Shaking things up, escaping ruts, quantity training — how to stay motivated?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

kqrxbn

Shaking things up, escaping ruts, quantity training — how to stay motivated?

Post by kqrxbn »

I would be interested in hearing some ideas on how to shake things up when it feels like you are a bit stuck in a rut. Recently, I have been working on a set of problems (the details of which I will omit in order to stay focussed on the broader topic) and have felt that I know what I need to get better on to get further, but it has been hard to understand how to do that. I don't know if you have ever had the feeling that you keep doing the same mistake, but that is what I have been feeling. There are at least two aspects of it: first of all you need to figure out how to identify and isolate the thing you need to practice and then—and this may be more important—you need to find the motivation to grind through the hard work required to actually do it. The reason it may be a bit of a grind is that the actual results typically suffer for a bit and it can take a relatively long time until you get a positive outcome, and during that time you will be doubting, always doubting: "I am just getting worse" — "am I wasting my time?" — "what is the point of all this?" — …

I have spoken IRL to a few fellow sports people who have looked at what I am doing and they seem to be in agreement that the current focus area seems about right, and I just need to keep working on what I am working on. Thousands or tens of thousands of repetitions, paying attention to getting them right much more often than not. Okay, great. But how do I stay motivated and engaged? What kind of games can I invent for myself to break it up, insert some variation / novelty and make it (stay) fun? Not all of the things that have worked for you may work for me, but I am sure you have good ideas that are worth considering. Let me hear them! (And, since this is the Internet: do not forget to tell me if I am wrong in any way! ;))
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Re: Shaking things up, escaping ruts, quantity training — how to stay motivated?

Post by atomicgale »

kqrxbn wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:52 am (And, since this is the Internet: do not forget to tell me if I am wrong in any way! ;))
Oh, we will . . . welcome to Target Talk.

Rover, calling Rover . . . your input is needed in the Shooter's Lounge department.
kqrxbn

Re: Shaking things up, escaping ruts, quantity training — how to stay motivated?

Post by kqrxbn »

atomicgale wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:35 am
kqrxbn wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:52 am (And, since this is the Internet: do not forget to tell me if I am wrong in any way! ;))
Oh, we will . . . welcome to Target Talk.

Rover, calling Rover . . . your input is needed in the Shooter's Lounge department.
Do not forget to tell me what your strategies are to mix things up, though. My errors are many, so if we dwell on only those we will be here all day and night!
Rover

Post by Rover »

Since you ask: I was training with John Zurek one day. The point was to shoot ONLY eights.
kqrxbn

Post by kqrxbn »

Rover wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:56 am Since you ask: I was training with John Zurek one day. The point was to shoot ONLY eights.
That is a good idea! Evenly spread throughout the ring? A while back when I felt that I still wanted to aim at a regular target (because one of the issues I was working on then was that I was constantly thinking: "is this the right spot?") but wanted to take my mind of actual points for a while, I turned the screws a large number of random clicks back and forth while not looking, and then aimed as usual. I then shot a lot of targets with the group at 2 o'clock in the fourth ring, just caring about the group size of the individual target. I then discovered that I converged after a while to a slightly different area of aim, so the constant doubting before was maybe because the previous area was not—for whatever reason—intuitive for me.
kqrxbn

Post by kqrxbn »

Not as much feedback as I had imagined. Do my fellow shooters never find themselves stuck? 😃
alpineboard

Post by alpineboard »

After 12 months of Standing air rifle, 5 to 7 evenings a week. No television, get rid of your television, tv is bad, tv keeps you from shooting, the only thing you want to do or think is shoot/or train for shooting, which may include bicycling, or hardboot race snowboarding.
So after a full year of 10 meter AR, I found out about Long Distance Air Rifle, 50 yards and 100 yards, and can say now after 4 months of 5 to 7 eves a week, have got to a really good level with it, that getting back to 10 meter AR will be a good thing. Thinking is that this outdoor AR 50, 100 yards is a little bit more difficult than 10 meter. Will find out soon enough.
So if you find yourself in a rut , try something different, but try to keep it some what related to shooting or physical fitness, with in the back of your mind thinking, yes this is all because of shooting, and when you do get back to shooting, you will enjoy it again.
This is IMO, of mixing it up.
alpineboard

Post by alpineboard »

Just remembered what I did last winter, I was mildly in your position, but was still shooting plenty. I knew , just hang in there, keep training and it will eventually happen.
But what I did was put a scope on my air rifle, this was a swap from iron to scope, I had learned how to shoot scope/standing due to league shooting at a semi early life stage. It takes some work/seasons to get good at it.
I did a few months using the scope on the AR, and then went back to Iron.
Key point here is with using a scope, you tend to be too particular, trying to be too perfect,because you see everything so well and that messes with your trigger release timing.
So going back to iron, get lined up and let it go.
The point here is, try a scope, it may be a mix it up answer.
One good point to training with a scope, imo, it does make you a bit more steadier Offhand. 18x , or 20x works well at 50 feet, if you get into scope for an AR, make sure it is able to focus at 10 meters.
Ramon OP

Post by Ramon OP »

Ramon
kqrxbn

Post by kqrxbn »

Thanks, alpineboard, for your thoughts. What you describe is a bit of a variation of what I've done: although I "actually" shoot precision, I've started shooting almost only 20-second standard pistol in training. That makes me more forgiving of myself, because it's not really what I've trained on — that means it's easier to remember when I'm doing well and forget when I'm not. And at the same time, if I shoot well in 20 seconds then I should be able to shoot well in 300, so it's all good.

