ISSF Rule 7.4.1.5 - Barrels

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Ranger Steve

ISSF Rule 7.4.1.5 - Barrels

Post by Ranger Steve »

ISSF Rule:

"Barrels and extension tubes must not be perforated in any way. Compensators
and muzzle breaks on the rifle are prohibited. Any construction or device inside
the barrel or tube,
other than rifling and chambering for the cartridge or pellet,
is prohibited. Extension tubes must be inspected by Equipment Control when
the athlete attends, either for pre-competition or re-checks."

Can someone shed any light as to why this rule is rather particular on something being in the tube? I seem to recall the Ehja tube being the source of this, but I can't find any info on these. Weirdly, I have 4 of these Ehja tubes and they are very interesting.

Thanks.

s
GolfShot

Re: ISSF Rule 7.4.1.5 - Barrels

Post by GolfShot »

perhaps to prevent this from happening?
Attachments
CC27C087-8907-4FE9-90C8-8B65519232AF.jpg
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

The highlighted section "Any construction or device inside the barrel or tube" makes me think if two things: first removeable choke tubes, and second silencer baffles. I can't think why anyone would put choke tubes in a smallbore/10m AR, but baffles inside an extension tube would seem to reduce recoil slightly.
Ranger Steve

Post by Ranger Steve »

Golfshot, what you have there is a BR rifle with a Harrell's tuner fitted with the late J. Pappas extension tube ( with holes ) and a weight system. this was developed after the ISSF rules were put in place, and primarily for BR shooting. I also have some of these, and they didn't work any better than a solid tube. It was a neat idea and Pappas was a great guy with many ideas and he is missed for sure in the BR world.

Tim S,

I was thinking the comp thing as well for recoil reduction, but interestingly the Ehja had an insert but it was more like an air splitter than a baffle; there was no mitigation of recoil. Anyhow, I'll keep digging around for more info on this, but I think the comp / baffle aspect is most likely the reason. Chances are the Ehja system was just lumped in with them.

s
j-team

Post by j-team »

I have a silencer insert that fits inside the tube, not ISSF legal, but useful if you train in a noise sensitive location. It can be removed easily, also fouls up a bit and needs regular cleaning.