new airpistol in luggage

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

von

new airpistol in luggage

Post by von »

Is there any problem withbringing newly purchased air pistol in box with receipt in your checked luggage
europe to U.S.A.? thanks for advice Von
Mike M.

Re: new airpistol in luggage

Post by Mike M. »

Declare it when you check the bag. Ask for a firearm card, which will go inside. It will need to be in a hard-sided locking case. On arrival in the USA, declare it to Customs. You should not have any trouble, but expect to wait a bit while they figure things out.
von

Post by von »

Thanks ,Mike Looks like I'll be getting a new case too and hopefully thats all I need . Bon Voyage!
j-team

Post by j-team »

The air cylinders might cause more problem than the pistol itself.
PirateJohn

Post by PirateJohn »

You will need to empty the air cylinder, and from what I understand, you might not be able to bring a spare cylinder, but others will correct me if I'm wrong.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Only if you're headed to the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs.

From what I hear, they have a real asshole there.
SPPcoach

Post by SPPcoach »

Rover wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:20 pm Only if you're headed to the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs.
From what I hear, they have a real asshole there.
The TSA procedure is 👀
Getting into COS is easy. Just pick up your bag off the baggage carousel.
Getting out with an air pistol is more difficult than with a firearm.
When departing at the airline counter, declare the air pistol as a firearm. When you go to the TSA inspection line they will visually inspect to see that your cylinders are empty. Even 500 PSI gets a reprimand on the 'danger of compressed air.' Don't argue with the enforcers of the fiefdom. It won't be productive. You will be asked if you are on the "athlete list" of departing OTC athletes. If you competed at the OTC, then you 'should' have been given the chance to sign up with the TSA list. If you are on their list, then you are on your way.
If not, expect more 'help' from the government safety bureau.
von

Post by von »

Thanks all for good advice . Iguess K.I.S.S. doesn't apply here!
David M

Post by David M »

My solution some years ago for travelling after ever thing went stupid (9/11) while going to World Cups was to make the pin spanners needed to remove the tank end caps. TSA had no problem with what was now a tube.
I just took the spanner, some o rings and lube, and put them together on the range.