Ramon, it's a good point! I'm working on it, but it seems like finding a coach in my vicinity is tricky. I've reached out to a few shooters who are much better than I am, and will see what I can manage to arrange.
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

A good online coach is Dina Aspandiyarova who has been referred to on TT over recent years. She is based in Australia but is accustomed to online coaching so it doesn’t really matter where you are. Her rates are very competitive and her coaching is not expensive to start and see how you go. Ten meter AP is her thing. Her portal is her FaceBook page so just drop her name in the search bar and away you go (there aren’t too many Dina Aspandiyarovas on FB).

Bob
kqrxbn

Post by kqrxbn »

Thanks, Bob! Have never considered an online coach but it's possible it could work.
David M

Post by David M »

I would interrupt serious Olympic training (Free and Air, usually 4-5 times a week and boring as hell) every now and then with a day shooting Blackpowder just for the fun of it.
Dry fire...cap did not go off.
Sight picture...lots of smoke.
Hold...shoot 50m with a .44
Follow through...shoot the Flintlock.
Frustration breaker...more powder.
kqrxbn

Post by kqrxbn »

I must say I don't find my training boring at all. I often itch to do another training session with my good old air pistol. I am very bad at doing things that are boring (some may say I lack a work ethic completely; I'm lazy!), so if I had felt boredom I would not be able to do it. With that said, it is fun to just shoot for fun! I am currently trying to get in touch with a club that has a shooting range with a few bays where one can do a bit more of that fun type of shooting, as it happens.
Ramon OP

Post by Ramon OP »

kqrxbn wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:55 am Ramon, it's a good point! I'm working on it, but it seems like finding a coach in my vicinity is tricky. I've reached out to a few shooters who are much better than I am, and will see what I can manage to arrange.
Finding a coach is tricky almost everywhere in the planet :) And it sucks
Ramon
kqrxbn

Post by kqrxbn »

Ramon OP wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:21 am
kqrxbn wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:55 am Ramon, it's a good point! I'm working on it, but it seems like finding a coach in my vicinity is tricky. I've reached out to a few shooters who are much better than I am, and will see what I can manage to arrange.
Finding a coach is tricky almost everywhere in the planet :) And it sucks
Phew, happy to hear it is not my remote hinterland then! Tomorrow (Sunday) I will train together with another shooter who is also seriously interested in getting better and who has taught me a few things in the past (and I him). Our idea is that we will train once a week (we live about 1 hour from each other, so with family commitments etc it is hard to get it to happen more often). Not sure exactly how we will structure it, but the idea is that we will do a bit of "individual training", some mutual coaching and then maybe top it off with some kind of little match. There are a few others who may be interested too, so it could grow into a bit of a team, which could be nice. The idea is to help each other, celebrate each others successes and compete together.

Speaking of shaking things up, I have been seeking a solution to a few problems lately and even though I am trying hard not to get frustrated I did get a bit mad with myself today. I managed to channel that frustration into mental focus and did something subtly different, and before I ran out of air I shot three 5-shot series: 50, 49, 50. Pretty good finale. I will try to get angry next time I need it 😛
Ramon OP

Post by Ramon OP »

Great stuff. Good luck ☺
Ramon
JCR

Post by JCR »

Hammerli AP20 Pro
RWS Basic
Sius electronic target
M45
kqrxbn

Post by kqrxbn »

Ramon OP wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:45 am Great stuff. Good luck ☺
Thank you, Ramon! The struggle continues!
JCR wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:17 pm 532
Hammerli AP20 Pro
RWS Basic
Sius electronic target
M45
Keep shooting 😃

Went to the range today to shoot a bit with my brand new MG2E. Still figuring out which ammo it seems to like best. It is very nice to shoot with, but the handling is a bit different and I'm still standing there confused sometimes. Looking forward to shooting more with it soon, whenever I can find the time.
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

David M wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:18 pm I would interrupt serious Olympic training (Free and Air, usually 4-5 times a week and boring as hell) every now and then with a day shooting Blackpowder just for the fun of it.
Dry fire...cap did not go off.
Sight picture...lots of smoke.
Hold...shoot 50m with a .44
Follow through...shoot the Flintlock.
Frustration breaker...more powder.
The problem is when you're shooting black powder as your competition guns. :-)