Hammerli 208s - problem with a trigger pull weight consistency

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
cnnhead

Hammerli 208s - problem with a trigger pull weight consistency

Post by cnnhead »

Some time ago I purchased a Hammerli 208s in a reasonably good condition (1989). The problem is the trigger pull weight. In theory it is set around 1050-1100g and it usually holds it but not always.
When I check it with a standard ISSF 1000g test weight (vertical position procedure) it sometimes holds the weight firmly (with an obvious margin), sometimes barely and sometimes breaks before even lifting the test weight. Situation can change between consecutive attempts, e.g. it can fail the test 5 times in a row and then the trigger starts keeping its 1000+g weight automagically.

According to the manual I can set the the trigger weight using two screws designated as:
#1 (pull weight) - the screw was a bit loose, I thought that was the problem. I secured it with Loctite 222. It holds nicely now but it didn't improve anything actually
#3 (slack weight) - the screw holds very tightly I didn't change anything here

It is a real fun to shoot this gun and I was thinking about using it in competitions but perspective of being disqualified because of the trigger pull weight is somewhat daunting. I'd appreciate any ideas, I don't want to give up yet.
Gwhite

Re: Hammerli 208s - problem with a trigger pull weight consistency

Post by Gwhite »

The first thing that comes to mind is that the sear engagement may be marginal. A little bit of wear & dirt could make it erratic. It certainly wouldn't hurt to clean & lubricate everything carefully.

Although it usually causes erratic increases in trigger pull, I'd also check the trigger stop.
j-team

Post by j-team »

Gwhite wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:54 am
... I'd also check the trigger stop.
Agree with that, trigger stop might be too close.
cnnhead

Post by cnnhead »

Thanks a lot for you insight. The sear engagement is clean and it works crisply but everything is rather dry so I'm gonna lube it slightly and see if it helps.

I don't understand the concern about a trigger stop. It cannot be too close because then it halts a trigger shoe before engaging the sear. No shooting in that case.
On the other hand if it is too far then I get a one stage trigger because a trigger won't reach that springy thingy inside a trigger stop housing that is responsible for a second stage trigger pull (actually a total trigger pull weight).
So, how the trigger stop should be set correctly?
gn303

Post by gn303 »

Be careful with lubing the trigger. Hammerlï is not fond of grease on the sear engagement. I would rather suggest to make sure there is no grease or lube on the sear.
About the trigger stop:I would advice to turn the stop to the point where the trigger doesn't go off and then turn 1/2 a turn back.
Good luck!
6string

Post by 6string »

If you go to the website fir our host, Pilkguns, you can get to the “Ten Philes” of essential info. (That should be everyone’s first stop when looking for info on specific target pistols.). Go to Hämmerli, then 208s.
There is a care and cleaning page by Ed Hall. It’s a “must read” for Hämmerli 208 owners.

Here’s the link.

https://starreloaders.com/edhall/hammerli208sca.html
gn303

Post by gn303 »

Thank you for the link. Btw. it says "emphasized that oil must NOT be allowed into the hammer/sear region as this will wash away the special Moly lubrication "