Shooting Coat Materials

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Vincent10

Shooting Coat Materials

Post by Vincent10 »

I am getting back into 10m air rifle and interested in an ISSF/ISU jacket and pant set. For standing position is there an advantage to leather, canvas, or a combination of the two?

Thanks,
Vincent
Tim S

Re: Shooting Coat Materials

Post by Tim S »

Vincent,

For a first time buyer I'd suggest canvas. Leather looks very smart, and moulds to your body more quickly than canvas, but you pay a premium. You'll pay less for a canvas jacket of similar design. Canvas is also stiffer; leather jackets are all lined with canvas to prevent stretching.

Good quality canvas jackets all have extensive leather sections around the neck and shoulders, both for comfort and ease of movement.
bdutton

Post by bdutton »

New more modern material is available but more expensive than the canvas/Leather options. I have a Capapie suit and absolutely love it. I got lucky and bought a well fitting 'off the shelf' jacket and pants when they were introduced in the US when I was at Camp Perry.

It stays stiffer longer and if you get a custom suit, it will cost more but will last you much longer and fit better then any canvas or leather options available.
Vincent10

Post by Vincent10 »

I appreciate the advice. I'll look into the brand you mentioned and similar products.
Thanks!
Richard144

Post by Richard144 »

Over the years i have ended up with 5 different jackets. Leather is nice but it is heavy and it can be hot too. I currently use a cheaper jacket just made of fabric and it seems to give me enough support. Some shooting jackets (and Suits) are a combination of materials. Check out Champions Choice gear. it's not the best of the best but it works for me and won't break the bank.
Rick B.
Richard144

Post by Richard144 »

Over the years i have ended up with 5 different jackets. Leather is nice but it is heavy and it can be hot too. I currently use a cheaper jacket just made of fabric and it seems to give me enough support. Some shooting jackets (and Suits) are a combination of materials. Check out Champions Choice gear. it's not the best of the best but it works for me and won't break the bank.
Rick B.