What's the point of the triggerstop setting?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Grippy

What's the point of the triggerstop setting?

Post by Grippy »

Even with over two decades of experience I don't know what the triggerstop feature is supposed to accomplish. I asked multiple knowledgeable people over the years and most either just shrug or explain what it does. But never why you would want it. The main tidbit people know about the setting is that "setting it too close is dangerous and can lead to malfunctions". Not once have I heard someone say "I improved my trigger by adjusting the triggerstop".

Any halfway modern match pistols, especially air pistols, have a trigger that basically doesn't move at release. The electronic ones on principle and mechanical ones thanks to design. So with proper trigger technique you are never reaching the trigger stop unless you keep pulling and by that time the shot is long gone. If you jerk it you can maybe get there. But then reaching a hard stop and maximizing the force transferred to the pistol is surely the exact opposite of what you want?

What am I missing here? My current working theory is that manufacturers ran out of meaningful features to advertise and just added this vestigial screw. And then everyone had to have it because you can't have less features than someone else.
David M

Re: What's the point of the triggerstop setting?

Post by David M »

Trigger stop comes into play with rapidfire quick shots/ re-sets.
It should never be set too fine as an accelerated shot will hit the stop on pull the shot off line.
But properly set it will allow a short travel and quick re-set for the next shot.
It limits the after travel caused by sear release reduction of trigger weight.
Very useful for heavier triggers and double action guns. Not needed for single shot precision
pistols,
rmca

Post by rmca »

For me the trigger stop is important on mechanical triggers, because you loose weight when the sear breaks the engagement with the hammer/striker.
This allows the 500g or 1000g of force that the trigger is putting back in your finger (resisting it), to disappear, causing you to jerk it.
Yes, there is a moment when the trigger breaks and before you hit the stop, where there isn't as much weight, but a close enough trigger stop setting makes it almost imperceptible. This is very important for follow trough.
It is something that helps you shoot better.
Like all settings, it only helps if you do your part...

And by the way:
I improved my triggers by adjusting the trigger stop! :)

Hope this helps
rmca
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

Some guns really need it imo. If the trigger collapses after breaking, I like to arrest the rearward motion before it picks up speed and then stops. On a trigger that doesn't collapse, especially one with a well lubed sear, the trigger just breaks and is still held from rearward travel by the same springs that provide the required trigger pull weight prior to sear release.

I trigger like a Toz35 just breaks and has no further travel unless jerked , is an example of not required.
A 1911 is an example of a design that a trigger stop does help imo. Some designs have another 5mm of travel after sear release. I shoot better by stopping that movement sooner than later.

When I have one, I set it to break and then add another 1/16 of a turn out.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Over time, you have to keep an eye out for problems if you set them close and the trigger parts wear. After about 20,000 rounds, my Matchgun MG2 started refusing to fire last week. I had to back the trigger stop out almost a quarter of a turn before I got back to a tiny (but perceptible) amount of after travel.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

It help you not notice that when the shot breaks, you can detect the overtravel much more easily than the change in pressure.
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

JamesH wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:50 am It help you not notice that when the shot breaks, you can detect the overtravel much more easily than the change in pressure.
+1

Bob
Grippy

Post by Grippy »

Thanks everyone for the answers.

So I feel justified in my impression that it is a somewhat vestigial feature on single shot air pistols. I hadn't considered the rapid fire aspect. I guess I'll have to do some experimentation on my SP.