Free Pistol Shorter Front Sight

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
tedmosby7

Free Pistol Shorter Front Sight

Post by tedmosby7 »

For those of that don't or can't drop the wrist as far for the Free Pistol, like a TOZ. Do you just cut the front sight height to where it naturally sits went you grip? The grip fits well and it seems easier to modify the front sight.

TIA
BobGee

Re: Free Pistol Shorter Front Sight

Post by BobGee »

If you ONLY trim the front sight, your shots will be high. If you then lower the rear sight to get your shots back on track, you will be back where you started. Remember that the barrel (axis) and front and rear sight act as a unit. If it's a grip position issue, see if you can alter the grip angle by re-bedding the frame within the grip. Depending on your pistol, this will require some degree of chisel, Dremel and bedding compound work.

Bob
tedmosby7

Post by tedmosby7 »

Good point! Didn't of it that way... Looks like I have some grip work to do.
Rover

Post by Rover »

"Looks like I have some grip work to do."

Yep!
Dagpistol

Post by Dagpistol »

When it came to adding any compound to my Morini’s grip I chickened out, or perhaps exercised caution, and used Blu-Tac to model the amount needed before photographing what I had done before stripping it off.
I would like to say I then made an excellent job of modelling the grip with Milliput but sold the pistol almost immediately when offered an Evo 10E.
I have yet to get round to altering anything on the Steyr’s grip but would do it again using Blu-Tac although I might try covering the grip with cling film first.
Jim
Grippy

Post by Grippy »

Grips are consumables in a sense. Having a fancy competition gun without a customized grip is like wearing glasses without a prescription.

Admittedly manufacturers don't help with this by doing things like colorful laminated grips that look like crap when adding material.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Not fitting grips is almost as stupid as buying fancy expensive "custom" grips that don't perfectly fit.

Putty 'em up; no one's looking at your damn grips.

Of course, if you're a Farklemeister then it's expected that the grips are glitzy.
Dmaryakh

Post by Dmaryakh »

Can always use a high quality colored grip compounds like this one https://sportshootingdepot.com/product/mec-compound/
Grippy

Post by Grippy »

I was mostly thinking of the multicolor laminated ones Walther likes to ship recently. There is just no way to make them look coherent once you modify them. With a walnut grip you can at least make it look somewhat consistent with the right color of two component wood filler.
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

+ 1

Bob
lwy.todd.lu

Post by lwy.todd.lu »

BobGee wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:31 pm If you ONLY trim the front sight, your shots will be high. If you then lower the rear sight to get your shots back on track, you will be back where you started. Remember that the barrel (axis) and front and rear sight act as a unit. If it's a grip position issue, see if you can alter the grip angle by re-bedding the frame within the grip. Depending on your pistol, this will require some degree of chisel, Dremel and bedding compound work.

Bob
Hey Bob, you are here. What putty do you use? I’ve been using JB Weld Kwikwood similar to Selleys Knead it sold at Bunnings. It works fab~ but I bought some recently and found the ingredients might be changed. It’s softer and less dense, not as good as usual.
lyoke3

Post by lyoke3 »

[/quote]

Hey Bob, you are here. What putty do you use? I’ve been using JB Weld Kwikwood similar to Selleys Knead it sold at Bunnings. It works fab~ but I bought some recently and found the ingredients might be changed. It’s softer and less dense, not as good as usual.
[/quote]

The new kwikwood compound is not as good as the old stuff.

I have been using this with a lot more success: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VPO0R8?ps ... ct_details

It is similar to the old kwikwood compound.
New account - locked out of previous account "lyoke2"
lwy.todd.lu

Post by lwy.todd.lu »

Oh you found the same that the new Kwikwood is not as good as the old. Cool, seems like not just me.
I’ll give that Quickwood a try. Thanks for that.
javaduke

Post by javaduke »

Here's a little trick that works for me. Instead of applying the putty directly to the grip, I first cover the area that I'm going to build up with a thin masking tape, and then apply the putty to the tape. It holds pretty well, doesn't move at all, but is easy to remove and leave the grip in its pristine condition.
I use Sugru, it comes in a bunch of different colors and is very easy to work with: https://www.amazon.com/Sugru-I000952-Mo ... B089WH4K6M
Dmaryakh

Post by Dmaryakh »

Another option is to use a Silicone Grip putty from Rink - it holds well but can be peeled away if needed without leaving any residue. This putty sets very quickly (~2 minutes) and it is brown so not sticking out much when applied to the walnut grip.

https://sportshootingdepot.com/product/ ... -silicone/
lwy.todd.lu

Post by lwy.todd.lu »

Thanks guys for all the choices.
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

Since you ask Todd (lwy.todd.lu), I've used Kwikwood and Selleys Plastic Wood Filler Cement. I prefer the former but a bit alarmed to find that it has changed. Will try the Quikwood stuff from Amazon next time I need to buy some (I still have a stash of Kwikwood).

Bob
lwy.todd.lu

Post by lwy.todd.lu »

Seems like I got lucky used the right product at the first place.
The new Kwikwood has a little bit longer work time and less density which I’m not sure if it’s a good thing or bad. The bad aspect is that the finish and the solidity is not supreme as the old one. But the good thing is that the weight feels lighter.
Anyway, I’ll get some Quickwood as replacement.

PS: tried Selleys Knead it. A little bit too epoxy and rubbery feeling. But good quality once it’s cured. The finish is very subtle. But one thing I don’t like is the colour which is light grey.
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

lwy.todd.lu wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:23 am PS: tried Selleys Knead it. A little bit too epoxy and rubbery feeling. But good quality once it’s cured. The finish is very subtle. But one thing I don’t like is the colour which is light grey.
Hi Todd, if you review some of the YouTube clips of the elite shooters, you'll see that nobody worries about the colour of their filler - often plain white.

Bob
lwy.todd.lu

Post by lwy.todd.lu »

Ha~ true~
I’ve just had another look at the cured selleys. It feels harder and very fine. Filing and sanding is a bit harder then Kwikwood.