohibiting the "marketing of firearms" to juveniles. Notice that it just says "firearms", not "assault weapons." Then I wondered, who is to blame for such jackassery? The ignorant law-makers in Sacramento? The voters of California? The rest of us for sitting on our hands? Some great Junior shooters have come from the State of California. The award-winning California Grizzlies jump to mind. Our sport will continue to slide into oblivion while we sit on our hands and tell others that "those laws won't affect us." Remember the old saying; "as California goes, so goes the Nation." We need to continue to educate our youth in firearms safety and marksmanship. Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!
PeeWeeDaddy

Re: Sad state of affairs

Post by PeeWeeDaddy »

It has been my experience that most working men do not vote in the Republik of Kalifornia.
Nor do they vote in Arizona.
The stay at home wives (are there any?) fill out the ballot and sign it.
No?
Years ago Janet Napolitano was elected governor of Arizona.
The most anti-gun woman in the United States.
How could that happen in Arizona?
I am waiting..
"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement."
SuperIIFT

Post by SuperIIFT »

Pee
Thank you
I am 80 and have ALWAYS voted and I live in AZ
D
6string

Post by 6string »

In a way, we (collectively speaking) are our own worst enemy.
Consider the types of shooting ranges in this country. How many of them are set up for serious target shooting, let alone even conducive to productive practice? The vast majority are set up to accomodate the “spray & pray” blasters. Many of these ranges do not even promote safe handling of firearms. (It’s mostly just a bunch of idiots pumping 9mms at a silhouette target 10ft away, proclaiming “Good enough to hit the bad guy!”, all while muzzle-sweeping their buddies on the line.)
Target shooting, like the vast majority of endeavors requiring the expenditure of dedication, thought, and/or skill, have been replaced by the easy, instant gratification equivalents afforded by a society obsessed with pop culture. As someone who has spent over 30 years teaching in so-called “higher education”, this all consuming trend is frightening!

PS: Did anybody notice how poorly the US, a nation of handgun owners, did in 50M pistol in the recent ISSF games? 2nd and 3rd last place!
Good enough to hit the bad guy indeed! 🫤
PeeWeeDaddy

Post by PeeWeeDaddy »

SuperIIFT wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:00 am Pee
Thank you
I am 80 and have ALWAYS voted and I live in AZ
D

That’s one!
"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement."
kqrxbn

Post by kqrxbn »

6string wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:04 pm In a way, we (collectively speaking) are our own worst enemy.
Consider the types of shooting ranges in this country. How many of them are set up for serious target shooting, let alone even conducive to productive practice? The vast majority are set up to accomodate the “spray & pray” blasters. Many of these ranges do not even promote safe handling of firearms. (It’s mostly just a bunch of idiots pumping 9mms at a silhouette target 10ft away, proclaiming “Good enough to hit the bad guy!”, all while muzzle-sweeping their buddies on the line.)
Target shooting, like the vast majority of endeavors requiring the expenditure of dedication, thought, and/or skill, have been replaced by the easy, instant gratification equivalents afforded by a society obsessed with pop culture. As someone who has spent over 30 years teaching in so-called “higher education”, this all consuming trend is frightening!

PS: Did anybody notice how poorly the US, a nation of handgun owners, did in 50M pistol in the recent ISSF games? 2nd and 3rd last place!
Good enough to hit the bad guy indeed! 🫤
That's funny. In my European nation, it is the opposite: a shooting range is typically a place where there are target stands at 25 metres and where doing any kind of "fun" shooting is forbidden, discouraged or frowned upon. We would maybe instead need a bit more of that, although I do prefer it's done safely. (It's not that easy to get thrown out of a gun club here once one becomes a member, but pointing guns anywhere but down range is one way to have that happen!)
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

Funny; I consider everyone who is satisfied with a “minute of man” sized group as part of the spray and pray crowd. Ranges that cater to that crowd are apparently followers of capitalism. 6string is correct that we are to blame. We let the anti-gun legislators and parents remove Smallbore programs from high schools. That put a serious crimp in Smallbore Rifle disciplines. When you don’t train youth the value of accuracy and the joy of achieving it you get the “minute of man” result.
mikeb1

Post by mikeb1 »

I know I have said it before, but us rifle shooters are our own worst enemy when it comes to attracting new shooters. To be competitive at anything above 'a couple of mates getting together on the range to shoot' level in our matches you have to buy all the jackets, pants etc. This gets even worse with juniors as they outgrow a shooting suit every few years........driving them (and their parents) away with costs doesn't do us any favors.
alpineboard

Post by alpineboard »

I am a life time smallbore and air rifle shooter. My local club area has zero interest in this sport, for 30 years now, I have tried to promote it, in many ways, keep it simple to start. But you can not make any one have an interest in something. You do not need all the gear, just acquire it as is appropriate.
My answer to the shooting sports situation has been with Air Rifle, with an at home 10 meter, and outdoor longer distance range. Have been training 7 days a week for 18 months strait now. My son joins me often.
There are many other very competitive clubs that really have their act together, but unfortunately, the hours driving distance is too far.
The strange part to all this is that an Air Rifle program would be so easy to start, as compared to rimfire smallbore. But as I repeat, zero interest equals zero interest. Thanks for listening. R
alpineboard

Post by alpineboard »

After re reading the X Count post here, there is still hope out there.
https://www.midwayusafoundation.org/
Potterfield, Friends of NRA
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

I used to partner with another NRA Rifle Instructor who was conducting 9-week Basic Rifle courses for Juniors. I ran the range and scooped up Juniors that were interested in the NRA Marksmanship Qualification Program. Now I am recruiting from the Gun Club to which I belong. It is tough finding any people who will sling up and shoot 3-P or 4-P. I usually have 3-5 at any given time. As I said before, the gun haters dealt us a serious blow destroying school smallbore marksmanship programs. I also run a week-long Rifle Summer Camp and get 6-8 Athletes. It is hard work but it is worth it. One of our Juniors, age 14, made the cut to attend the Junior Olympics at the OTC in C.S. last April shooting 50m Smallbore. I still shoot matches but coaching Juniors adds to my enjoyment of the sport.