10m air pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
PaulC

10m air pistol

Post by PaulC »

Hello,
Live sex cams have also helped me become more comfortable with my own body and sexuality, as I see people of all shapes, sizes, and genders embracing their bodies and desires on screen.
https://ebonycamlive.net/french
https://livecamcouple.net/hard
https://thegaycamchat.com/chat/aladino_ms
Last edited by PaulC on Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
kqrxbn

Re: 10m air pistol

Post by kqrxbn »

There are several things going on at once: the sights must be aligned while the pistol must point at your aiming point (or within your aiming area). Then, of course, you must also trigger the shot. When you fire against a blank wall, you can ignore one of those things, which makes it much easier. The goal (I presume!) is to practice enough that these processes become more or less automatic: you stay within (or return quickly to) your aiming area, you keep the sights aligned and you trigger smoothly — all of these things at the same time, without conscious thought.

You do not say in what way it goes wrong. It is probably easier to keep the sights aligned than to hold still at your point of aim (which is impossible; there is always some movement). More feedback may be possible if you explain your problem in a bit more detail.
PirateJohn

Post by PirateJohn »

PaulC wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:07 am Hello,
Very new to 10m air pistol - 3 months, IZH 48M - and I find I can hold the sights aligned fine against a blank wall, but as soon as there's a target there it all goes wrong.
Does anyone have any tips?
Thanks in advance.
You're likely looking at the target and losing your focus on the front sight. It's a common mistake, and not one that is easy to overcome. Doing a lot more blank-wall dryfires and shooting pellets at a blank target will help you with this. I do about 300 blank-wall dry fires a day and shoot 50 pellets at a blank target and am only recently getting to the point where I don't let the target distract me.

Also, really focusing on your follow-through, both during dry fires and when shooting on a target, can help with this. It forces you to concentrate on the sights throughout the shot process because your attention is focused on making sure the sights don't move.
Last edited by PirateJohn on Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Having proper glasses can help keep your focus on the front sight. Depending on you current visual setup (good eyes?, contact lenses?, glasses?), there are a number of options. Basically, you want to add +0.75 Diopters of correction to your shooting eye to bring your relaxed focus closer to the front sight. That makes it easier to stay focused on the sight, and much harder to look at the target.

The recommended sight picture looks like this:
Air-Pistol Target w Sights w Arrows (sm).jpg
Air-Pistol Target w Sights w Arrows (sm).jpg (13.7 KiB) Viewed 13718 times
The space between the bottom of the black should be roughly equal to the gaps on the sides of the front sight.
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

A number of years ago I created progressive position pistol for my kids. It's best way to get to see the the sight alignment in relationship to the target from a rest at first, this will give a new shooter an idea of what to look for, then progress to a standing free hand position. Of course this is necessary for young shooters with little or no developed arm strength . It will also work for adults who are just starting out. The image above is fine but there are other methods like six o'clock hold or center hold. For some center hold is more simplistic and has provided world record results.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Yes, you can shoot exceptionally well with all sorts of holds, IF you practice it enough. The symmetrical gap hold shown above is a relatively new tweak on the sub-six/area hold, and I first learned of it at a coaching clinic at the Olympic Training Center about 10 years ago. It is also recommended in the MEC book on Olympic pistol shooting. We've been teaching it to new shooters for 10 years at the college where I coach, and it works very well to get people started. They can try other things later, but throwing in six-o'clock and center hold options to a beginner only confuses them.

The advantage of the three equal distance arrangement is that it has a lot of symmetry, which the brain & visual system are very good at recognizing. With training, you can view this symmetrical pattern as ONE entity, and not three separate pieces. You train your subconscious muscle movement to try to achieve and maintain that pattern, instead of thinking about and trying to move all the pieces individually. The difference is subtle, but when you can get it to work, it offloads the brain a bit.
mus

Post by mus »

As I'm also still quite new to this air pistol scene I can confirm that Gwhite's post is spot on, with one not so small elaboration: keeping the front sight centered and level in the rear sight and the area of aim small at the same time is nearly impossible - at least not to an untalented novice like myself.

Personally I'm focussing on improving sight alignment and good trigger control over aiming area reduction.

But as we all know the road to shooting stardom is long and hard.
(And in my case travelled too late in life...)
David M

Post by David M »

Only one minor change to the sight picture, because your eye likes to see symmetrical things,
make the foresight appear as a square.
Here is a sub 6 o'clock hold sight picture with a square foresight,
1 1/2 to 1 ratio rear sight to foresight and at 70% width of target black.
sight 70%.jpg
sight 70%.jpg (11.26 KiB) Viewed 13501 times
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

The general recommendation I've seen and taught is that the width of the front sight should roughly match the width of the black (more symmetry). I haven't seen the recommendation to have the depth of the rear notch set to give you a square front sight, but it couldn't hurt. I can't ever recall even being aware of the notch depth on any of my pistols. I'm too busy concentrating on what happening at the top...
Grippy

Post by Grippy »

I found for my air pistol having a front sight the width of the black makes it hard for me to observe both side gaps simultaneously causing me to focus on the left one and breaking the symmetry of the picture. Also this approach doesn't work for the 25m precision targets where the front sight would have to be hilariously wide.
David M

Post by David M »

Try this, without my rear sight and when my eye wants to see a square.
Sight Square.jpg
Sight Square.jpg (22.78 KiB) Viewed 13386 times
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

Not sure I follow David. What are the front sights' heights related to. There must be a rear sight “floor” there somewhere.

Bob
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

One problem with the square front sight approach is that it requires a fairly deep rear notch. Depending on how "sub" your sub-six hold is, you may find that the bottom of the target is visible in the notch on both sides of the front sight. I ran into this on one pistol a year or two ago, and I found it very distracting.
David M

Post by David M »

With the front sight set up as a square when in the aligned position and the focus is sharp, then you don't really need the rear sight.
If you see a vertical rectangle then the gun is pointing HIGH.
If you see a squashed square the gun is pointing LOW.
If your eye sees a square the sight are in line.
The subconscious will find the square very easy, even with the rear sight blurred.
Helps make the shooting easier.
PirateJohn

Post by PirateJohn »

I find as I shoot more, the perfect sight picture isn't so much something I see as it is something I feel